Epsom Salt Soak For Paw

Was thinking (as I lie here in bed unable to sleep wondering if Zuri's paw will be less swollen when we get up :P) that Epsom salt soaks might be a good idea. What say ye? Good idea for a potentially infected toe wound? I also read a suggestion for an iodine soak. Not sure which would be better.

If we do the salts, does anyone know the best ratio to use? And do you need to rinse the paw afterward (or would wiping with a damp cloth suffice)?

Thanks!

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I dont know perfect ratios, but the suggestions are on the bag. I just put a fistfull into a yogurt container and go. My fists are rather tiny tho. No rinsing afterward. Just take paw out of yogurt container on a paper towel and just dab off the water so paw isnt soaked. Zuri might wanna lick tho since it will be rather wet.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Do both at the same time. A little squirt of iodine and about a tablespoon of salt in a half filled gallon zip lock bag with warm water. Soak 15-20 minutes, dump bag and add warm clean water to rinse. Dry well with a towel.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Do both at the same time. A little squirt of iodine and about a tablespoon of salt in a half filled gallon zip lock bag with warm water. Soak 15-20 minutes, dump bag and add warm clean water to rinse. Dry well with a towel.

Thanks. The Ziploc bag didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Lots of water everywhere. :P Will try putting less in next time.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

With the caveat that I've never actually tried this, in the past people have suggested soaking a washcloth or dishcloth in the salt solution, wrapping it while pretty much dripping wet around the paw, and then vetwrapping a bag over top. Probably need to wrap the bag around the paw before the vetwrap keep the cloth in position.

I've done that in the past, but really wanted a full on soak. We're trying to hit this thing hard. :P

If we're not successful with our second try or as we see some improvement I will probably go that route. I think I just had too much water in the bag.

Edited by NeylasMom

Thanks. The Ziploc bag didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Lots of water everywhere. :P Will try putting less in next time.

Yeah that happens a lot here too. I stick several bath towels underneath the bag. With Rebel it's a battle to get his foot in the bag and getting him leave it there.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Yeah that happens a lot here too. I stick several bath towels underneath the bag. With Rebel it's a battle to get his foot in the bag and getting him leave it there.

I did the bag, partially filled, with towels underneath and Aquitaine standing and me on the floor next to her petting and cooing and holding the bag/leg so she didn't kick it off!

i use a bowl or plastic container- the w/ the epsoms salts in it, towel under the bowl and feed them something special. 10 min, 3xs a day. the amount of salts & water???? i buy it in bulk, so it's 1/4-1/3 cup to probably 32 oz of water in the microwave for 3 min. i prepare this once a day, pour some into a good size bowl or plastic container and soak, throw out the used portion.

i was going to suggest it, but i'm pretty old fashioned and after reading about cold laser therapy i thought that you might just laugh at the suggestion. it should dry up the area, leave it unbandaged.

I've had better luck with a large plastic cup. Like you'd buy for summer picnicking. I don't fuss too much about the amounts, throw some in and stir a lot.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.