Kidney Issue

Guest bernadette

Guest bernadette

Hi all!

2 year old male, retired during training for over exertion. Suspected of having early kidney issues, inability to 'muscle up' led to retirement. We have had him now for two weeks and adore this sweet, affectionate boy.

Blood work from adoption kennel almost three weeks ago shows normal creatnine (sp?) levels at 1.7, assured that he was "healthy". Today, the tests from our vet show high at 2.2 (BUN normal).

Thoughts?

Dr Stack's site may offer you some insight: http://www.greythealth.com/blood.html

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest bernadette

They have asked for a urine sample, first of the day. Kidney issues, from what I understand, were originally suspected by owner/trainer. He does drink quite a bit but I have only had him for two weeks and can only compare to my 13 year old that I lost last month.

May be the change of food...slightly dehydrated..... Check the urine specific gravity (USG)-test off of the first morning urine-it should be the most concentrated (after not drinking overnight)-test before breakfast -you only need a few drops o urine and the tech can run the test in about 2 minutes. Hopefully, it will be above 1.030

Odd that they would label this dog with renal disease with a normal bun and slight elevation (2.2 can be normal for a gh) in his creatinine.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest bernadette

Thank you for your response.

From what I gather,the trainer/owner suspected early onset kidney disease, but at some point all came back normal-though they still decided to

"pet him out".

Given this info,I wasn't shocked (but was disappointed)by the kidney values today. I adore this boy already and would be heartbroken if he ended up with

health issues right off the bat.

**Edited to ask...is it unusual that he would go from 1.7 on 6/22 to 2.2 today?**

Edited by bernadette

Not impossible --as I mentioned a food change (higher protein, raw) or dehydration (hotter weather, increased panting) could be responsible. Fwiw-my own dog will fluctuate between 1.9 and 2.2.

Also, make sure it's the same lab that has been testing-different labs will have different reference ranges.

http://www.cdc.gov/leptospirosis/index.html

just wondering where your guy was born or traveled ?

Our chemo boy got signs of this and a lot of runs. Once he went on a 10 day antibiotic, it cleared up

This can effect to kidneys.

East coast has been pretty wet this year a well.

If your grey is from out in the mid west or such, they have some tick issues we do not have much here on the east coast as well.

I get and keep all lab reports on my two. Have a history to compare. I pay for the labs so I always get all copies and results of all tests.

I am just a grey mom, but if I have this stuff, than I can share it with my vet should there be an emergency.

Sounds to me like he got rhabdomyolysis from over exertion at the track. It causes muscle wasting and can cause kidney failure or death depending on severity and how fast the dog receives appropriate treatment. But assuming it's been some time since the incident, I'd expect any damage to be stable. In other words, if his kidneys were damaged they won't continue to get worse. But I could be totally off base about any or all of this. Do you have vet records from when he got sick at the track? A high CK enzyme level would be indicative of rhabdo.

ETA: it would be worth knowing as dogs who have had rhabdo once are supposedly more prone to getting it again. The track folks might also refer to it as tying up. Common symptoms are dark red urine and muscle pain. Maybe you could get in touch with the track folks or the owner to find out if that's what this was.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."