Gap Diet Advice?

Guest EmililyVictoria

Guest EmililyVictoria

I'm new here, so hi! :)

When we picked our boy up from the state GAP, they mentioned not feeding him rice and pasta type grains, only his high quality kibble and fresh meat. I've seen some grey specific recipes online that use both of these grains. Are they safe for him to eat?

Also, I've seen a number of different sources say baking soda is bad for them too, and some recipes call for it. Any ideas?

I am not sure where you are located, but I am guessing not in the US? At any rate, I have never heard that rice or pasta were bad for greys, unless you are feeding a grain free diet (obviously ;) ). I have also never heard of using baking soda, but I also have never heard of it being bad. You will get a lot of different opinions of what to feed :)

Rice and pasta (and most other grains) are completely safe to feed,but whether you do or not, is a personal decision. I see you are in Australia where raw feeding is quite popular...your dog has probably been used to the diet they recommend so if he does well it is probably a good idea to continue if you can. My guys get mostly meat but they eat the odd table scrap with pasta, potato, oatmeal, rice, etc. and it is fine. Others here feed diets that are very high in grains and their dogs seem to do okay too.

No idea about baking soda, but I am sure my guys have eaten it before at some point.

Here in the US, it's more common to feed commercial, kibble-based diets than in other countries. Most of them have some sort of carb source to try and keep the cost low. Most greyhounds do fine with these commercial grain-meat diets, though there are dogs that have issues (allergies and intolerances) with a carb or meat source.

While you don't want to have your dog's diet be mainly carbs, they really don't hurt them, and they do provide energy and nutrients just as they do in people. Pasta and rice, specifically, are fine for dogs, and both are used as part of a "bland diet" here when dogs have intestinal upsets (vomiting and/or diarrhea).

Though, as stated above, if your dog has been eating a particular diet for a while, you should probably continue to feed the same until his transition to your home is complete and you have decided how/what you want to feed him. There are many (many many many) threads here about kibble, kibble vs raw, raw, and many other diets if you want to look them over. Be aware it's mostly US-based information though we do have quite a few Aussie members now!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly