Getting Along With Other Males

Hi y'all:

I've had John since October, he has been mostly good, but has a big issue. He doesn't really get along with other male dogs. I consulted a dog trainer, she says he is telling other dogs to back off when he snap-snarls at them when they run up to him and are really pushy. (I use his muzzle when meeting new dogs). We did some work with treating-while-meeting, and that seemed to help. He does get along with a few very chill males that are calm--we have a small off leash dog park at our complex and he has his "buddies". There is one unneutered Lab ( :angryfire ) who has fought with other males who seems to be universally hated by all the dogs.

So, here's the question: For those that have/had two males together, how do you get them to just get along? Do they work it out eventually, or uneasy truce?

Note: I've had dogs in the past, but John is my first male! THANKS!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

To be clear, you aren't talking about other male GREYHOUNDS?

You're talking about going to a dog park with all sorts of random male dogs.

Those are very different issues.

Most greyhounds get alone with all other greyhounds.

Many greyhounds do not care for other breeds, particularly in a dog park setting because other breeds don't speak proper "dog" and greyhounds do.

I'd avoid the dog park if I were you.

My first hound hated all dogs of all other breeds. My current hound isn't sure what to make of non greyhounds, and also doesn't like push male greyhounds.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I have three male greyhounds and my mom has two uneutered standard poodles - also boys. All get along very well. When introducing a new dog (male or female) I take them on a walk together, no interacting just walking behind the new dog at a small distance. They can sniff where he or she pees, watch the new one and decide that the newcomer is mostly harmless. Than we change. We walk in front and the new one can sniff and watch.

When everyone has calmed down, we walk next to another with again no interaction between the dogs. After the walk (as long as it takes for everyone to walk relaxed with one another) we go to our home and let them into the yard without leash but stay close to watch the interaction.

Keep movin - to keep the tension low. After the walk my boys mostly settle on their dogbeds and we keep the new one from bothering them. And when we see each other again it's like "We know you, you are harmless."

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I think your question is slightly misplaced. There is a big difference between getting along with other stranger dogs, and getting along with other dogs in the same "pack". So when you ask, for those that have/had two males together, how do you get them to just get along? - the answer is they usually get along very well - but they may still have problems with other stranger dogs. So I think your question should be: "For those who have/had a male dog, how does it react to other male dogs on a walk?" (Unless you are really trying to convince yourself it is ok to get another male grey :-)

In my case, Logan and Max get along with each other very well. I had a brief (maybe three second) fight about a week after bringing Max home, and then they had things worked out and have never fought again, although as Max gets older he is being more submissive to Logan. On the other hand, both dogs (and especially Max) will often react to male dogs they meet during walks, especially if the dog is large and/or moves toward my dogs. Those dogs are not part of the "pack", and may therefore be a threat to which they feel they must react.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

You can't really make a dog like other dogs. They either do, or they don't. You can teach them to be tolerant and make reactive displays, but keep in mind that tolerance is not the same as amiability. Just like us, dogs don't always like everyone.

Summit doesn't like intact males, and sometimes doesn't like certain neutered males (generally the big, boisterous ones). I can typically tell just by looking at the other dog whether Summit will like it or not, and I can tell from Summit's body language long before he actually reacts. Which allows me to step in and provide some guidance. For the most part now, he doesn't react to other dogs. I'm sure he's mellowed a bit with age, but mostly it's been positive reinforcement, controlling situations, and getting him moving along. He will never like male huskies with blue eyes. Ever. He HAS learned to tolerate them though. I would aim for tolerance, not for "liking", because it's probably a more reasonable and achievable expectation.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

To be clear, you aren't talking about other male GREYHOUNDS?

You're talking about going to a dog park with all sorts of random male dogs.

Those are very different issues.

Most greyhounds get alone with all other greyhounds.

Many greyhounds do not care for other breeds, particularly in a dog park setting because other breeds don't speak proper "dog" and greyhounds do.

I'd avoid the dog park if I were you.

My first hound hated all dogs of all other breeds. My current hound isn't sure what to make of non greyhounds, and also doesn't like push male greyhounds.

He has met other male greyhounds at the local group's monthly walk--and he snarked at them, so on the muzzle went. He even snarked at the females, but I'm hoping more exposure to them will get him, at the least, indifferent.

I only take him in there if it's empty or there are dogs he knows--this morning he even played with another female! Females he's mostly good with. His "archenemy" we avoid at all costs, that dog has bitten and broke skin on another male.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

I think your question is slightly misplaced. There is a big difference between getting along with other stranger dogs, and getting along with other dogs in the same "pack". So when you ask, for those that have/had two males together, how do you get them to just get along? - the answer is they usually get along very well - but they may still have problems with other stranger dogs. So I think your question should be: "For those who have/had a male dog, how does it react to other male dogs on a walk?" (Unless you are really trying to convince yourself it is ok to get another male grey :-)

In my case, Logan and Max get along with each other very well. I had a brief (maybe three second) fight about a week after bringing Max home, and then they had things worked out and have never fought again, although as Max gets older he is being more submissive to Logan. On the other hand, both dogs (and especially Max) will often react to male dogs they meet during walks, especially if the dog is large and/or moves toward my dogs. Those dogs are not part of the "pack", and may therefore be a threat to which they feel they must react.

It'll be a while before I get another grey--I need a bigger vehicle, for one! ^_^ John likes to meet other dogs, but then sometimes he has to prove that he's THE KING.

I guess I did conflate the issues. Just wanted to get other people's experiences, it's frustrating when out and about and he gets snarky and only greyhound people understand. :unsure

It may not be a specifically "male thing". My female greyhound is the queen of snark with other dogs, no matter what the breed. To my eye she seems to feel the need to let most other dogs know right up front that she's the boss--extracting deference and reverence from others. She doesn't bite or fight but she growls and snarks when meeting new dogs. She has always been fine with my other greyhounds and with my Cavalier as well.

Not tolerating pushy, rowdy, boisterous, demanding dogs seems to me to be an understandable reaction to canine bad manners. Of course, it is still my obligation to keep my dog out of situations where she'll have to deal with bad mannered dogs on her own. Unfortunately, with Mo it doesn't require bad manners to trigger her snarkyness so it's also my responsibility to keep a lid on her and control how she meets leashed dogs. I will say that she is not generally snarky without cause when she is around other dogs unleashed. She visited friends with me and there were about 11 other dogs there of various breeds, everyone off leash and interacting happily. The only snarking Mo did was to snark at a Deerhound who barged into her and the general consensus among witnesses was that the snark had been a deserved set-down for the Deerhound.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I got Max at 10 years old, and he was snarky with other dogs (not Logan) from the day I got him. At his age, I figure its his right, so I don't do anything except try to keep distance. I do point out to him that since he has lost about half his teeth he really shouldn't be getting into it with dogs that are bigger than him, but of course he doesn't understand English. Others will have better suggestions, but I suspect the best thing is to act like it doesn't matter -- if you get excited when he gets excited at another dog it will just create positive feedback for him to do it more.

BTW, I fit two male greys in the back seat of a Ford Fusion, with the seat folded down, so it can be done :-)

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Guest xengab

I've got the dog who when meeting other greys says HI, sniff sniff.. OK PLAY! He's 4 years old and he finds it really hard to find a play buddy. He's just a goofy guy BUT if another dog snarls or barks he is MR good manners and backs off. I also never say anything other then " that dog just needs space" or "you only get asked once". I'd never force my dog on someone else's dog. Or expect them to change their dog. Dog talk was had between mine and theirs, they decided between them NO!

If you boy doesnt want to be around other dogs, other then pack walks I'd not force it. He is clearly telling other dogs to back off. Some are like that.

Also means not all dogs will get the same reaction. You'll just need to be very selective on any other dogs you get. I'd go with a foster situation.