Hypnic Jerk/sleep Disorders

Guest RyanR

Guest RyanR

My 6-year-old girl Callie suffers from massive full-body spasms while sleeping - but only twice so far, roughly a year ago and again a few days ago. The spasm, or jerk, happens once and it's over and it's so violent Callie's body will jerk into the air two feet or so. Immediately following, she'll lay motionless on her side for a long minute looking like she's taking her last breathes. She'll get up with no post-seizure behaviour, no pain, no tilted head or eye twitch, nothing, but did lose her sense of balance for about 15 minutes last time.

Has anyone's Greyhound gone through something like this? CVC thinks it's either a sleep disorder or a nuerological desease...

It's probably a seizure. Take her to a neurologist and have him/her check her out. She should not need meds at this point (criteria for meds typically is 1 seizure a month or cluster seizures which is more than 3 in one day) but, she should have some type of cluster buster like rectal valium just in case she goes into "status". You also want to talk to the neurologist about being able to handle the seizures at home because otherwise, taking her to the ER vet each time after a seizure can cost hundred's and they would probably treat by giving valium.

My Lucy is a seizure (clusters) girl.

You might also want to be aware to watch very carefully when she is with other dogs because if she goes into this behavior - it's highly likely that the other dogs will turn and try and kill her.

I also would urge an appointment with a neurologist. It's such a fast changing discipline right now that no regular vet can keep up with all the new information.

It does sound like some sort of seizure to me. And a focal seizure many times doesn't have any post-event behavior like a longer or harder seizure would. You may find it useful to try and video the behavior. You should also keep a seizure log - even if it's not a seizure - as writing down everything you can might show you a pattern in time. Include the day, date, time, behavior before/during/after, any unusual behavior for 24 hours surrounding the event, foods and treats eaten, vaccinations or other medical info.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If you can have a camera or phone and video the spasms or episode, so the vet or neurologist can see what she is doing.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps

My girl can have occasional wild dreams where she'll thrash against the wall as she sleeps on her side. They last less then 10 seconds. If I call to her she is oblivious, but falls back to a quieter sleep.

Is there any chance this is a very active dream?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest RyanR

A sleep disorder was the first thing Dr. Couto & Co. suggested, followed with nuerological desease. For those of us who have raised these dogs for decades, I'm going on my third, it's easy to fear the worst because we've gone through it. She is getting tested, but I am intetested in what others have to say who have dogs with sleep disorders because that's still on the table..