Best Way To Cool A Hot Dog?

With these crazy hot temperatures, its easy for dogs to get too hot. Tips and tricks are always welcome on how to cool off a hot dog, but I'm not sure I know of the best way!

We came back from a walk (29C with 44% humidity during our walk, but is expected to soar to 40C later today). Ryder was very slow heading out, enjoyed a shady trail but a full sun walk there and back - but he trotted home, dragging me! (Second wind?) I hosed him off completely when we got back (not only because he found a good mud muddle but I had to cool him off), good 2 mins under a hose soaking his entire body which he didn't refuse. He drank (on the walk) but drank a lot when we got back. He's now laying on his bed with a cold, wet towel on his still wet body. I even put ice cubes under his paws! He's no longer panting and he's snoozing in front of a fan. He seemed to completely cool off within a half hour of doing this. I'm surprised how quickly he stopped panting too.

Is this the proper approach to bring a dog's temp down? (The ice cubes may have been over the top!)

Now to cool me down!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Check out the responses in this thread. http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/318376-over-this-heat/

I have used the wet towel and a fan for Rocket in the past. The only thing you need to be careful of is that the towel will hold heat in once it warms up, so rotate it out a few times.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We are experiencing the same horrid heat here in Eastern Ontario.

There is no way I'd even consider walking at this time of day.

We walk before 7 am. We're gone for 30-45 minutes.

We alternate our route, but usually head East leaving home, so the sun is facing us then and at our backs when we turn around to come home. Our alternate route is a shaded gravel road...the deer flies have been bad down there until just this past week making it impossible to enjoy the walk.

A spray bottle of water kept in the fridge is a good for spritzing hot dogs. Mine seem to enjoy it.

They also lay by fans. We don't have central AC ...only a couple of portable units downstairs.

A wet towel will heat up quickly from Ryders body heat, trapping heat under it. I'd only leave it on for a couple of minutes, then take it off and re-wet it if he won't tolerate being spritzed.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Yup. Wet towel didn't stay on long. He's up and happy enjoying a stuffed bone containing PB and kibble. Coincidentally, I found this today on our local online newspaper.

http://m.bramptonguardian.com/opinion-story/6795177-keeping-your-pet-cool

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Prevention may be better than treatment. I have taken to carrying a nalgene bottle with water in it, along with one of those folding cloth traveling water bowls. Max loves it (I feel bad I have not carried it last year and most of this year), Logan may drink a bit out of it but is not excited by it (Logan prefers to drink directly out of water fountains or lawn sprinklers; Max won't touch those). They don't drink too much (even Max), the most I have had them consume is maybe half of one of the smaller naglene bottles. Two things: water is heavy and the dog probably should not drink too much (bloat risk?), so don't go with the really big (e.g. 1 liter) nalgene bottle; and it is easy to use the cloth bowl as a funnel to pour any unused water back into the nalgene bottle. If you have neighbors watering the lawn you could also obtain refill water from the sprinkler if you run out (not stealing - exigent circumstances :-)

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Guest RyanR

A Greyhound can pant so hard you can roll a golf ball down his throat. That's not always a time to freak out, but it is a time to get him cooled off. The most important thing when he's panting like this, look at his eyes and the expression on his face -- and be smart about what you're seeing. If he has a look of distress, go find a garden hose and spray the holy hell out of your dog. Don't take time to ask, just use the hose and apologize later if you have to. If your walking him, your dog will try to bolt when spraying. Don't let him. If he tries to slip out, back up with him and keep slack in his lead. If there's slack, he can't slip out. Strongarm his collar if you have to.

If you're in the car, roll down the rear window, but not down enough that he can escape, and hose the crap out of him right there in the back of your car. Hose first and apologize later.

I'll echo what others have said, prevention is best, but in full disclosure I have used the emergency hose treatment myself in the past.

Hose them down and continue hosing and concentrate the bulk of the cool water on their underbelly, throat, and between their legs. Offer water in small amounts, not allowing them to gulp or drink too much. I cool them out like I hot-walked the race horse: slow walking, hosing the major blood producing areas, and offering small amounts of fresh water.

If you carry a spray bottle of water during your walks, spray their underside, not their backs. The water on their back will just produce steam and will probably exacerbate the overheating.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Hose them down and continue hosing and concentrate the bulk of the cool water on their underbelly, throat, and between their legs. Offer water in small amounts, not allowing them to gulp or drink too much. I cool them out like I hot-walked the race horse: slow walking, hosing the major blood producing areas, and offering small amounts of fresh water.

If you carry a spray bottle of water during your walks, spray their underside, not their backs. The water on their back will just produce steam and will probably exacerbate the overheating.

i find the spray bottle, cooling coats and wet towels did nothing.

i use the hose method. as a matter of fact just used it last weekend a kind stranger let me hose the dogs down. we were on a walk and ran across an individual in the woods with a rifle!! YIKES, it was cool where we were walking but bolted up to the street via the first back yard. fortunately a stranger was washing some fish and let us hose the dogs down as we called the police. the dogs ended up waiting in the shade as dh retrieved the car. it was in the high 90s in the street, low 80s where we were walking with a breeze from the erie canal. but one never knows where you can end up. stores, strangers, individuals with kind hearts will always lend you their hose.

i find the spray bottle, cooling coats and wet towels did nothing.

i use the hose method. as a matter of fact just used it last weekend a kind stranger let me hose the dogs down. we were on a walk and ran across an individual in the woods with a rifle!! YIKES, it was cool where we were walking but bolted up to the street via the first back yard. fortunately a stranger was washing some fish and let us hose the dogs down as we called the police. the dogs ended up waiting in the shade as dh retrieved the car. it was in the high 90s in the street, low 80s where we were walking with a breeze from the erie canal. but one never knows where you can end up. stores, strangers, individuals with kind hearts will always lend you their hose.

Yes, they do nothing. Years ago, I was walking with a Gordon Setter and I saw a hose, walked into the front yard and hosed him off. :lol :lol No one was home, but he was hot and so I did what I needed to do. :)

Yup. I have been a scofflaw most of my life. :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Mr. wizard cools a hot dog, (about halfway -2:20-ish and 4:40-ish) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wJAG7GcQEI

this show would never make it nowadays, not PC.

i suspect you mean another species of hot dog tho. :D

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest Sportingfields

Prevention, prevention, prevention...... if your does become overheated find a hose, most neighbors will oblige you using their water to cool your dog down. Just because one day a particular temp & humidity is okay doesn't mean it won't adversely affect him on another.

Please, I beg of you don't use cool coats or towels. I don't care whom makes them, their claims of success or if it has specific instructions for use or if your best friend uses them successfully all the time. I refused to make cool coats while I had my sewing business. It takes but seconds of use on an overheated dog for it's blood to start boiling and accelerating the process of the dog dying on you. I know of one instance a Greyhound did die due to improper use of the cool coat. Lot's of stuff went wrong for this dog, trapping body heat under a wet towel certainly did nothing to save it. A hose or free running water source like a stream are much better & safer options, cooling down slowly is best. Prevention is your best line of defense. Dog's don't want to go extended distances in super hot weather anymore than they want to go in frigid single digit weather. They'll go if you ask them of it, left to their own devices they'd stay in cool or warm spaces during extreme weather, except for quick toilet trips. Off my cool coats can be deadly soap box... ;)

Edited by Sportingfields