Cat Tolerant...or

Guest SohoMercer

Guest SohoMercer

hello

5 or 6 days with my Grey! When I adopted him I asked for a Cat tolerant/safe which they said he was (but you know that mostly means walked on a leash by a cat). I have 2 Russian Blues, not your ordinary cats. They roll over, come on command and even sit.

My question; is it safe to almost put that crate away? At home when out of the crate muzzled he barely even looks at them. Even when they chase each other pass him. I took him to the Dog run where he was the only large dog, I went at night and during the day. The rest were small tiny furry thing running around. He did not chase any, sniffed any or even go after a ball. He sucked at racing so i never seen him sprint around a large field like other greyhounds ive walked. He always jogged lol

All he does is walk around waiting to be pet by other ppl. Even a fast ball does not catch his attention.

Reason why I ask is because cleaning that crate and him everyday multiple times sucks! At least until the diarrhea is gone? there is one cat that sits by him but hisses if he gets too close.

ONE LAST QUESTION. When I was younger I had a german shepard, someone gave me a spray and i used it near a tree, dog smelled it and immediately went. Does this still exist? thanks!

If the only reason you're crating him is because of the cats, then I would say you can definitely try it. Do leave him muzzled though, and make sure the cats have a safe place to go that the dog can't get into.

If he's still having diarrhea make sure you have him in an easily cleanable area, like the kitchen. Otherwise you may come home to a worse mess than a crate.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If the only reason you're crating him is because of the cats, then I would say you can definitely try it. Do leave him muzzled though, and make sure the cats have a safe place to go that the dog can't get into.

If he's still having diarrhea make sure you have him in an easily cleanable area, like the kitchen. Otherwise you may come home to a worse mess than a crate.

Pretty much this ^ You might still want to keep them separated when you are not home for a while longer, but otherwise, I think you are good.

Guest xengab

crates help with more then just kitty safety. There is separation anxiety, you need to train him on how to be alone which can take weeks.

Also a free poopy dog is going to be a mess, not only for the dog but also for the cats. You'll come home to abstract art that stinks..LOL

I'd keep him crated until he isn't pooping in the crate. How often is he taken out? He should be taken out after each meal and before bed. Most are used to being taken out every four hours.

My hubby once came home to a poop explosion and took two hours to clean up, because the dog had played in it!

The kitty hissing is fine, teaching your dog some rules. Mine did the same, personal space was negotiated and things settle down. Butt sniffing is still an issue and my grey gets his nose slapped (no claws out) about once a month due to nose being to nosey..LOL They do learn each others language, just takes time.

Just remember wearing a muzzle is the norm for these dogs so keeping it on isn't seen as anything weird for them.

Guest budsmom

I wouldn't leave everyone loose together yet, even if the dog is muzzled. Can you confine the cats somewhere instead? It's better to be safe than sorry, and you don't know the dog well enough yet to be sure what he will do. Especially if the cats are so confident that they aren't careful around him. My male Maine Coon was (and still is a little) like that. Everyone is loose together in the house, but there are no treats or toys that could be attractive to both left within reach because my cat just isn't smart enough to leave the dog alone with food!