Considering A Greyhound...active Enough For Us?

Guest Researching

Guest Researching

Hello! We are wondering if a retired racing greyhound is the right pet for our family?

Why we think a greyhound might be a good match:

- I work from home. I go out maybe 2-3 hrs a day for sanity.

- We have a suburban home, and can easily fence our yard ( our neighbor just did it, will ask her for a referral).

- our kids are 1- off to college and 2- age 12 girl

- our house is quiet and organized with set mealtimes and bedtimes etc.

- no other pets

- attracted to greyhounds because I wanted a companion who would be content to quietly hang out while I work(5-6 hrs a day)

- wanted a quiet dog, because houses are very close together in our neighborhood and nobody's dog bArks

- wanted a short haired breed because my husband is Already allergic to cats, and I do not want to trigger any allergies with the dog

- wanted a breed who will not dominate my 12 yo dAughter, who is a quiet gentle girl and would not know how to handle a dominant dog. i am afraid that a dominant kind of dog might start nipping her or bossing her around.

- don't want a chewy, jumping, puddling puppy

- sympathetic to dogs being killed or sold for research after racing, and it would feel good to help

So, Our question-

I am a rambler...I go for after dinner walks of 30 min - 1hr almost daily. My grown kids are often reluctant to go, and my husband , who wants to relax at home after work, is not always in the mood to come out either - so I am looking for a dog who would be up for good long rambles with me (2-3 miles).

On weekends, we like to hike. Usually it's like 1.5 hrs on the trail, but occasionally we go out all day. We would love to have our dog enjoy that, too.

Reading over the forum, I get the impression that greys might not be active/outdoorsy enough? We veg a lot at home, but we also want a dog that can get active with us? Are greyhounds able to be active in the way described above? or is it like, we would drag them out for the walk/hike and then they would sleep the entire rest of day since we have exhausted him/her....?

The second question is, my daughter often has friends come to play, and I know they would want to interact with the dog. I would supervise of course, but is this terrifying to greyhounds? It sounds like they can be easily spooked ( ok, I know many people might be spooked by a bunch of giggling chatting preteen girls, but let's stick to greyhounds!)

Thanks for reading this long post....

Curious to hear your thoughts!

A Greyhound would be happy to take cool evening walks with you. Greyhounds are short distance sprinters (average approx. 30 second races 1 or 2 times per week), so would need to build endurance slowly. Hiking is greatly enjoyed by healthy Greyhounds if it isn't too warm or too cold. They are not good on very steep terrain or climbing boulders. Yes, they would want a nice long nap after 1.5 hours hiking. Truly all day hiking is too much for Greyhounds, in my experience. Greyhounds are temperature sensitive due to thin fur, no undercoat, lack of body fat, and thin skin. They have larger hearts than other breeds and body temperature during intense exercise can rise faster than others.

There is a learning curve for retired racing Greyhounds while becoming a pet/family member. Almost everything is new and different to retiring Greyhounds (TVs, stairs, mirrors, living in a family home, etc.), and can be delightful to experience with them. Many new adopters post to GT about shy or spooked hounds since they are more unique. More confident Greyhounds aren't posted about as often because they easily merge into pet life. That said, a little extra early caring effort between a shy hound and their humans often results in a remarkable lifetime bond.

No dogs should have family humans or visitors hovering over them, especially if lying down. General rule relating to dogs' language: "Let resting dogs lie undisturbed." Better to wait for dog to stand up and approach humans before giving dog attention, especially to a newly adopted dog whose humans haven't had time to earn the dog's full trust. Greyhounds blossom dramatically after adoption. Adopters notice wonderful changes in 3 weeks, 3 months, 3 years, and each year beyond that unfolds surprising positive gifts.

Most Greyhounds are emotionally sensitive, well-mannered beings who deserve the best loving care and respect. (They are not rough and tumble dogs for younger children.) They are indoor companion dogs. Being sighthounds (independent hunters), they can be powerful if they see something 1/2 mile away that they want to chase, and should be kept on leash handled by an adult whenever they aren't in a fenced enclosure. Greyhounds reward us ten-fold+++. Your family seems like a great fit for a Greyhound, unless you want an endurance breed.

I'll close now, as my nearly 15 year old brood matron Greyhound is asking for my attention. :)

Greyhounds have extremely varied personalities! PRH has adopted out many hiking buddies and walking buddies, and even a few jogging buddies! We've also adopted out couch potatoes :lol Just depends on what you want in a companion. Tell the adoption group what you're looking for and they should be able to show you a few compatible houndies who would be up for adventure but also happy to laze about while you're working.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Guest Researching

Thank you for your helpful info and answers!

That's a great thought...I guess after reading breed descriptions, one forgets how different each dog can be.

We found a greyhound Meet and Greet at our local pet store in August,

so will ask the volunteers questions then!

I do admit that I was a bit alarmed to read that some greys sleep 18-20 hrs per day...

I do need my work time, but once I log off my computer I am ready for some interaction with other living beings, and Time to stretch my legs. Heh heh, I will be the human standing there with a leash saying, "please, please can we go for a walk?" :-)

My poodle and terrier sleep/lay with their eyes open 18 - 20 hours a day. I'd say yes to long walks at a moderate pace.

Please note that there is no such thing as a true hypoallergenic dog and short hair does not make a difference. The dogs that cause less allergic reactions are generally those that have hair that has to be trimmed vs. dogs that shed (which greyhounds generally do a couple of times a year - sometimes in copious quantities). Poodles, bichons, etc are dogs that need to be groomed. One of the reasons there at two Portuguese Water first dogs is they were a safer bet than most for allergies. My greys played havoc with my asthma but they were worth it.

I wouldn't say most are easily spooked. It all depends on the dog. Just like humans you have extroverts and introverts.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

A greyhound can easily be a walking partner for 2-3 miles per day. Just remember, though, that the temperature sensitivity is to warm weather as well as to cold. In fact, cold is usually better since they just wear a coat. But especially if you adopt in August, which is the hottest month (unless you are an Aussie?), you will need to work the dog up to 2-3 miles, and some greyhounds may simply not be able to do that much in the hot summer. For instance, it was in the low 90's today in Cleveland and I kept my guys to only 0.75 mile this morning and something less than that in the evening, and even that was pushing it. Keep in mind that most greyhounds do not understand about limiting their walk -- my brindle in particular is stubborn and refuses to turn around, even though he clearly is tiring. So you need to be aware of the dog's condition and not assume the dog will tell you when to stop.

Also, make sure to tell the adoption agency you want an active dog, they can help out a lot there by helping you select the right dog.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Right now, if its not too hot, Dawson would walk with you most of the day. He loves to be with his people. Ziggy prefers to take short walkies, but since he is 13 years old, we understand. :) Dawn, who is an angel now, would walk until she had walked enough and then would put her long grey legs out and would not move. She would not have been a candidate but you would have missed out on a great dog! Even if they cannot go hiking all day, most would go hiking for an hour.

I've had all levels of activity greyhounds.

We've had the homebodies that are content to sleep most of the day away and take only short walks (Yardman and Gus).

We had the hikers (Fuzzy, Doug and Chip) who, after working up the stamina for it, would think nothing of putting out 5-8 miles on a leashed hike

Most of our guys and gals (Penny, Battle,Doug, Fuzzy, Chip, KC)ranged their activity to about a 1-3 mile walk daily and several shorts throughout the day.

Really depends on the dog.

I've had all levels of activity greyhounds.

We've had the homebodies that are content to sleep most of the day away and take only short walks (Yardman and Gus).

We had the hikers (Fuzzy, Doug and Chip) who, after working up the stamina for it, would think nothing of putting out 5-8 miles on a leashed hike

Most of our guys and gals (Penny, Battle,Doug, Fuzzy, Chip, KC)ranged their activity to about a 1-3 mile walk daily and several shorts throughout the day.

Really depends on the dog.

Our morning and evening walks are typically 30-60 minutes and 1.5+ miles isn't an issue. Our girl Bella, now 11, went from racing to being an only hound in Midtown Manhattan, to the suburbs, to us having a baby, now toddler and adding a second grey, so they are definitely adaptable.

Our newer boy, Kirby, who is 4 and has been with us for 2 months, would likely happily be a hiking hound and LOVES to follow his people around the house anytime we move. Every time we move. :D

Others have chimed in with great thoughts.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest johnnydrum

Hello

I am now 4 weeks into my adoption so I thought I would share my experiences.

We adopted Sasha (2 year old) when my daughter had left home (she still visits every other day I must add...lol)

As an active walker myself, I wanted a companion to join me on my strolls (I like to go out morning & early evening) which usually last an hour (we are lucky to have 2 local parks in my area)

She seems perfectly happy to simply lollop along on her leash....and sometimes we will have a gallop together.

Once home, she settles down for a sleep....seemingly quite content.

Heres our schedule, (like i said 4 weeks in so im only still learning myself)

7:30am Morning stroll around Park 1 (about a mile in 30 mins, letting her sniff at all the bushes and shrubs)

She then returns home and has breakfast (an hour after walk) usually cereal

I have to then go to work, but my wife works locally so she returns home at 11am and 2pm for a piddle in the garden (my Dog, not my Wife lol)

While home, my Wife then feeds her at 2:00pm (Dog mix, pilchards and some pasta)

5:30pm I get home, we go to the other park for about an hour, some walking together, and some running together (on leash still)

She really seems to enjoy this session

She will then get home, play a bit (shes only JUST started to play with toys, which is a relief and so rewarding when shes bringing stuff to you to play)

9:00pm.....Walkies again...lol.....and i will give her a good hour long stroll to the other park...this one will set her up for a good nights sleep.

This time together has forged a bond which wasn't there until very recently.

In 4 weeks she has gone from aloof (very) and seeming disinterested in "us", to an affectionate, playful dog (in between snoozes)

She is wonderfull.

Took a few weeks (and some great advice from here) but the rewards from these beautiful, highly intelligent (yet hilariously gormless ) dogs,is so much worth it.

I think your lifestyle and home sounds fine for a greyhound. :) It is great that you are home most of the day, and greyhounds are generally pretty happy to snooze away while you work all day. An hour walk is fine, although depending on the dog, you might have to gradually work up to it. It is pretty obvious when they are tired and start lagging behind so you should easily be able to tell when things are too much.

I have always hiked with my greyhound...while I wouldn't say he is the best dog for hiking, he does fine with 2-3 hour hikes (with stops, swims, etc.). I also jog with mine when the weather is cool. He does 4-6 miles per day in good weather. The very first hike I took him on when he was 3 was about 20 minutes and he was exhausted...so don't be discouraged, you may have to gradually work up the endurance. As the others have said, they really can't do much in the heat, they are extremely sensitive to it.

Your local adoption group should be able to help you in picking the right dog too!

Guest Researching

LOL thank you for clarifying that it is not your wife who pIddles in the garden, but the dog!

(My husband actually did piddle in the garden for awhile...we had voles building a colony there, and we read that urine at the entrances to their burrows could scare them away! They dig small deep holes and we didn't want our girls, toddlers at the time, to twist their ankles. At one point my daughter told her friend, " don't play there. My daddy pees there." Problem got solved when an owl moved in...it spent a lot of time Hoo-hooing on our roof at night...I learned to fall asleep to it. But I am rambling.)

Wow it sounds like they are some active greys here who could not only keep up, but wear me out!

That answers my question, thanks!

So we will go meet a few... Will post to update.

PS

Yea I have googled poodles and "more hypoallergenic breeds"... something about greys personality descripton and looks drew me. Perhaps it's because their personality description reminds me of my kids! When I read about greys I felt that this would be a kind of dog we could understand/get along with, and my daughter would bond with. My husband is allergic to cats, but a friend who has a dog says he is also allergic to cats, but no reaction at all to his Lab. My research was triggered by my client, who has two rescued whippets and adores them...

Phoenix and I used to run 10k together, but we worked up to that gradually, just like a person would.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

It depends on the individual dog I guess, but most dogs enjoy walks/hikes.

This was last August in Jasper. Kili had just turned 3 and Summit was 10.5. We did leisurely 3/4 day hikes - about 10 km at a regular walking pace with lots of rest breaks. We did that 2 days in a row.

IMG_1550_zps9ci3mca9.jpg

IMG_1558_zpsinlv9i2v.jpg

He's now 11 and just suffered a herniated disc in May, so he won't be going on any more long hikes. But he really loved them up until last year. I'd say around 9 we had to start keeping an eye on him, making sure we didn't push him too hard and making sure we took enough breaks, but that's how my BF likes to hike anyway. lol

And then this was in September of last year. Kili and I climbed The Stawamus Chief in BC with a friend. It's the largest Monolith in North America. It took us about 3.5 hours to make the 1.8 km round trip.

IMG_2021_zpsvps4kbk1.jpg

This is some of the "easier" terrain (I was too busy spotting Kili on the hard stuff to be filming):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmWeFZdboP8

I think as long as you don't pick a dog who is truly a couch potato you should be fine.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I think your household would be greyt for a Greyhound, but I'm saying that from my own experience, which is all anyone can do.

My girl is an only and likes it that way. Annie prefers a calm environment, but has no problem when my 10-year-old granddaughter visits and loves her up (my GD, though, isn't a boisterous, loud kid). She loves to walk and would go out again and again, immediately after returning from a walk, if I asked, "Want to go for a walk?" She loves people and hesitates or stops at the driveways of the houses where her friends live, hoping to see them. She loves car rides and jumps in the back of my SUV with no problem.

I live in Upstate New York, and we get hot, humid, hazy days in the summer. Like most Greys, Annie doesn't do well in hot weather so I have to limit our walks to a mile or less twice a day. In not-hot weather, we walk at least 1.5 to 2 miles twice a day, and sometimes toss in a third walk. As said above, Annie prefers cold weather. 30 degrees or less is when she's almost frisky (my girl could never be described as frisky) and walks with a big smile on her face.

Yep, she sleeps a lot but IMO, it's because there's nothing else for her to do. She doesn't play with stuffies. She doesn't roach. She doesn't get on furniture. She doesn't even like to go out in the backyard except to P&P. I've decided that she thinks the backyard is a big toilet, though she only uses the back quarter for P&Ping, and one doesn't lay or play in one's toilet, don't 'cha know. :hehe

If you adopt a Greyhound, you will fall in love and wonder how your household managed to be without one.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest Researching

What gorgeous photos!!

Looks like great hiking!!

Yea, greyhounds seem to be quiet and nondestructive around the house, which is great for a work-at-homer like me. I can gladly pause for a short affection break, or to let dog out, but I could not stand a dog that was always demanding play/attention and would break my focus. Or one that barks at every sound from the street.

Thank you for the heat cautions. I didn't realize!

I like to be comfortable too...these days I walk from 8:15-8:45 or so, sometimes longer, and when I get home the sun has set and it is basically dark. At this time generally husband is chilling with his laptop and kids are doing homework, so dusk became moms walk time. And I have my favorite loop in the woods - 2.2 miles, lined with pine needles, tree canopy overhead...so quiet and beautiful. It will be nice to have a buddy to share it with.

Find a group in your area and ask them a lot of the same questions you posed to us. They're answers and how they treat you will tell you a lot. Be hoenst with them about your lifestyle and how you want your dog to fit into it, especially about activity level and your children.

Of everything you've said, IMO, greyhounds have the hardest time learning to interact with kids. You need to set consistent rules and boundaries on both sides, and monitor them when they are together. Many older greys do seem to to do better, so you might consider a bounce (a dog who's returned to the group through no fault of their own) or an oder dog. They are often more patient and bomb-proof. That's not to say a young dog wouldn't be right either, just a generalization.

A book you should read:

"Family Friendly Dog Training" by Patricia McConnell

https://smile.amazon.com/Family-Friendly-Dog-Training-Program-ebook/dp/1891767119/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1469378977&sr=8-5&keywords=patricia+mcconnell+books

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

When we got our first grey, Dawn, I expected her to not want to be around our almost 7 year old son. I had tried to get him ready for her to not want anything to do with him. She walked up to him and licked his face! He was her person. She would lay beside his bed if it was bad weather. She slept in his room on her doggy bed, but if the weather was bad, she was literally right beside his bed! She was his protector. So, not all greys want to stay away from kids. She didn't want to be around any other kids but he was hers. That made her passing very hard for my DS.

Tell your adoption group what you want from your pup and they will help you get what you want.

Your home and lifestyle sound like they will benefit perfectly with a greyhound. Both my boys love their hikes and walks but they also enjoy just sleeping. I'm thankful in a way, I've got 2 types of dogs in 1 body. Good luck.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Our greyhound Max was rated by our adoption agency as moderately active & he LOVES long walks and hiking with us. Our longest hike has been just over 7 miles. We worked up to it by several 2-5 mile hikes, which I recommend doing so you learn to gauge your individual greyhound's stamina. Most is on trail hiking, but we've done some more difficult off-trail stuff with logs to jump over, etc. I think a greyhound that's moderately active would be great for your family. (BTW if you want more specifics about my experiences hiking with greyhounds, I've blogged about our hikes together & try to recommend types of hikes that will suit greyhounds of different energy levels.)

I hope your daughter will bond with your greyhound, too! It sounds like a perfect fit. I was a quiet girl as well, pretty scared of jumpy, barking dogs, but always wanted a grey. It has been a real dream come true for me to finally have one!

Loving life with my first greyhound Max (4 year old dark brindle boy)! :wub:

Check out our hiking blog! www.greythikes.blogspot.com

First off--in the US, greyhounds are NOT "killed or sold for research" when they're done racing. That might have been true 20 years ago, but it isn't now.

Second--there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog. Ask any allergist, asthma, or lung doctor. And your husband's cat allergy is probably to cat dander, not cat hair. All animals, even hairless ones, produce dander. My father and brother are both horribly allergic to cats, and neither is allergic to dogs. My brother is also allergic to horses, oddly. And we had horses 'cause he didn't ride anyway...but I digress!

Other than some incorrect assumptions, sounds to me as if a greyhound might just love being your dog! You've already learned that an all day hike is NOT a greyhound thing, I'm sure, but they can build up to several miles, although never in the heat (no dog should be dragged out on an all day hike in the heat). And if you have visions of your greyhound rambling about off leash while you hike, put those thoughts out of your head. Yes, there are one or two people on GT who post pictures of their dogs off leash--and that is their right--but you, not being an experienced greyhound owner, should NOT even consider doing that.

I am a single gal, condo dweller. And I love having a greyhound because they are virtually silent, do great snoozing the day away while I work, and enjoy walking with me in the early morning. They don't require the kind of in your face attention that your typical retriever does (throw the ball throw the ball throw the ball!!!!!!), but enjoy resting their head on your lap while you watch TV at night.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Your suggestion to walk at night is a good one. For my brindle, he really hates the sun and will walk longer at night even if the temperature is high. For the black dog, well, black fur is a solar absorber, much safer to walk him at night. And, the dogs seem to like walking at night, there are probably animals out that they notice but I miss. They may also like it if you bring some water with you for them, if you are ok with carrying that weight. I sometimes let them drink from in-ground lawn sprinklers, but would probably be better to have water whose quality is known.

On the hypoallergenic aspect, I can only speak for myself. I have some dog allergies, but find I am much better with greyhounds. However, it also depends on the greyhound. I adopted Logan (the brindle) first, and had no reaction at all to him, he might as well be a hypoallergenic stuffed animal from my allergies standpoint. He has fairly "hard" fur with almost no undercoat. On the other hand, when I adopted Max who has softer fur and more of an undercoat I do get some allergic reaction although it is still much better than with most other dogs. So from my anecdotal experience I would say that yes, greyhounds may be better for an allergic person than other breeds but you need to test it for yourself, and also that you may want to look at more than one greyhound in that regard as they have different types of fur/coats. My guess is that most allergic people would be better off with a greyhound with "harder" fur and minimal undercoat, but that could be individual to me.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Guest xengab

My best suggestion is to be VERY honest with an adoption group about your family and lifestyle. I'd also consider fostering with consider to adopt, that way if THAT dog doesn't suit you, it's no big deal.

Always aim for finding the right dog for you. BUT also listen to the adoption groups suggestions.

My biggest advice is DONT fall for a pretty face, go by personality and behavior.

Look around your area, can you find a good dog trainer who uses positive methods of training? Read up on these methods basic dog training is a great way to bond with a new dog and gives you both set rules on how things can be done.

Kids/tweens SHOULDNT be dressing the dog up or fussing over them, so your daughter learning to play safe games and good dog manners is a must for ANY breed you get. I was a nanny to a family with a 1yo border collie, lovely dog great personality BUT one day when I was not working (adult family friend was looking after them) the dog snapped/growled at the 10yo and her 10 yo friend. Well they were trying to put lipstick on the dogs nose. adult family friend thought it cute. I never let the 10yo do that and she knew it. NOT the dogs fault, he just has no other way to say STOP IT!

I've had my greyhound one year ago today :) No regrets. 4yo big boy. Has he pooped on the floor, twice, once due to sickness and the other due to me not able to get home in time (bad traffic). Peed hrmm 3 times on the floor due to something scary outside. Which over a year isnt much at all, and never really his fault. I walk him 30 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes at night,,, weekends he walks an hour in the morning and 45 at night. He is playful, goofy and cuddles me. He is my dog, very much bonded more with me then my husband.

Very much a dog but breed quirks make some things different. Mine roo's (howls) when I start him going, barked only a few times in a year.

One thing you need to be aware of is, people will stop you and ask you about the dog, breed, if it races, its weight, is it a small dog chaser etc. Yes it's a greyhound will pop out your mouth way more then you'll ever admit..LOL

I think your lifestyle is fine for a greyhound IF you find the right one. Mine would be happy with a two mile ramble around at night. Some wont be but thats when a GOOD adoption group can help you find your greyhound.

Guest Researching

THanks!

I am mentally checking off boxes and feeling more comfortable...

- ok, greyhounds can walk/hike as long as you ask for one that's not the total couch potato - and don't drag them around in heat! That's fine, because we are "dusk/twilight" people in the summer too.

- my daughter would never put lipstick on a dog or disturb it in any way. She is the kind who, if the dog is asleep in the hall, would walk around the whole house to make a detour rather than asking it to get up...I am more afraid of a dog dominating her, than of her doing anything to the dog!

- sorry if I am wrong on the racing. If you google greyhounds, many horrible news stories show up. :-( but if untrue, I am very glad!!!

- fingers crossed on cat vs dog allergies...husband OK with our friends dogs, but never lived with one. I will vacuum daily with HEPA filter if need be ( I am a clean housekeeper).

- A furry head on lap sounds great. I hope it will get everybody off their devices!

- greyhounds are rare around here, and I have never seen one in person! So yep, I am prepared for "what is that weird thin dog" comments...

( Lastly - I have been to some other breed forums...you get a good feeling for dog personalities by seeing what kind of issues show up in the forums...and I realize you are all so nice, while being informative. You will not believe some of the judgmental, nasty comments that people post on forums for other breeds!!! Bashing the owners, the training method, etc, telling them " you should have never gotten a dog" etc etc...disturbing!! If it's "like dog, like owner" - phew, I pick the greyhound people! )

Looking forward to meeting some greys In August at our local pet store. THanks all!

Guest braun

One of the main reasons we recently adopted (this sunday) our boy is because of the support from everyone here AND the organisation that we dealt with. The volunteers were amazing with us and really, really prepared us. I read 3 books on the breed and countless hours of surfing the web and talking to the adoption group. What really got the ball rolling is when we actually met greyhounds and we were astounded by the gentle nature and calmness even with 10-15 dogs all beside each other. Not one barked! They would come "hug" (lean on us) even though we were total strangers.

We are active people and are hoping our grey will eventually keep up with light jogging and hiking like you! In the house he is almost perfect so far, no accidents, no anxiety except for a little crying, no barking.

Having been in your position recently I would say go meet some hounds and maybe you will find them too calm or mahbe, like everyone here, you will fall in love with them!!

Good luck, can't wait to see how your situation develops!