Cod Liver Oil Capsules (Human Versions)

Guest johnnydrum

Hi Jonny. I use human fish oil supplements for Ken, as I did for Doc before him. It's convenient, and it's cheaper. I often suspect that the manufacturers of pet health products operate some kind of price cartel - things like dog toothpaste too always seem to cost a fortune compared to the human kind. (That said you really mustn't use human toothpaste on a dog, the fluoride is a no-no.)

I do prefer to give fish body oil ones, rather than codliver oil, because as I understand it the high levels of vitamin A in the latter can be a problem for dogs. But to be honest I don't think this is likely to be an issue for a big dog like a greyhound having one capsule a day. And indeed Ken is actually on Lidl codliver oil right now because there were no fish body oil capsules in store last week!

Here is quite a helpful article on the subject: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_9/features/Fish-Oil-Supplements-For-Dogs_20600-1.html

I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating - if Sasha is young and healthy and bouncy and her coat is gleaming, then carry on as you are. But when she gets older and her bones begin to creak, then she will probably benefit from a more specifically targeted doggy supplement. Meanwhile have you tried her on sardines? Ken gets a little tin of those (just the Asda Smartprice ones) with his breakfast a couple of times a week instead of the capsule and absolutely loves them.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I think it's fine, but those have a bunch of crap in them other than cod liver oil. I'd buy a salmon oil with as few preservatives as possible. It's the omega fatty acids you're trying to get into the dog--and fish oil is a good source.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest johnnydrum

Thank you everyone.

I really appreciate everyone who has came to assist. I do hope Im not being a pest, but Im suree you know how nerve wrecking being anew parent can be..! lol

I think I will limit her to 2 tablets a week, as I was only just trying to get her coat nice, BUT as she has her Sardines (thanks DocsDoctor, I have sent a PM over to you as we're in the UK and you may be able to help with the Uk brands etc) and shes loving/devouring her Fishskin treats, I think she will be actually getting her Omega3 and other valuable nutrients, regardless of C.L.O. tablets

Edited by johnnydrum

You're not a pest at all, we love helping new parents. :) If she's getting real sardines, I'd stick with just those, they're a great source of calcium and good oils. Or if you want to, add human grade fish oil instead of the cod liver oil.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest johnnydrum

Thank you PatricksMom

I am now, with the help of kind DocsDoctor, reworking Sashas meals.

I was deffo giving her too much C.L.O and the addition of her Sardines, while making her coat lovely, but her stools...well....very un stool-ish....lol

Coconut oil would be a less controversial choice if you're just looking to improve coat quality. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest sireltonsmom

Another good and safe coat enhancer is plain old VO5 mixed 50/50 with water and sprayed on the coat and smoothed into it. Black dogs especially just shine.