Getting Molly To Drink

Guest makalataylor

Guest makalataylor

Any suggestions on getting my new grey to drink? I take her to the water but she is not interested.

I know she was only given water four times a day, but her urine is very dark. I took her to the vet, and she suggested putting pedialyte or chicken broth in her water, but even with that she will only drink a couple of times, and not very much.

Should I just let it be? Her urine is just dark

I'm not familiar with checking for dehydration in horses...and if it the same her capillary refill is decent and her skin pull snaps right back.

When Rocket wouldn't drink I used a splash of Gatorade in his water. The boy has a sweet tooth. You don't need to add much and don't want to add it all the time, but it might encourage her to drink a little more.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Does she get kibble that's moistened with water? Annie drinks less water when her kibble is wet, and I wet it more than just moisten it. She has to do a couple of laps of water to start on the food. I don't moisten her breakfast (because she likes to graze dry kibble until noon) and she drinks a good amount of water in the morning.

Or you could try reversing Feisty49's suggestion and put water in your girl's food. I put a cup in my hounds' dry kibble each meal because they eat so fast they're liable to gag and choke. They don't seem to mind.

her capillary refill is decent and her skin pull snaps right back.

that sounds good

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter