Hookworms...again

Guest JoanneS

But at a lower dose--no???

Depends on how much the dog weighs. If closer to the low end of the range (ie. a 50-60 lb dog getting the 51-100 lb Heartgard), it's pretty close to what you get with the standard 1 cc/10 lbs using Strongid.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest BulletsMomma

Hello! We have adopted a gorgeously sweet greyhound 6 months ago. We have been battling hookworms for quite some time. Being brand new dog owners, we were ignorant to the pernicious nature of hookworms! In the beginning, we weren't too diligent in picking up his poop and now I fear we have infested our yard with the dastardly parasites! There is a lot of advice regarding treating the dogs but does anyone have any advice in how to treat the lawn to make sure we don't keep reinfecting our Bullet? Once I found out he tested positive for hookworms (late March) I have been OCD about picking up after him and then spraying the area with a disinfectant. After coming back from vacation on August 12 (he was boarded for 11 days and treated for hookworms while there) I haven't let him out in the back yard because I want to exterminate the little buggers! Poor guy hasn't been able to run around for a couple of weeks! Also, to make things more frustrating, I just found out today that he is still positive for hookworms!!! :( Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Confused with your vets plan. One dose of strongid/month with a positive fecal result? Makes zero sense. Strongid weekly for 6 weeks perhaps not once a month. Sorry I also think the DE is horse hockey.

Yup, for treating worms. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest bernadette

Although doubts are completely understandable, I recently (within the last month) put my 2 year old grey on food grade DE for hookworms. Two teaspoons in the morning, repeat at night. In one week he tested negative for hooks. I am a believer!

Although doubts are completely understandable, I recently (within the last month) put my 2 year old grey on food grade DE for hookworms. Two teaspoons in the morning, repeat at night. In one week he tested negative for hooks. I am a believer!

There's never such a thing as a negative fecal result. Ova may not have been seen but doesn't mean Momma worms aren't still present.

There's never such a thing as a negative fecal result. Ova may not have been seen but doesn't mean Momma worms aren't still present.

:thumbs-up

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Guest bernadette

I am confused. We are looking for a positive or negative, no?

I am confused. We are looking for a positive or negative, no?

Positive is positive. Negative can often be false negative. Meaning there wasn't anything in the tiny little sample they looked at or it was the wrong life stage so nothing showed up, but worms are still present. I wouldn't be at all confident about a negative fecal a week later.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest bernadette

I completely understand that the little guys may still be hiding, but given what we have dealt with with our boy since bringing him home, I am THRILLED.

• 1 month later...
Guest roberts4224

I initially posted on this thread in mid July b/c I had been battling hookworms since Janey arrived from a track in West Virginia last November and had started adding diatomaceous earth to her dinner in addition to the Heartgard Plus and worming meds. I updated on August 1st that she still tested positive (4+) for hookworms. I continued with Strongid on the 15th of August, September, & October in addition to the Heartgard Plus on the 1st of each month. But I also continued with the diatomaceous earth for 90 straight days and, since day 90, I have just been adding a Tbs. to her food every other day. Took a fecal sample to the vet yesterday, 11/1 and just got the results - NEGATIVE for hookworms! I don't know if the diatomaceous earth made the difference, if the Strongid and the monthly Heartgard finally killed the little buggers, or if it was a combination of everything - and I don't really care! I'm just happy to know she's free of hookworms!! I also wanted to let folks know that Merial honored their Heartgard guarantee and sent a check for $280 to my vet's office, which was applied to my account, to reimburse me for expenses incurred from treating the parasites.

Where are Hook worms usually found in North America? Can you get them up north? The only dog I've had with worms was my Aaerro, and she was infested with them as a puppy about 8 and a half years ago when she was shipped up from Kansas City, Missouri. Other than that I've been lucky. None of the family dogs have had them.

Where can you get food grade DE, other than ordering it off the 'net? The stuff for pools is poisonous to consume, if I remember right.

Beware of dog? Forget the dog - BEWARE OF CAT! No wait. The budgie is a killer, too.

35618219502_5f27c04249_s.jpgAaerro by Vampiric Conure, on Flickr

Rainbow Bridge - Aaerro march 2018

Tractor Supply has fg DE.

Hooks are pretty much all over.

My dogs and cats get DE daily in their dinner.

As stated above, remember that a negative poop sample simply means that there is no indications of worms in THAT SMALL teeny TINY sample. :)