Guest MnMDogs

Guest MnMDogs

Just a quick question about hookworms and transmission. My sister's grey was diagnosed for the 2nd or 3rd time a little over a week ago. She's completed 5 doses of panacur and is due for a recheck in 4 weeks.

We were going to take her grey for a week starting tomorrow. But will that put our guys at risk? We have only a very small fenced yard that they can use during the day (in addition to morning and night walks).

Thank you!

Do your dogs take a heart worm preventative that also includes hooks? Then they should be protected. If not, any time the dog poops, pick it up immediately and spray a combo of bleach and water on the area. Leave no residue of poop around. If you have any doubts, after the dog leaves, worm your dogs. So, I guess the answer might be yes.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

If it were me, I wouldn't potty her in my yard, I'd do poop walks.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest MnMDogs

Thanks both. We use heart guard, and I think that's what my sister uses so I assume it doesn't include hooks.

Jen- we have someone come in mid-day to let them out so we couldn't guarantee no poop in the yard.

I don't want to risk it with Greg and Macy :(

Guest MnMDogs

That's what my sister uses too, so it worries me. We're not going to risk it since we can't control where they poop during the day with the sitter.

And our guys eat dinner outside :/

Heartguard Plus has ivermectin and pyrantel and is effective for preventing hooks (everything but tapeworms, I think). Old heartguard just had ivermectin and many of the generic "heartguards" just have ivermectin. If you have wiped out the hooks with fenbendazole (Panacur, 4 in one, and other names), then HG Plus should be enough to keep hooks at bay since it wipes them out before maturity. Pyrantel is also Nemex and Strongid brands, which are sold as treatments for hooks and rounds.

I have never had an issue with hooks, whips or rounds while using HG Plus, unless the dog came with worms in the first place. Many of the rescue groups just use ivermectin alone for the fosters, which I think puts them at risk for hooks, especially when bringing them to meet and greets and using the pet store common potty areas.

I wonder if the dosage used wasn't strong enough to wipe out the full adult population of hooks? I use the fenbendazole powder, dosed by weight, for 3 days, and that is usually enough if the next HG Plus dose is within 3 weeks or less.

Edited by GreytXpctations

That's what my sister uses too, so it worries me. We're not going to risk it since we can't control where they poop during the day with the sitter.

And our guys eat dinner outside :/

The HW preventative isn't sufficient to wipe out an existing infection, which could explain why your sister's dog still had them. However, it will in theory prevent your dogs from becoming infected. Having said that, I would not want my dogs eating off of the grass when I knew I had an infected dog pottying in the yard. But that's just me. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest MnMDogs

Thanks Jen- that's my thought. If they didn't eat out there I think I'd be less concerned. But it definitely worries me.

She's coming to visit Saturday and at least we can make sure she doesn't poop in the yard!