John's Weird Sound Phobia

Hi all:

Johnny has a phobia (I hope that's the right word!) of the sound of lawn equipment, like mowers, leaf blower, weed eaters, etc. He does okay with thunderstorms and faraway fireworks (the popping ones are still a problem), but it's weird that he gets so stressed out about these noises.

So, how did he get scared of these sounds? I'm guessing it might have something to do with the vibrations, too.

I give him Composure calming treats if I can get them in him, and they work, but the landscapers start at 0700 and each surrounding complex has a different day (ours is Thursday), so I guess I'm going to have to start giving him them every night. Is there a better alternative for long term use? Also, I've tried putting the TV or radio on, but he can still hear them over that.

Thanks!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

A white noise machine might work better to disguise the noise. This will probably also get better with time. Whiskey was terrified of sirens when he first came - even ones way off in the distance - but he hardly bats an ear now. Lilly hated the garbage trucks, but now is fine with them.

If you can get a calming treat in him before they start up, it will help. Then you can engage in some counter-conditioning with treats to have him think of the noise as a good thing.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Fears like that usually stem from a lack of socialization during the critical period (3-12 weeks). Specifically if he wasn't exposed to these or similar loud noises during that time he's more likely to be afraid of them when he encounters them later. Also, dogs that have poorer socialization overall tend to be more scared of novel stimuli as adolescents/adults or recover less quickly. There may also be a genetic component.

As far as what to do, if you feel the Composure is helping you can safely double the recommended dose. I would keep him on it, twice a day for the time being. Additional options when you know they will be landscaping - gating him in an area away from the noise with a fan, white noise machine, and/or classical music to drown it out. I would also give him really high value treats or a really yummy stuffed kong for the duration.

If that doesn't help or he starts getting worse, you might want to talk to your vet about Sileo or a similar medication.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks! I'll give him Composure tonight and see how he does tomorrow.

It's funny what a dog will be afraid of--my Lab could work all day next to big trucks, but wouldn't go near a bicycle and hated walkers and wheelchairs. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg