Debarked Greyhound

Does anyone have experienced with a debarked dog? (I posted this in the FB group also).

Adopted hound number two on Saturday. Allie picked him out. His name is Davis. He is seven year old bounce. His previous adopters returned him after three years and they had him debarked. I am told it was so that they didn't have to listen to him whine, instead of dealing with his SA in other ways (like contacting the adoption group for help).

He recently had revision surgery to remove scar tissue that was affecting his breathing. He has healed well.

What I have noticed so far:

His pant is very loud, full open mouth, and harsh. I was assured that even though it sounds bad, he is getting plenty of air.

His bark is a mix of a cough and a grunt

Haven't heard him growl yet, but he should be able to.

I was advised to moisten his food slightly, just so it isn't completely dry

Frosty Paws ice cream was recommended if his pants sound especially bad

He cannot tolerate heat well

He doesn't have a lot of stamina

He is a sweet, soft, loving boy. Since he has lived in homes for years, he just came right in, found a bed and plopped down. He looks to Allie for cues if he isn't sure how to react to something. He is cat safe and has exchanged somewhat disinterested sniffs with my one dog-tolerant/curious cat (Mina). He and Allie are getting along great; they already walk together on leash amazingly well.

If anyone has experience, tips, or things I should know about debarked dogs, I would appreciate all the info I can get.

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

Thank you for offering your home and heart to sweet Davis. I am quite sure he has never experienced the level of love that he has found with you. I have no info on debarked dogs. Personally I think it is unconscionable that some jerks deliberately mutilated him like that. Like others who truly love hounds you have stepped forward to deal with the ravages of it for the sake of Davis. God bless you. Hugs to sweet Davis. Thanks to you he will learn that all humans don't indiscriminately mutilate you for their convenience. Yes I am brutally frank. I myself had a houndie (Goldie) who had been surgically mutilated for no apparent valid reason so bad that my vet was embarrassed to have to tell me it was why he was in pain.

How sad for him. But it sounds like he's found the right home now. :)

The only thing I know about debarked dogs is that it doesn't always work. I knew someone who took in a sheltie who'd been debarked and he was barking again by the time they got him.

God bless you for taking this fellow in. He sounds wonderful.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Maybe he wasn't walked much and that is why he has so little stamina? Hopefully you will be able to build him up to being able to enjoy a good, interesting walk after a few months.

It sounds as though he knows he is in a good place now, I hope he spends many happy, loving years with you!

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

12 year old Percy to us last year after found running the streets in Florida. Little is known of his past and his original adoption group closed and no records were kept.

He has think scarring on the underside of his throat. Unknown if that's from a prong collar or debarking (which I do doubt) as we have never heard him bark. He also had duct tape residue on his snout.

Earlier this year he started grasping for breath and wheezing. He'd had anesthesia for teeth removal (a horror story) and his larynx was OK then.

Though he could not be scoped for a definitively diagnosis, his symptoms led us to a diagnosis of laryngeal paralysis. Vet Jjng on GT suggestioned using Doxepin 50mg twice a day. (This is an off-label use as normally it's for depression in humans).

It would be worth discussing this with your vet. We get the Doxepin at a regular pharmacy. The improvement in Percy showed quickly, though we can tell when he is nearing his next dose time. It will be less effective of the dog has had LP for a long time.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I have no experience with de-barking (and think it is disgusting that any owner or vet would do this) but I do wonder if the nerves in his larynx could have been damaged during the surgery and caused or contributed to laryngeal paralysis.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

No helpful ideas here but I never heard of something like that before. Every vet in Germany would kick you out of his office and send animal control after you because of cruelty if you even considered such a deranged thing. What a strange world we live in.

Thank you for adopting Davis and giving him the love and the home he deserves.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Maybe he wasn't walked much and that is why he has so little stamina? Hopefully you will be able to build him up to being able to enjoy a good, interesting walk after a few months.

It sounds as though he knows he is in a good place now, I hope he spends many happy, loving years with you!

He has wonderful leash manners. I am so proud to walk him and Allie together, they are so well behaved. They put every other dog in the neighborhood to shame. And he loves going for a walk. Does a little happy dance whenever I get the leashes. His feet are ouchie right now since he is not used to the pavement. But he doesn't seem to mind and certainly doesn't let it stop him.

12 year old Percy to us last year after found running the streets in Florida. Little is known of his past and his original adoption group closed and no records were kept.

He has think scarring on the underside of his throat. Unknown if that's from a prong collar or debarking (which I do doubt) as we have never heard him bark. He also had duct tape residue on his snout.

Earlier this year he started grasping for breath and wheezing. He'd had anesthesia for teeth removal (a horror story) and his larynx was OK then.

Though he could not be scoped for a definitively diagnosis, his symptoms led us to a diagnosis of laryngeal paralysis. Vet Jjng on GT suggestioned using Doxepin 50mg twice a day. (This is an off-label use as normally it's for depression in humans).

It would be worth discussing this with your vet. We get the Doxepin at a regular pharmacy. The improvement in Percy showed quickly, though we can tell when he is nearing his next dose time. It will be less effective of the dog has had LP for a long time.

I have no experience with de-barking (and think it is disgusting that any owner or vet would do this) but I do wonder if the nerves in his larynx could have been damaged during the surgery and caused or contributed to laryngeal paralysis.

The adoption coordinator is working on getting all of his medical records to me. Hopefully those will shed more light for me and my vet. Davis wasn't actually on their list of adoptable dogs yet. But, when I contacted her for a second dog, she thought he was perfect for us and us for him.

No helpful ideas here but I never heard of something like that before. Every vet in Germany would kick you out of his office and send animal control after you because of cruelty if you even considered such a deranged thing. What a strange world we live in.

Thank you for adopting Davis and giving him the love and the home he deserves.

From what I have found out, debarking is outlawed in many European countries.

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

I can't believe there are veterinarians still doing this surgery. :( But very glad he found his way to you.

I agree with the other suggestions to explore the possibility of laryngeal paralysis.

Congrats on your new family member! :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I can't believe there are veterinarians still doing this surgery. :( But very glad he found his way to you.

I agree with the other suggestions to explore the possibility of laryngeal paralysis.

Congrats on your new family member! :)

I am so glad he is with us too.

His previous adopters returned him because they moved........and bought a house in an exclusive gated community that doesn't allow dogs. After having him for three years, they made the conscious choice to move without him. Makes my blood boil.

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper" 

Guest Scouts_mom

My sister has a smooth collie, from a collie rescue, that was de-barked. Collies do bark a lot. They had to be able to bark loudly to let the shepherd the next ridge over know that the lost sheep had been found. So I understand why the previous owner had the surgery done, but I like to think there must have been a better solution. Trea's bark now sounds like a hoarse cough--which she does constantly (she is a very active, bossy girl). She has never had any health problems related to the de-barking.

My sister also has a rough collie who has a very LOUD bark. Luckily, he is very relaxed and doesn't bark too much.

Every symptom you describe absolutely fits laryngeal paralysis (rough and frequent panting, gaping mouth for air, hoarse bark, low stamina, low heat tolerance). Whether caused by or exacerbated by the de-barking surgery, or whether it is purely coincidental, there's no way to know, since some dogs get LP even without that surgery. Since he is youngish, you might look into tieback surgery as an option too. It's not for everyone, but may be worth considering, if he's a good surgical candidate.

You should also, if you're not already, walk him on harness only, not a collar, to reduce stress to his neck and airway.

p.s. who the hell debarks a greyhound? Ugh, people. :(

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest MnMDogs

Do you know for certain he was debarked? Mork had LP and after a time, he could barely bark - it was more of a squeak and an air puff (followed by lots of gagging, and attempts to try to clear his throat).

We did end up having the tieback (that Zoomdoggy mentions above), and he then completely lost his bark, but his breathing was 100% improved.

Good luck with your new boy.

I should add that when Mork developed such advance signs of LP he was at least 11 years old. Please keep us posted on Davis.

Edited by MnMDogs

Guest xengab

I'd have him checked out by a vet you trust and see if he needs any scar tissue removed.

Panting could be due to being in a new home or his debarking

Sorry no reason to debark an animal, just like declawing cats, its not needed and most other countries already have made this illegal.

Enjoy your new houndie!

The best thing those other people ever did was to return him, then he found you and real love. Yay you :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My Lab had LP, she had tieback surgery at age almost 13, she lived another two years, which is ancient for a Lab. Her bark afterwards was a raspy one, instead of her deep WOOF, and sshe lost the ability to whine.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

We knew a Sheltie named Chase that was going to be a show dog, that had been de-barked. He was so sweet. And he could still make a noise, like a grunt not a bark.

Congratulations on your new family member. He is in for the BEST years of his life.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps

I am so glad he is with us too.

His previous adopters returned him because they moved........and bought a house in an exclusive gated community that doesn't allow dogs. After having him for three years, they made the conscious choice to move without him. Makes my blood boil.

He is much better off with you than with people who think it's OK to de-bark a dog with SA, so it's all worked out well for him.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I would have this dog scoped. The debarking procedure doesn't effect their breathing-it's snips a sample of the vocal cords-they can actually still bark -however, the bark will be "muffled". This dog sounds like he has LarPar (LP) and he could find himself in a breathing crisis-frosty paws will not help.

The scoping is a very easy procedure-essentially your dog will be lightly sedated and the veterinarian will visualize the laryngeal folds as the dog breathes. I would keep this guy an the a/c and min his activity until he has been seen.

Thanks for adopting his fellow-glad you found each other.

I'd have him checked out by a vet you trust and see if he needs any scar tissue removed.

Panting could be due to being in a new home or his debarking

Sorry no reason to debark an animal, just like declawing cats, its not needed and most other countries already have made this illegal.

Enjoy your new houndie!

As I read this I thought about the communities that have outlawed declawing cats. And yet, a vet would suggest debarking a dog who is not even a problem barker! :yikes

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

I would have this dog scoped. The debarking procedure doesn't effect their breathing-it's snips a sample of the vocal cords-they can actually still bark -however, the bark will be "muffled". This dog sounds like he has LarPar (LP) and he could find himself in a breathing crisis-frosty paws will not help.

The scoping is a very easy procedure-essentially your dog will be lightly sedated and the veterinarian will visualize the laryngeal folds as the dog breathes. I would keep this guy an the a/c and min his activity until he has been seen.

Thanks for adopting his fellow-glad you found each other.

Yup!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****