Best Treatment For Coat (Uk)

Guest johnnydrum

Guest johnnydrum

Hello all.

Here in the UK, me and Sasha are 3 weeks into the adoption and it couldn't be any more amazing.

I want to get her looking lovely so wonder what products are best in the UK to get her coat nice and help some of the baldy patches.

(I know there`s lots of products available in other countries, that are not available over here)

I have read Coconut Oil ,but my wife s not keen on her being all greasy (the dog, not my wife lol)

Thanks to you all, your the best!

I give Ken a fish oil capsule with his breakfast five mornings a week. On the other two he gets a small tin of sardines (Asda Smartprice ones in tomato sauce) instead. He loves both, and his coat is lovely and glossy - and not greasy at all. The Omega 3 in fish oil is good for joints as well

You can get special salmon oil for dogs but human ones are readily available, and cheaper. I use 'Omega 3 fish oil' capsules from Lidl. I would avoid cod liver oil, which I have read is not so good for dogs, but a fish body oil like the Lidl one should be fine.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

First-congrats on your new adoption!!!! Honestly, there's lots if products and suggestions on how to improve a hounds coat-but, really all she needs is time. With home life, good food and a good moisturizing shampoo her coat will turn around. Many will say fish oil which is a wonderful supplement to give for many reasons but, too much too soon may cause loose stools-if you want to use it start slowly.

Guest johnnydrum

Thank you all so much.

Shes a beauty already but want to get her tip top....especially on the lower regions etc (her "head and shoulders" are looking fab--under parts a little thin--as you can see in her funny sleeping position in image 3)

WP_20160710_001_zps6t7cusfv.jpg

Sasha%20Toy%20B_zpsgu3sbl1w.jpg

WP_20160710_007_zps1kita1i0.jpg

what a lovely girl!!! congrats!

black dogs always show dandruff(even though you didn't mention it). it's one of those things that pops up with excitement or nerves, so don't get crazy. it takes a good 2 months for a new greyhound just off the farm or tack to grow it's new luxurious coat. good food and something as simple as cold pressed salmon oil will do the trick. but it does take time, so be patient. for a black girl her chest is rather well covered right now, so you are lucky. some have completely bald chests. enjoy your new addition, take lots of pictures and most of all have FUN!!

She a beauty! I can only offer the same advice as was already given...give it time, lots of brushing/rubbing down of the coat, good food, and if you like some healthy skin and coat supplements (omega oils, eggs, tinned fish, etc.). My guy had awful fur when I got him, plus his thighs were bare and shiny. It took a good 6 months for everything to grow in.

Your pup's fur actually looks pretty good to me. :) A lot of greys do have very thin fur on their bellies and armpit areas. You may get some growing in, but that area will likely never have thick fur.

Guest johnnydrum

Thank you so much

I feed her Pilchards/Sardines twice a week, and she has a cod liver oil capsule (just like me) with her lunch

She did have some flakyness under her arm pits but no dandruff really...just bits of "kennel"

I cant bath her yet as she has to wait another week due to her being spayed prior to adoption (which appears to have almost healed remarkably)

She is wonderful.

Many greyhounds have bald areas. It's believed to be genetic.

I've had my boy for two years and he hasn't grown fur on his chest or butt at all. Doesn't mean he isn't healthy. His sire is nearly bald!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest johnnydrum

Buck looks like hes having a blast...what a happy dog.

That`s one of the things I love about Greyhounds is that they look so "human" with their many funny expressions.

Hi, I'm in Dorset. Don't be surprised if she starts to lose her coat in a couple of months, as Locket has said. Both Greyhound Chancey and new whippet/greyhound lurcher Nutmeg did that, losing tons of fur and going a bit scurfy too. Their new coats look beautiful once all the old stuff has gone. I always like to run my hands down my dogs so that their coat picks up the oil from my skin and that helps to make it shiny. I have found that Chancey moults out twice during the year compared to once with my whippets. I am waiting to see what Nutmeg does!

Edited by Banjoman

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Guest Sportingfields

In the US track Greyhounds have sand turnout pens. Fur is usually thin or gone on areas of the body that touches the sand when lying down, which they often do after initial run around/potty part. Depends on the dog how much will grow back, once you've gone thru all 4 seasons, you'll know. Everyone has given you good advice that you should seriously consider doing. I know many believe Greyhounds rarely need baths, I'm in the other camp. You will not cause any harm if you bathe every couple of months with a good oatmeal shampoo and give her a bit of spritz with leave in conditioner afterwards. I also do all dog bedding weekly, (give it a sniff after 7 days :lol ) it will help to keep her coat clean in between those baths. As to the dandruff thing, someone once recommended to spritz on listerine mouthwash on a cloth and wipe down the fur. Was supposed to be the magic cure for dandruff, well for me, not so much... Good food, daily brushing and some kind of Omega oils will do much to prevent that.

Edited by Sportingfields

Guest Sportingfields

the listerine thing was me, but according to your reaction it must not be working well due to all of the synthetic garbage that was added. i used it on my black tri salukis when showing.

i agree w/ your bathing routine.

Yeah, I think it's the chemicals too. My folks swore by Blue Halo shampoo before we hit the show ring in the 60's. That was the best shampoo to get both of the Brittanies and Collies coats into top shiny condition for the ring.

Fist off - congratulations! Sasha is lovely, and she looks SO HAPPY!

Her coat will change over the next 6 months. That's normal, especially if she's young. She'll probably blow the entire coat she came with and grow a new one. Brush daily. Feed good food.

Don't worry about "products" at this point.

But - I had a black grey. In MY experience, blacks can get "rusty" colored if their skin/hair gets dry. I noticed in one of your pic's that her belly is Orange/brown-ish. TOTALLY normal for a new dog.

Going forward though, for MY black grey - I found that a fishoil cap per day, a tin of salmon or a bit of JackMack once per week, and a raw egg on the food every couple days did wonders for the coat. All VERY inexpensive.

I had a long-term black foster that had a beautiful coat with that regimen, but his bald belly never did fill in. Some baldies just stay bald. Your pup will fill probably fill in the spots under her arms with time.

Have FUN!