Snow Wont Eat And Is Very Lethargic

Guest kar

Snow had not eaten for two days and was very lethargic. it happened all of a sudden. I took her to the evet. they ran bloodwork, did a cytocentesis for urine sample and said she was a bit dehydrated so gave her some fluids and anti nausea pills. tonight I made her some chicken and rice and she ate a little mostly the chicken. has anyone else ever experienced this. she is nine years old. vet said she felt no masses and found nothing else wrong. if it continues they will do other tests. this is 700 later. please write if you have experienced this.

They do get viruses etc. at times. Does she seem to be feeling better? If she keeps the food down and stays hydrated, that's good.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I had a lethargic and listless dog. Took her to the e-vet and they did blood work that determined her system was destroying its own platelets. She'd been at her vet's for a well-dog checkup on Tuesday; she was lethargic Thursday night, by Friday morning she was at the e-vet, and we put her to sleep on Monday, when there was no improvement after steroids and antibiotics. She was 8. They diagnosed immune mediated thrombocytopenia.

I'm not telling you to scare you: if Snow's bloodwork was okay, she's not headed in the same direction Jacey went. But I wanted you to know that the visit to the e-vet was the right thing to do. Scary and expensive, but absolutely right.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest FordRacingRon

Well my girl is 13 1/4. What you described sound like every other day here. I figure it is her age and her lack of activity that causes it here. I used to give her Mirtazapine . I still have a few. If she goes to day 3 without eating I give her half a dose and get tons of food ready because in about an hour she eats like food was invented.

Now in her case it is absolutely not medical as she has had every test in the book done, she is just old. But to me,,she is not losing weight so I just got used to it here.

Our Pete is recently diagnosed with valley fever a fungus thing here in the desert.

But he has lost interest in food. My sister, GreyWrangler suggested raw boneless skinless chicken thighs.

Since giving Pete a half a thigh cut into pieces a few times a day, he has become interested in food again and seems so much better. he gets his medicine in his chicken thigh.

We just stocked up today and i froze some in small packages.

I hope your dog eats soon. For me it got really concerning when Pete didn't even want the cooked chicken and rice.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps

Was this vet aware of Snow's near collapse last week from potential hyperthermia (heat stroke)? I wonder if these symptoms might be a delayed result of lingering damage from that episode(?). Have you noticed any other symptoms during the past 10 days?

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-diseases-conditions-a-z/hyperthermia-dogs-its-not-a-fever

Edited by 3greytjoys

Do you already have blood work results? Kidney values were normal?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Was this vet aware of Snow's near collapse last week from potential hyperthermia (heat stroke)? I wonder if these symptoms might be a delayed result of lingering damage from that episode(?). Have you noticed any other symptoms during the past 10 days?

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-diseases-conditions-a-z/hyperthermia-dogs-its-not-a-fever

How bad has the heat and humidity been in your area? It may just be too much for her this year. I notice that out here in LA, with the heat Tallulah is down about 1 meal per week... or she would be if I didn't just adjust and add to the following meals.

Have you tried some yummy Ensure? Maybe she'd be willing to drink some calories.

she now has diahrhea . picked up meds from vet for that. she is eating rice and I/d canned stew. I just don't know how much to feed her since she has the diahrhea. she has lost weight. my son who has not seen her for a while said she looks very thin. I know she used to weigh 76 lbs. one year ago. now she weighs 70 or after this maybe less. do greys loose weight as they age? she is 9.

just to watch her. I know that she is on a kidney diet, which she is not too fond of. but did have a good appetite until this happened. I had been walking her two miles each day for a long time. maybe this was too much for her? of course now with the heat I am not walking her at all. all tests come back normal. she even had an ultrasound about 8 months ago. all was good. right now she is not on a kidney diet because she wont touch regular dog food. she has pln but all kidney function tests are normal. she does get a lot of uti's though. just got off a long stint of antibiotics. my other two greys died young, one at 5 one at 9. one had cancer, don't know what was wrong the the other.

Edited by kar

Hope she is feeling better soon!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

gentle hugs.

I have a 12.5 yo, and he's still within 1# of his racing weight, but I do know that is better than expected. First priority is to keep the hounds hydrated and comfortable, and then when they get old & picky, make sure they get calories however they'll take them. Nutrient content falls below the others, although I do try to keep them balanced as close as possible to keep Riley's health as strong as possible.

GOOD LUCK, and please keep us informed. You have our prayers and support.

Edited by juliemac

I've cooked up sautéed chicken or beef Chinese style for flavor and also cooked rice in chicken broth. But when a dog doesn't want to eat,they are feeling pretty lousy. Have you tried plain graham crackers? When one of my dogs had parvo (and yes he survived) it was tiny amounts of rice and graham crackers. Everything was measured and he was hydrated every other day. Do check the skin for dehydration.and ask your vet about additional anti nausea drugs. Good luck and your doing the right thing having such a watchful eye.

Glad she's eating a bit more now. The kidney diet could have contributed to her weight reduction, especially if fewer calories per cup than her previous food, and if her activity level remained the same. Each hound is different but our 8-9 year olds haven't lost much weight. (I've had more difficulty keeping weight on 12 and 13 year olds.)

Additional thoughts:

If she's taken any medications without enough food, it could potentially set her into a domino effect of tummy discomfort, further lack of appetite, and diarrhea.

(Happened with one of our geriatric hounds while on antibiotics, and took him 2-3 weeks to fully recover. He couldn't even tolerate Pepcid during that time.)

If needed, Gerber's (Stage 2) meat only baby food is an excellent food to help entice ill animals to eat meals. This Gerber food does not have any pet toxic spices like onions or garlic.

(Check with your vet first since your girl has PLN.)

Assuming her teeth and gums are in good condition since dental pain can cause chewing problems that can eventually appear as a lack of appetite.

If the diarrhea isn't related to anything else, since she wasn't feeling well, perhaps she might have tried to nibble on plant leaves or grasses (that were mildly toxic) and gave her diarrhea.

Positive healing thoughts for your sweet girl.

ETA: Walking two miles a day in cool or cold weather with low humidity is fine for healthy 9 year olds.

Edited by 3greytjoys

just to watch her. I know that she is on a kidney diet, which she is not too fond of. but did have a good appetite until this happened. I had been walking her two miles each day for a long time. maybe this was too much for her? of course now with the heat I am not walking her at all. all tests come back normal. she even had an ultrasound about 8 months ago. all was good. right now she is not on a kidney diet because she wont touch regular dog food. she has pln but all kidney function tests are normal. she does get a lot of uti's though. just got off a long stint of antibiotics. my other two greys died young, one at 5 one at 9. one had cancer, don't know what was wrong the the other.

I'm going to ask what might sound like a dumb question, but it is because I made Aquitaine lose weight when she went on a kidney diet. We switched from a high grade kibble to the canned iD kidney diet. Her silly human just swapped a can of food for each meal. I didn't do the match to see if she was getting the same amount of calories... needless to say, she lost weight. I realized what I had done and added back calories. I added in lots of bow tie pasta cooked with hamburger or chicken, or I used Fresh Pet as an add in since that girl LOVED her Fresh Pet.

I hope things look up soon.

How is she doing today?

Guest FordRacingRon

she now has diahrhea . picked up meds from vet for that. she is eating rice and I/d canned stew. I just don't know how much to feed her since she has the diahrhea. she has lost weight. my son who has not seen her for a while said she looks very thin. I know she used to weigh 76 lbs. one year ago. now she weighs 70 or after this maybe less. do greys loose weight as they age? she is 9.

Mine was actually too heavy but lost weight to put her at a perfect weight , and she is 13 1/4. But there has to be something else going on there. MIne for sure did not start the weight loss until about 11. She probably only eats 5 days a week,,,,some days it is just not going to happen. Just a treat on those days.

Wondering how Snow is feeling?

I hope she is doing better.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps

that id canned diet is remarkable. i don't know how they pack so many calories into one can of low fat food. and yes, i have observed weight loss in a 9 year old. my male is now 9.5 and when i compare pics to last summer's weight, he's down. the scale says 2 or 3#s but their muscle mass changes as they don't exercise like they used to. a person whose greyhound's nails i cut has her dog on id diet, 4xs a day. he now looks GREAT! he has IBS. i too have started to feed 3xs sometime 4xs a day, low fat foods require more frequent feedings and i was dealing w/ pancretatis. also, the small meals are better for their tummies, less stress and less risk of bloat than large meals. have you boiled chicken breast(dice and place in water and boil in the microwave for 4 min.). at $1.99 # it's cheaper than the ID stuff and mine go bonkers over the broth.

as to calories, i try to get around 1500 in daily for a 72#male. the carbs, if you can get her to eat pasta or rice(both are bland and excellent) will help w/ calorie count and they are both carbs which will help.

I am thinking of you today and wondering how she is. I hope she is eating for you! Chicken and rice helped my hounds when they are sick. I put plain yogurt in the bowl with the chicken and rice. It helps the tummy. Good luck and good thoughts are with you both!