Acepromazine (Or Something) To Restrict Activity?

Freaking dogs chased a cat and hopped the little fence into my vegetable garden the other day. Joe tweaked his right front leg, badly. He was getting around on three legs nicely until this morning, but now his left hind leg is going. He wants to be active and do things, and tries to bounce every time he thinks something good may happen. We're keeping him off the couch, I made a ghetto ramp out of a door for the steps off the porch, and he's not going upstairs. Tramadol does not make him blotto. Xanax is good, but I'm wondering if the horrible immobilizing properties of Ace might make it useful right now. Has anyone done anything like this before? It's kind of like giving benedryl to a baby on a plane...

I know that "we" don't like Ace for greyhounds. I tried it on him once and hated it. He's thunder phobic, so I wouldn't give it when a storm is coming. I also don't want him out of his head when we aren't around.

Anyone have ideas?

Ace (and other drugs like it) can sometimes cause the opposite effect - making them hyped up and unable to settle - which you really don't want. You can try it, just don't try it and leave him alone at all until you know how he's going to react. Benedryl also works for dogs the same way as babies on a plane! ;) Trazadone, valium, xanax, just about any anti anxiety drug can have the effect you're looking for. Though it may be better to restrict his physical area with an xpen or crate than rely on drugs.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

He's on 100 mg of Rimadyl once a day and 50 mg of Tramadol every 8 hours. I just gave him some Xanax because of the weather. I skipped tonight's Tramadol; I've never used it with Xanax. Is it ok to combine them?

I could x-pen or crate him, but he'll still bounce every time we get up to pee. :)

I'm a lot more worried about the hind end than the front leg. The front will recover. The back is always "off" and has been since we got him. I really don't want a simple sprain in the front making the back end bad for the next 3 months.

I wouldn't use Ace. I would x-pen or crate him and do lots of food puzzles to tire him out.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Me too. Ex pen (thank you Carronstar) secured by bungee cords and cup hooks have done the trick here to confine to hallway and bathroom.

I wouldn't use Ace. I would x-pen or crate him and do lots of food puzzles to tire him out.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest FordRacingRon

At her old age, Leia gets pretty anxious part of the day. We use a combo of Benadryl and Valium to calm her down. She also gets a 75mg Rimadyl twice a day.

I use Ace on her once and thought I had killed her. I only used 1/2 of the dosage and she went out,,terrified me. Then I read here that they are mentally awake (generally) but physically she was pretty paralyzed. No more of that for her.

At her old age, Leia gets pretty anxious part of the day. We use a combo of Benadryl and Valium to calm her down. She also gets a 75mg Rimadyl twice a day.

I use Ace on her once and thought I had killed her. I only used 1/2 of the dosage and she went out,,terrified me. Then I read here that they are mentally awake (generally) but physically she was pretty paralyzed. No more of that for her.

How does she react to the Valium?

Joe just decided he needed to potty and pranced to the door on four legs. When we came back in, he was using 2 1/2. I think I do have to go the X-pen route, but I still want more knock out pills of some kind or another. The next couple weeks are gonna suck!

Are you leashing him for potty trips? The other thing to consider is that any of those sedating drugs can make a dog stumble or lose their footing, which could have the opposite effect. You would probably be best served using the x-pen and learning him up before you let him out. Yes, it's a total pain, but it should get the job done.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Truman got Valium the last few times he had injuries that required restricted activity. Had to do it. He's too high strung and crazy, and it was not possible to monitor/crate him while we were at work, up to 16 hours a day. Worked just as it was intended- I have no regrets about giving it to him.

Whoot! Joe has decided the front leg works today. I'm still going to restrict him quite a bit, but I don't think he needs to be knocked out with 3 1/2 working legs.

I give credit for his recovery to Irene (Neighsayer). I picked up doggie lift slings from her this morning, which ensured that he will never need help again.

Guest FordRacingRon

How does she react to the Valium?

Joe just decided he needed to potty and pranced to the door on four legs. When we came back in, he was using 2 1/2. I think I do have to go the X-pen route, but I still want more knock out pills of some kind or another. The next couple weeks are gonna suck!

Unlike us, it doesn't knock her out, jsut levels her off. I will admit,,I tired one and it made me go to sleep pretty quickly. She takes two and it just slows her down to a normal pace.

I should add a long time ago we had her tested for CCD because she started getting weird in the evening,,,like a sun-downer effect. $3k worth of test and the conclusion was,,this is how she will be in her old age and the neurologist said we should try a xanax or valium. Since we also tried trazadone (which also works well but only like twice,,then she needs off of it for a week or so) we wanted another drug that would be compatible with trazadone and valium won. Xanax was not compatible.

Whoot! Joe has decided the front leg works today. I'm still going to restrict him quite a bit, but I don't think he needs to be knocked out with 3 1/2 working legs.

I give credit for his recovery to Irene (Neighsayer). I picked up doggie lift slings from her this morning, which ensured that he will never need help again.

Hope the slings are never needed! Thanks for bringing the bread! Sorry that Specky and Reba drank your coffee!

I'm personally a BIG fan of trazodone for things like this. It was SUPER helpful when Clarice was recovering from her vulvoplasty. Kept her chilled out and quiet :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'm personally a BIG fan of trazodone for things like this. It was SUPER helpful when Clarice was recovering from her vulvoplasty. Kept her chilled out and quiet :)

That is EXACTLY what I want. Thanks! I've never used trazodone, so I asked google. It gave me this:

http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC4414248/

The leg is still quite swollen, poor guy. I've been alternating ice and moist heat a couple times a day. Grapehounds is in two weeks, dammit.

This is definitely a better option than Ace if you're going to insist on using something. Fyi, it's not sedating to all dogs.

I wouldn't necessarily say it had a sedating effect for Clarice. However, it kept her from wigging out about her incision and kept her feeling comfortable. She was fully functional. Maybe a LITTLE more restful than HER usual, but, she's an extremely energetic little greyhound :lol

Conversely, it has a sedating effect for Ozzie, which came in handy during fireworks season here.

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Physical confinement?

My Kramer had a major ortho surgery and despite being a very, very active dog was restricted to walking outside on a leash to go to the bathroom and NOTHING else for 12 weeks. He had to live in an x-pen.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck