New Dog In A Very Big City.

Guest SohoMercer

Guest SohoMercer

Thanks Ellen! What a great read, i think everyone who wants or owns one should read it.

Of course i had to go in to the available hounds page what a mistake lol saw a puppy available! I live in NYC but i also have a place i downtown PHX because my 4 yr old son lives on in AZ

Tempeting lol

Guest SohoMercer

How's your new grey doing now?

He goes crazy when i try to take him out :( once out he still pulls behind me like a truck to go back home. once in a very quiet street he does ok and walks besides me. quiet streets barely exist in NYC, i pretty much clean after him everyday at home lol

But when i am home i try to run after him with the wee wee pad so it can land on it otherwise it won't lol

I'm sorry your boy isn't calming down on the noisy streets. I wish I had more experienced advice to give. I'll just repeat that going out with the greyhound group you found might be a good idea for him.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

it sounds like YOU might have to change your schedule a tad while he gets used to the ruckus of manhattan. don't even think of going near broadway or canal street, what street are you on?(i know the area ).

try super early- 5am(or earlier) walkies to get him used to the streets and late late night walks as well. the walks during normal hours should be limited to a quick utility walk. the sound of diesel engines, tons of cars and lots of people are more than enough to set a calm dog off into a tizzy. but all of this can and will change depending upon your stamina. (think of all the couples who survivied new born babies, the small ones often need to be fed every 2 hrs.)

i'm glad to hear that you are using a harness, but beware, my female has slipped out of a no pull harness, everyone loves them until the dog gets out. make sure that you have a link- they sell short clip on leash attachments, that links between the harness and martingale(which i can't find an example of right now, sorry). also, this is a really nice gripper leash http://www.k9noz.com/noz_004.htm i personally hate the 1.5" standard nylon leashes and find that 5/8"biothane, good leather or soft cotton webbing is much more comfortable. my friend who has crazy pulling dogs uses the gripper leash. they are very heavy duty and comfortable.

also, do check the fit of the martingale, here's a quick link- remember 2 inches between the 2 loops http://www.2houndsdesign.com/How-to-properly-fit-a-Martingale-Collar.html

it's hot and horrible out and the weather downtown is always hotter, so your dog will also be more comfortable wight he early morning/late night combo. also once you really get to know the other sight hound people you and your pup will be more comfortable. there's a good sized of sighthounds who meet regularly down at battery city park, that dog run. it's a haul from soho, but possibly an option on weekends. i do know the surface of the run is a non-skid slightly abrasive surface and that a jumper(a greyhound/saluki cross) did get over the wall when spooked. but it's worth while check it out, kiddie pools for wading!!!

soho has definitely gone south as far as i am concerned, way to commercial for me. i hung out there in the late 60s, early 70s, when life was cheap downtown and dave's luncheonette made the best egg creams ever! even pearl paint is gone :ohno

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest SohoMercer

it sounds like YOU might have to change your schedule a tad while he gets used to the ruckus of manhattan. don't even think of going near broadway or canal street, what street are you on?(i know the area ).

try super early- 5am(or earlier) walkies to get him used to the streets and late late night walks as well. the walks during normal hours should be limited to a quick utility walk. the sound of diesel engines, tons of cars and lots of people are more than enough to set a calm dog off into a tizzy. but all of this can and will change depending upon your stamina. (think of all the couples who survivied new born babies, the small ones often need to be fed every 2 hrs.)

i'm glad to hear that you are using a harness, but beware, my female has slipped out of a no pull harness, everyone loves them until the dog gets out. make sure that you have a link- they sell short clip on leash attachments, that links between the harness and martingale(which i can't find an example of right now, sorry). also, this is a really nice gripper leash http://www.k9noz.com/noz_004.htm i personally hate the 1.5" standard nylon leashes and find that 5/8"biothane, good leather or soft cotton webbing is much more comfortable. my friend who has crazy pulling dogs uses the gripper leash. they are very heavy duty and comfortable.

also, do check the fit of the martingale, here's a quick link- remember 2 inches between the 2 loops http://www.2houndsdesign.com/How-to-properly-fit-a-Martingale-Collar.html

it's hot and horrible out and the weather downtown is always hotter, so your dog will also be more comfortable wight he early morning/late night combo. also once you really get to know the other sight hound people you and your pup will be more comfortable. there's a good sized of sighthounds who meet regularly down at battery city park, that dog run. it's a haul from soho, but possibly an option on weekends. i do know the surface of the run is a non-skid slightly abrasive surface and that a jumper(a greyhound/saluki cross) did get over the wall when spooked. but it's worth while check it out, kiddie pools for wading!!!

soho has definitely gone south as far as i am concerned, way to commercial for me. i hung out there in the late 60s, early 70s, when life was cheap downtown and dave's luncheonette made the best egg creams ever! even pearl paint is gone :ohno

hey! We are actually on Mott street. Right under the Little Italy sign and possibly the busiest street in NYC lol

Soho/Chinatown and little italy have def changed a whole lot. (my God Father loved Daves!) So some exciting news, my neighbor/brother in law just got a Red Fawn boy today! they met and my boy went nuts, he loved him. His Grey does much better here wasn't spooked at all. We are going to take them both for a walk now to see how he does :)

Guest SohoMercer

So this is funny, we took both greys to the dog run last night he did great. This morning I took him out, i had to drag him a bit but once outside his tale was wagging and he was just a different dog lol till he decided he wanted to go home but its a huge improvement. The only thing is that he did not do his business but its ok I am proud lol

going out with another grey is wonderful! it will help a lot in his confidence... now you just need to train him to do his business when outside... do not let it become a habit that he does his business in the house...

take him out first thing when you wake up... then feed breakfast and take him out again, for at least a half hour... he should eliminate during the second walkie, if he didn't eliminate on the first one when waking up... he needs to learn this routine...

good luck!

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

is the dog run on houston green(or the block east) still there? it was enormous in the 70s, i used to meet up w/ other salukis there. then they starting chopping it up and making a park.

take him in the direction of his dog run, he will learn the route and the joy of freedom or meeting up w/ his new buddy should help him overcome the chaos. dogs do get used to anything, as long as there is a reward involved....

his reward...running! or buy that dog a pork bun!

Guest SohoMercer

is the dog run on houston green(or the block east) still there? it was enormous in the 70s, i used to meet up w/ other salukis there. then they starting chopping it up and making a park.

take him in the direction of his dog run, he will learn the route and the joy of freedom or meeting up w/ his new buddy should help him overcome the chaos. dogs do get used to anything, as long as there is a reward involved....

his reward...running! or buy that dog a pork bun!

ahhhh! i did just that but the walk back was nothing but tugging and at one point he pulled so hard my shoulder is killing me lol its probably nothing. But geez that was one bad episode

go know, meet your new friend,and be patient. are you walking with a high quality treat and getting him to focus on the treat? i used something like this in training, since i got tired of washing dehydrated liver left in my jeans. https://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Gear-Terylene-Training-Treat/dp/B001TH6Q1K/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1470744814&sr=8-14&keywords=dog+treat+training+pouch

use it first in the house, fill with sliced hot dogs or something very easy to handle up and introduce him to getting a treat while walking in your apt. then outside, give him a treat. if he is really into the treat, then he should be able to direct his attention to the goodie. then bring him upstairs and treat him again. this is your introduction to walking and getting a treat. then go out, treat and start to walk, he will start to associate going out with the treat. no longer give him the treat inside, put the training pouch in your refrigerator when you come in. greyhounds will do anything and everything to get to treats or the bag they were stored in, been there! the fridge is the only safe place, trust me. but this can take time but you are rewarding him for being outside on a walk, he's getting something special and you still have both of your hands free.

Guest SohoMercer

go know, meet your new friend,and be patient. are you walking with a high quality treat and getting him to focus on the treat? i used something like this in training, since i got tired of washing dehydrated liver left in my jeans. https://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Gear-Terylene-Training-Treat/dp/B001TH6Q1K/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1470744814&sr=8-14&keywords=dog+treat+training+pouch

use it first in the house, fill with sliced hot dogs or something very easy to handle up and introduce him to getting a treat while walking in your apt. then outside, give him a treat. if he is really into the treat, then he should be able to direct his attention to the goodie. then bring him upstairs and treat him again. this is your introduction to walking and getting a treat. then go out, treat and start to walk, he will start to associate going out with the treat. no longer give him the treat inside, put the training pouch in your refrigerator when you come in. greyhounds will do anything and everything to get to treats or the bag they were stored in, been there! the fridge is the only safe place, trust me. but this can take time but you are rewarding him for being outside on a walk, he's getting something special and you still have both of your hands free.

thanks, I will try that and different treats. I have tried many of them but he will NOT take a treat outside. His focus is home, his head is low to the ground and he does not care if i call him, click, water, a truck is coming his way, nothing at all. As soon as he gets a hold of facing south is like something takes over his body and he is a complete different dog. if i stop when he pulls you can expect to stand there for 20 minutes and he will pull for that long, he can prob go 30+ minutes pulling. he's ok when outside and heading to do his business but once done its over lol

Guest SohoMercer

Rome wasn't built in a day!

Kosher hot dogs or liverwurst,if your dog tolerates it.

Go north!!

Hey if you're ever in the city let me know maybe you can take him for a walk with me? the kosher hot dogs have not worked yet, I think because he's panting so much he chokes on his own saliva. I really am trying my best with him

Edited by SohoMercer

Guest SohoMercer

The adoption agency mentioned a Halti collar? the ones that go around the mouth? this may work i sort of did my own for 2 seconds and he walked like a dream.

i used a Halti head collar on my german shephard for 12 yrs, because he was overly protective of me and would lunge at anyone within 50 feet of me. he did very well with it his whole life.

I used the Halti head collar on my boy greyhound b/c he hates non-greyhounds, and in the heat of the moment, while thrashing about like a bucking bronco, he would bite me or my girl greyhound. the head collar did not stop him from acting like a lunatic, i think it actually caused a serious neck injury from my misusing it, or being too rough in pulling his head away from the target. I stopped using it, and had him on anti inflammatories and pain killers for about three months for the neck injury. Thankfully, he fully recovered, and we are now using the No Pull Harness. Everyone here swears by it, but i don't see any difference in him, using this harness, vs his old regular harness... the main difference has been in trying to redirect his attention BEFORE he sees another dog and goes bananas...

try the No Pull Harness. it may work for you. But also, you need to stop and turn around when he starts acting up. Get him to calm down, and then go back to walking. He may be too amped up and need to calm down. My grey doesn't take treats outside either. Keep the leash short and next to you. Don't let him get ahead and pull.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Guest SohoMercer

Thanks Claudia

Yes i have. He goes crazy at any time in the morning. Tried 1 am to 5 am on weekdays when it's incredibly quiet out. It scares me how he tries to jump infront of anything moving. Trucks, cars etc it's like he's possessed