Carpet Runner Recommendations

Guest Baci_Karma

Guest Baci_Karma

Any recommendations on throw rugs/carpet runners for hardwood floors? I don't like the ones I have from Ikea and they've had a few greyhound and cat throw up rounds on them over the years. I'd like ones I can put in the washing machine. My female greyhound won't walk on hardwood floors, so we have a path of rugs for her. Is anyone happy with their rugs?

I'm lazy, so if you have the shopping link that would be even better :)

I just bought 3 at Costco for a very good price, but was recently told that you are not supposed to put rugs with the rubber backing on hardwood floors. Is that correct ? I just recently put in hardwood, so have nothing down on the floors yet. Ruby is not a fan, but it has slowed her running in the house. I have not opened the rugs I bought yet.

Have you heard this too ? If so, how do you keep the rugs in place ?

Karen

Guest Baci_Karma

On an earlier thread someone recommended this carpet tape:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_14?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=intertape+9970+indoor+carpet+tape+1.87-inches+x+36-yards&sprefix=Intertape+9970%2Caps%2C180

I don't know what this tape or rubber backed does to hardwood floors. Our hardwoods are already so scratched up! We have two rugs with rubber backing (washable) and two that don't which aren't washable. We have a grip product under those carpets that you cut to fit under the carpet, it isn't skid proof but holds the carpets in place most of the time.

Target's Threshold brand has some decent rugs. We have this runner in the hall and this accent rug under the food/water bowls and at the back door; they're both latex-backed and machine washable, and no hardwood damage so far. There are some larger Threshold area rugs too, but I'm not sure what they're backed with. We have several 5x8 wool rugs from West Elm and always use a thick felted rug pad under them because the super-thin, grid-textured pads *have* damaged our floors in the past. The felted ones feel so much nicer, keep the rug in place better, and are worth the extra money in my opinion. They do contain rubber/latex but I've used them for years with no issues.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

we bought a bunch at Hobo's for like $7.99 for a 2-3" x 5-6' with a decent backing on it. Cheap and they seem to go through the washer well so far. Not sure if you have Hobo's by you :dunno

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I went to Lowe's and bought runner, cut to length off of the big roll.

Went to an auto upholstery shop and inexpensively had the cut ends bound.

Bought non-skid material from Wal-Mart, and am all set.

I don't think I would want to try to wash runners in my washing machine.

I'd be afraid the machine would beat itself to death.

If you have an Ollie's near you, you can get some there, too.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Guest Baci_Karma

Those Amazon ones look good. I have two that I bought years ago from a suggestion on this site but I couldn't find the old thread. I like them and I can put them in the wash but unfortunately I cut the tags off of them so I don't know where they are from.

i use the neoprene runners on the leather seat of my acura. i also have suggested that a friend purchase them for his floors, yes, they did the trick, low low profile(older people & klutzes don't trip over them) and they wash really well. i even thrown them out on my steps, just fold them over each concrete step when it's icy and they don't move! if you hunt the bungalow neoprene runners can be found in funky designs, but bed bath and beyond does carry them. it's the only rug that my friend who has IGs will use since they wash so well and last forever.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bungalow-flooring-hansen-stripe-23-inch-x-60-inch-microfibre-neoprene-runner/1016877689?skuId=16877689&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_tablelinens_&adpos=1o2&creative=43742636269&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQiA4LCyBRCY0N7Oy-mSgNIBEiQAyg39tv8dm_0HpmGnknC_dtLpnkkb5I2u7GydiGdwide2NkIaAs8w8P8HAQ