Hookworms

Guest bernadette

Guest bernadette

Hi all,

We took our new boy to the vet today (we have had him for two weeks), he had the visit scheduled for a checkup but yesterday he began throwing up and had diarrhea with blood. He was given an injection for nausea and sent home with meds for once his stomach calmed down. Right now he is unable to even keep down the smallest bit of water- he throws it up. How concerning should this be?

*he was given sub-q fluids this afternoon at the vet, but as of this evening is still throwing up any water ingested.

We have never had to deal with hookworms, how bad IS this...?

Edited by bernadette

So he's been throwing up for 2 days despite receiving an anti-nausea medication? I agree, back to vet. Did they run any tests - blood work or urine? Any chance he are something he shouldn't have and has a blockage?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

So he's been throwing up for 2 days despite receiving an anti-nausea medication? I agree, back to vet. Did they run any tests - blood work or urine? Any chance he are something he shouldn't have and has a blockage?

Yup, ALL of the above posts!! Vet ASAP!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest bernadette

Happy to report that we are now all back to (almost) normal. Our pup is being treated for hookworms as well as a possible kidney issue (which we were specifically told, unfortunately, that he did not have by our adoption agency).

I did not expect to fall in love to quickly after losing our last beautiful boy, but this guy has stolen my heart and I will do all I can for him, and then some.

Do you have blood work and urine results you can post here? A good number of vets aren't really familiar with normal ranges for kidney values with greyhounds, which are higher than other breeds so you may not be dealing with kidney disease at all. Especially if it was just the BUN that was elevated, which can happen from dehydration (which would be expected if your dog had been vomiting for days).

Glad to hear things are resolving though!

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest bernadette

He actually did not race in part because of the kidney issue and was sent out east with concerns for his kidneys. I am working actually with two

vets who are very familiar with greys, so we are lucky that way. It was the creat that was elevated, not the BUN actually, and we are now waiting

for results of the sdma test.

Thank you for all the input!! :)

I didn't connect this post with your other post about the kidney issues until now. I really wish you would share the full results of the tests that were done, if for no other reason than it may help someone else in the future.

Guest bernadette

I absolutely will- I look for input and support in the same way. I will gather the results again and re-post in that thread. :)