Eating Metal Part Of Usb Cable, Eating Everything!

My dog 3,she with us for no longer than 2 months. She has the habit of collecting things, we started to hide everything, closing some doors.

But today we were out for more time than usual, when we arrived we found:

-headphones: plastic part eaten, destroyed;

- metal part of USB cable eaten;

- heavy bag of apples those were in the kitchen island, which is high.

No matter how we try to hide things, she seemed to learn how to open doors and started to chew cables.

She ate 1,5 avocados once and with the time it's getting worst.

She has 3 or 4 walks a day, plenty of toys, Antler, chewable treats and also those mind games with treats hidden,she's pretty good with them.

She is also spooked so I couldn't make her comfortable with long walks.

My worries are about her safety, no matter how we try to hide things, is hard to hide TV or computer cables and nearly everything, our counter is high and she still can get things from there.

I'm still worried about the metal part of USB cable that she ate. The vet said to observe any vomits or unusual behavior,but definitely I'm worried about her eating something dangerous that we don't know yet that is possibly dangerous to her.

We're told by the rescue to muzzle her in the beginning, I do know they can drink water and eat with them, but I find very sad let her muzzled.

Any tips for this spooked eater girl?

Edited by denisetanaka

Seems you have a curious and smart Laila girl. Age 3 is still puppy-like behavior in a full size Greyhound body, but you'll notice positive maturity changes within the first year. :)

I agree with your adoption group to use her muzzle. Racing Greyhounds are used to wearing their muzzles. During this adjustment period while she's learning to live as a pet in a family home, wearing her muzzle is for her own health and safety. In case you aren't aware, apple core seeds are poisonous to dogs, as are avocados. Poisonous avocado pits could also become an intestinal blockage. She could electrocute herself by chewing a power cord. When dog-proofing rooms, think about the dog standing up on her hind legs to reach things (adult humans' height). Some dogs jump all the way up on kitchen and bathroom counters with all 4 legs. If she's opening round door knobs with her mouth, the muzzle would stop that action. If she's opening flat lever door handles, I'd consider installing round handles and/or adding a slider-lock or hook-lock very high up on any doors that lead outside.

Have you already tried crating or baby-gating (extra tall gate) her in a dog-proofed room when you can't be there to supervise?

If your Greyhound adoption group plans gatherings, Laila could benefit greatly from joining 'Greyhounds only' play dates when all dogs are muzzled, or Greyhound group walks, etc. Shy hounds often gain confidence when teamed up with other Greyhounds, even if just for a few neighborhood walks.

She isn't a child, so please don't find it "sad" to do what your adoption group suggests and muzzle her. It's for her safety. It'll be a whole lot more sad if she eats something that perforates and intestine.

She may have pica, which is a psychological condition which causes the sufferer to eat weird non-food stuff.

Pad the part of the muzzle that rests on her snout, and put the muzzle on her. Remember: it's for her own good.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Definitely muzzle her. She is still curious about everything in her new world. The last thing you want is to come home and find that she has ingested something and choked on it, or ingested a medication that kills her. If anyone in the family uses an inhaler or takes prescription or OTC medications, those items need to be locked up, as do household cleaners and chemicals. Using the muzzle is part of responsible pet ownership.

Your other option is to crate her while you are out. Racing greyhounds are used to being crated, and while many of them grow out of their crates once retired, that privilege comes with being able to be trusted while alone. Your girl hasn't reached that level of trust or training yet.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I liken dogs to kids when it comes to acceptable behavior. What your girl is doing is not acceptable and just like with children, you have to do what's best for your dog, even if it makes you sad. As said above, being muzzled for the time being is better than being hurt or dead.

Guest xengab

We got told that if we can reach it so can our hound.. and thats true. they can get there front paws up on most counters or even jump up there..

2 months in, your grey is only just learning about her new home and what she can and cannot do.

As others have said, please muzzle her. Sad eyes are much better that in pain eyes because she ate something bad.

Crate her or put up baby gates to keep her in one room that is dog proof.

Under these circumstances, muzzle or crate. But some dogs can get into an amazing amount of trouble even muzzled. If she does get something hard/sharp and non-poisoners, give her some bread to cushion it.

Henry is bad about getting into things (although not quite this bad), since keeping the entire house picked up perfectly just wasn't happening, we now baby gate them in the family room. It's much easier to keep one room spotless, and they're hardly suffering with furniture to lounge on and I have two of their dog beds, their toys, and their water in there. Could this help? Maybe you'll have to find a room where you can lock the door (with a indoor lock the fire department can easily open)?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

by all means do not lock the dog in the room. a friend's greyhound accidentally got locked in, the wind blew the door closed. she jumped out of the window- 2nd floor! one of my salukis accidentally got locked in a room, ate the wall board!

i would stick with crate when you are not home. on a 6 foot lead tethered to you so you can correct him when he gets into trouble. once you see he is responding to your corrections then the privilege of being loose, on a dog bed next to you in a down stay. teaching appropiate behavior will keep him in a home, if he's loose and chewing, destroying, maybe harming himself is no favor to anyone. do give him things to chew- in his crate. that's his spot for chewing and you determine what and when he should chew.

many greyhounds do nest and gather. one of mine liked fancy lingerie(my daughter's only), good pocket books(runs in the family) and shoes. fortunately the only thing my fashionista destroyed were muzzles. and oh, yes...she answered the cell phone and brought that into her crate.