Debarked Greyhound

I would have this dog scoped. The debarking procedure doesn't effect their breathing-it's snips a sample of the vocal cords-they can actually still bark -however, the bark will be "muffled". This dog sounds like he has LarPar (LP) and he could find himself in a breathing crisis-frosty paws will not help.

The scoping is a very easy procedure-essentially your dog will be lightly sedated and the veterinarian will visualize the laryngeal folds as the dog breathes. I would keep this guy an the a/c and min his activity until he has been seen.

Thanks for adopting his fellow-glad you found each other.

He recently (within the last year) had surgery to clear scar tissue caused by the debarking. So he has been checked. I don't have the records yet. I hope they will shed some light on the issue.

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

I can't believe that somebody does that horrifying cruelty to a dog...who is the vet, who does such an unethical surgery?

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest FordRacingRon

All I can say is bless you for taking this pup,,,and (not directed at OP),,do we live in the middle ages now? I never even heard of such garbage to be done to a dog. Vet should lose his/her voice box and see how they like it.

All I can say is bless you for taking this pup,,,and (not directed at OP),,do we live in the middle ages now? I never even heard of such garbage to be done to a dog. Vet should lose his/her voice box and see how they like it.

Agreed.

Guest AtticusMom

I have not had a grey that was de-barked (even the barkiest greyhounds don't bark that much, do they? good grief)... I don't know if this is analogous, but I did have a greyhound with only half a tongue. He did not have much stamina on walks, and the hot weather only made things harder. He could really only walk a few blocks, in mild weather. Having said that, he was very playful at home! Our vet said to respect what he was telling us when we were out on walks, and not to push him with regard to exercise.

• 1 month later...
Guest firegypsy

My youngest grey was debarked. It hurts to hear him when he's vocal, it just makes me sick to my stomach. It's one of the worst sounds I've ever heard.

It was done on the track, believe it or not. He came straight to me when he retired. It's totally barbaric, and it makes me seethe with anger. He is a barker, but only when he can't get to us. He never, ever barks unless he's outside and wants to come in, is inside and wants to get out, or, we're in a room he can't get to. He's the loviest grey I've ever had (and I've had many!)

I'm so sorry your baby went through this too. :(