Osteosarcoma And Hyper Coagulation

I'm interested in learning if anyone else's greyhound has experienced troube with blood clots along with osteosarcoma. The main reason I had Chase put to sleep Friday was not because of the condition of his leg, but because of the large aortic blood clot they found. It ran from where his kidneys are located down to his knee. It was just a matter of time before all blood flow was occluded. The resident oncologist told my vet that Auburn has never seen such an enormous clot as the one they found in Chase.

Could it have been a side effect from a medication he was on? I've never heard of this being associated with osteo before, buy I'm certainly no expert.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Cancers in general can cause thombosis in pets and people.

Edited-I wanted to add that a hyperC state can also be the result of a few other conditions-protein loss-either through the gut or the urine or from liver disease.

We see gh's with apparently idiopathic thrombosis too--for this reason I do have my boy on low dose prophylactic aspirin therapy. There's no downside, it's dirt cheap and well tolerated.

Also wanted to add that I'm sorry Judy. Losing a dog to cancer is hard enough-made even harder by not even be able to be given a chance to fight it.

Edited by tbhounds