Will Not Eat (Help)

Guest heart

Guest heart

We just had our Greyhounds teeth cleaned and she had to have 5 teeth pulled. We made sure when we fed her that the food was soft. She has always been a good eater. Some how twice when she was eating she yelped because it hurt her. Now we can't get her to eat at all no matter what we try to give her. SHE IS DRINKING VERY LITTLE ALSO! Any body have any suggestions? Thanks for any help!

Removal of 5 teeth would certainly make her mouth tender. Is she on any meds to help with the pain she is experiencing? Perhaps she needs a higher dosage.

If she is being fed kibble, completely soak it with broth or water until it is mush. Broth mixed with very well cooked rice is a good idea too, it will keep her from getting dehydrated as the broth will encourage her to eat.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest heart

The vet has given her pain meds and yesterday gave her a pain shot and an inflammatory shot. We have tried boiled rice with chicken broth and she will not come close to the bowl. We have tried to hand feed her also and still nothing!

Kasey looks just like her!

It's not unusual if her mouth is sensitive. Try some canned food. Normally they can't resist it and it will be soft enough that it won't cause pain.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

During his dental last year just prior to my adopting him, Trevor lost 32 teeth. Talk about a sore mouth. But as suggested above, canned/soft food was his friend for the first week-10 days. He now enjoys wet but not soggy kibble along with any add-ins such as mashed sweet potato, banana, mooshies, whippy cream, ice cream. Well, not whippy cream or ice cream as an add-in :lol But you get the idea. He eats well for a guy with five random toofers plus canines. I would try offering your girl some yogurt or canned food, both at room temp. If she continues to be disinterested in food but especially water for another day or max two I might be inclined to have her post-surgery mouth checked.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Scouts_mom

You don't say how long ago her teeth were pulled. If it was within a day or two, she may be feeling nauseous from the medicine. Frankly, I am more concerned about her not drinking. Was she on an IV? If so, she may just be well-hydrated and not thirsty. If not, she may be dehydrated, which would also effect how queasy her stomach is. To check if she is dehydrated, gently pinch some of her skin on her back or sides. Watch how quickly it relaxes back to normal. If it does it quickly, she is fine. If it is slow, she is dehydrated and take her to the vet.

As suggested above the meds might be making her queasy. If she's not trying anything (I don't know how long this has been) I agree with the above and taking her back for a recheck. Odd stuff does happen, better to get it resolved sooner than later. Gentle scritches to her.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

What are the pain meds? Is she taking an antibiotic? I'd have her rechecked today if at all possible. You might also try some broth in her water, sometimes that will get them to drink, or even just broth if she'll take it.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest heart

She got her teeth pulled last Tuesday a week ago. She finally drank a little water yesterday and ate a little. This morning she ate a little but through it up. We are taking to the Vet and he is going to give her a shot to calm her stomach down.

She got her teeth pulled last Tuesday a week ago. She finally drank a little water yesterday and ate a little. This morning she ate a little but through it up. We are taking to the Vet and he is going to give her a shot to calm her stomach down.

Holy moly! I mean no disrespect but, why did you wait do long? She must be dehydrated as a prune. I hope your vet admits her.

Hello Heart <3,

I want to know how is your girl doing? please update.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps