Injured Pads On Paws

Guest KB_Legend

Guest KB_Legend

I recently moved from Georgia to Kentucky with my greyhound Duke. Two days ago he was out in the fenced in yard and the neighbors shot off a bottle rocket (unexpectedly in the middle of the day or I wouldn't have let him out of course) he bolted ran through the gate in the fence (I had no idea he could get through) and booked across the neighborhood at full speed. After a tense search, and some help from neighbors I found him happy as a clam rooting through some brush by a drainage ditch on the opposite side of the neighborhood. Now his pads on his paws have some skin peeling off and are pretty raw from running on the street (I'm assuming), and he will barely put any pressure on the one foot that is the worst. He will only get up to eat and go outside to poop and even the food takes a little coaxing sometimes. Money is really tight right now from the move so I'm trying to avoid a vet visit if at all possible. My question is this, I have been spraying the pads on his paws with an antiseptic I already had from the vet to prevent infection and I've checked for cuts or anything stuck in his paws, Does anyone have any experience with something like this? If I keep his paws clean and he continues to stay off of them will that skin heal and toughen up, or am I being irresponsible by waiting for a few days to see if he shows improvement?

I think he'll just need time and common sense nursing care. Keeping him off his feet as much as possible and keeping them clean (soaking may help soothe) will be the best course of treatment. Of course any discharge noted from his pads may indicate an infection inwith a vet visit will be in order.

If you are able and he is willing, grab a tall yogurt container and fill it with some tepid water and epsom salts. Try to have him stand in it for about 5 minutes a couple times a day. This will do a number of things for you: keep it clean (paws are notorious for obviously picking up bits of dirt, pee, etc.) thereby preventing infection, will soothe it if it is painful, and will speed healing. If you are able to get some colloidal silver, spray that on when it is dry several times a day. It will evaporate like water, but it will again keep bacteria at bay and speed healing. If there are open sores, I would also try to put some polysporin on it and maybe cover it with a baby sock so that he doesn't lick it all off. Keep him off his feet as much as possible.

Glad you got him back, but he should be ok in a few days.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I think he'll just need time and common sense nursing care. Keeping him off his feet as much as possible and keeping them clean (soaking may help soothe) will be the best course of treatment. Of course any discharge noted from his pads may indicate an infection inwith a vet visit will be in order.

This. He should be fine-especially if he is babied a little bit with lots of treats hehe.

Guest KB_Legend

Thanks for the feedback everyone. That makes me feel better that you think it's ok for me to just keep an eye on him. His paws already look much better and he doesn't seem nearly as uncomfortable when he gets up for food and bathroom, he even hopped up in bed with me this morning. I'll continue to have him rest and keep those paws clean and hopefully he'll be good as new by the end of the week. I would say he's enjoying getting spoiled but he gets spoiled every day so he doesn't know the difference :)

In addition to others' suggestions, covering Duke's paws with thick baggies just before potty outings would help. Perhaps a vet clinic could give you empty plastic IV bags laced with a gauze tie at the top to secure around Duke's paws before potty outings. Agree with rest, and periodic soakings since deeply embedded debris or tiny road rocks could eventually cause him pain and require surgery after wounds are healed.

You didn't mention how long Duke was loose or the weather/temperature that day, but we (search/rescuers) watch for signs of rhabdomyolysis in Greyhounds who escape or overexert during warm months, especially when frightening fireworks skyrocket their stress level. If you're not aware of rhabdomyolysis, please see link below and keep an eye open for symptoms. Possible symptoms include muscle pain and swelling that becomes noticeable within 72 hours after excessive exercise/running (especially during warm/hot weather), possible red tint to urine, etc. If severe, stiffness, deep or fast breathing, collapse, and kidney failure could occur. http://pets.thenest.com/rhabdomyolysis-greyhounds-6571.html

Great relief that you were able to find and catch Duke. Extra TLC for your boy during his recovery. :heart

you can soak in epsom's salts one to 3xs a day according to how sore the paws are. we have things like this going on more often than not. air, the salts will dry it up and time will be the easiest mend. and greyhounds do seem to go on workmen's comp far more than any other breed i know. he's lick his paws, but that's ok. as long as there isn't a trail of blood in the house, things are fine. felix has ripped chunks of pad off his paw and skinned all of his stop pads off and that's exactly what i have done. the older they get the longer the workmen's comp benifits!