Pitou has one on his front leg and one under his tail. Vet gave him pills and spray. Evidently the spray is 99% alcohol as if I spray it on him he does Wylie. E. Coyote and levitates two feet in the air before scrambling off. He is at groomer now and she advised apple cider vinegar. I'm willing to try it (can't hurt, might help and it's cheap) but wondered if anyone else has used it. Am going to change protein source in his food and see if that helps.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

What spray did she give you? Can you just apply antibiotic ointment? I read recently that Neosporin can be problematic for some dogs but in most cases it's fine, or there are others.

If there's no infection present, you could also try EMT gel or spray. It supposedly creates a barrier to prevent infection and has a bitter component to deter licking. I have personally tasted it (not on purpose) and it's very bitter. Also supposed to promote collagen/healing. It's not particularly expensive though you may have to order it online. I'm using it for the sore on Zuri's toe and it dries it out nicely.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

She gave me GenOne. I have used EMT gel and spray for about 15 years years on owies. I'm one of their biggest fans and they sell it in the equine aisle at Tractor Supply here...just wasn't sure if it would be the best route for something that seems bacterial/allergy based. :dunno

Edited by Hubcitypam

She gave me GenOne. I have used EMT gel and spray for about 15 years years on owies. I'm one of their biggest fans and they sell it in the equine aisle at Tractor Supply here...just wasn't sure if it would be the best route for something that seems bacterial/allergy based. :dunno

Well I'm not a vet so take my advice with a grain of salt. ;) As far as I know it does not contain an anti-bacterial, which is why I mentioned using it if the wounds are not infected. If they are already infected I might use something else.

Any chance it's just the spraying that's freaking him out? Could you try applying it with a sterile gauze pad?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest budsmom

If the sores are at all open I would be concerned that vinegar might sting. I second the EMT gel, or calendula gel. It's natural and works really great on mild burns, scrapes, and the like. I get mine at the local food co-op.

I'm a fan of Vetrycin spray ... the cold may bother the wound, but it's not bothering Riley with his wounds that required stitches last week. I also have a few essential oils (pharmaceutical grade only) that help ... copaiba has a numbing trait, and Purification (Young Living) has some fantastic healing properties. Even Lavender oil will work for minor skin issues (e.g., if you catch the wound early).

Lick granuloma's are in a sense ocd related. Often the licking is just a developed habit and one really hard to break.

Often they don't heal due to the fact that the pet continues to lick. If it's not a true LG then, yes, could be allergy related and apoquel to stop the itch and a topical cream to help heal will certainly help.

Lick granuloma's are in a sense ocd related. Often the licking is just a developed habit and one really hard to break.

Often they don't heal due to the fact that the pet continues to lick. If it's not a true LG then, yes, could be allergy related and apoquel to stop the itch and a topical cream to help heal will certainly help.

The vet said I could come get cream. :dunno The thing is I almost never see him lick and I'm here pretty much 24/7. Does he just go into overdrive when I'm asleep?