Explain This

This one is for the dog whisperers out there. I have had Logan for over 3 years now. He has couch and chair privileges, and has never tried to get on my bed, though there has always been a dog bed in my bedroom, two after I got Max, and he sleeps either there or on the living room couch.

Friday I got home late, just after 8.30 pm rather than more usual 7 pm. I have a dogsitter comes midday. The other difference was my brother, who lives with me, was out of town. So, Logan had done no. 2 in the house. Not surprising, my fault and I did not yell either at him or the situation, cleaned it up and went for the usual walk. Logan was clearly upset about it though. I do think he may have jumped on my bed Friday.

So this evening, I get ready for bed, and go in and find Logan on my bed.I make him get off, no yelling actually thinking its amusing. Go back to finish in the bathroom and he jumps right back on. Happened once more then he went to the living room couch where he usually sleeps.

So my question is, why the sudden attraction of my bed after 3+ years? I actually would not mind him sleeping there except I am on cpap for sleep apnea and do have dog allergy, though no reaction to Logan, so I dont want to get it started. I am thinking it must have something to do with his accident in the house Friday. BTW, he must have really tried to hold it, ended up with about 5 different dirrerhia spots distributed around, really felt bad about it.

Any thoughts on the dog psychology here?

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

IMO, despite what people say, dogs know when they have done something they shouldn't and do try and mitigate the consequences. He was probably searching for your reassurance and a reassertion of the *right* way his life should be. The disruption of his daily schedule, and his accident, along with the other issues you described might cause him to need a bit of a reset for him to feel comfortable. Some extra cuddles and alone time, and a few extra special treats or something special he likes and finds reassuring, and he should be OK.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My guess, abnormal routine and people absent, he was lonely or mildly anxious. May have jumped into your bed for reassurance (your smell) and made the startling discovery that all these years he's been sleeping on subpar surfaces. :lol

Kind of like countersurfing, it only takes one time for the dog to learn it's worth his while. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Both ideas make sense to me. Logan was definitely upset about going in the house. Probably didn't help that I initially assumed Max did it (he is the senior after all), but on the walk Logan ran around frantically for 10-15 min trying to go. He has a hard time normally, and of course since he had emptied in the house it was even harder. He finally got a marble-sized dollop out, and that seemed to relieve him. (Max, meanwhile, had a nice large BM pretty much ruling him out). I did spend more time with them this weekend, only left for about an hour-long shopping trip on Saturday, but he may still have been upset Sunday night.

And, I'm sure he did find the bed comfortable -- I like the reference to "subpar surfaces" :-) Actually, his first use of the couch was like that. I have a ratty green couch I was going to get rid of, but figured when I got Logan I would keep it so that if he liked it that would be "his" couch. But he did not use it for three weeks, stayed on the floor the whole time. About three nights before our bulk garbage day when I was planning to get rid of the couch, I saw Logan start scratching at the living room carpet -- clearly unhappy with it for some reason. Then he turned around and looked at the couch. Walked over to it, put his front paws on it and kneaded it a bit, then jumped up, laid down and looked at me as if to say "Okay?" From then on it was his couch.

BTW, I closed the bedroom door before going to work this morning, so unless he bulls it open (which I will know happened) he won't have access to the bed.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Guest AtticusMom

I really believe a couple of my greys have found the couch/our bed, comforting. They would only go up there when they were feeling anxious about something. I agree that a bit of anxiety might have something to do with it.