Training Help. To Sit On A Mat.

Guest xengab

Guest xengab

HI!

I've had my boy nearly a year. We've done a very basic training class and just about to start the next level up. Our teacher is good, positive and lets us know why things are done a certain way.

He knows sit, down, on the mat, leave it and look at me. recall training is ongoing and only in low stress situations.

SO, my biggest issue is. My hound still wont jump into the back of our Subaru outback car. This guy CAN jump when running, seen him clear a four foot dirt pile in our yard without breaking stride.

I really need him to do this as, he pulled me over and I've a hurt shoulder from it. (got silly and then spotted something to chase).

It was suggested we try training him with a pause table with a select mat on it (non skid/slip mat). So he learns the command and we can raise the height of the table until we get to nearly the hieght of the car. Then put just the mat in the back of the wagon, and he'll (so they say) will jump in.

BUT at $100 per private class, we cannot afford it.

I've seen how to make a pause table online, we have the supplies to do it.

Can anyone tell me how one trains to use one? I figured I'd start with the mat on the ground, train him to sit on that. But what word should I use to get him onto the mat? IN, JUMP? (UP means stand/relax)

This is just a matter of incremental training as suggested. You don't necessarily need a trainer to help you with this as they've already described the process. Any time you train a complex behaviour (and what is "complex" depends on the dog).

You name the behaviour whatever you want to name the end behaviour - "truck", "car", "in", "jump", "mushroom". The dog doesn't know what the word means. We pick things that actually make sense in context, but that's for OUR benefit. You could just as easily use "bacon" to mean sit... makes no difference to the dog. So just pick something that works for you, and doesn't sound like any of your other cues.

You start with a mat on the ground and train him to go to it. Then you put it up a few inches (find an aerobics step or something). Then a few more inches (on a tupperware box or something). Then a chair. Then the car.

Here's some examples of incremental training I've done with Kili for complex behaviours:

http://apexagilitygreyhounds.blogspot.ca/2014/12/vault.html

http://apexagilitygreyhounds.blogspot.ca/2016/02/dog-catch.html

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest xengab

my trainer wasn't impressed that I used "hey you" as the word for Look :) Works for me and he does it.

Thankyou. I'd love my boy to learn agility so figure if I can train him in this, anything is possible.

We also have to use voice and hand signals so will make sure I'm consistent with those too.

I used to have to lift Rocket's back end into the car. Then I bought some dried liver treats. I let him smell the treat, threw it in the back seat, and he has gotten in by himself ever since.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest xengab

We've tried every trick suggested. treats, another dog, a higher gutter so less to jump up.. His high value treat is chicken and bacon. Didn't work. He did enjoy watching the lovely girl grey jump into the car over and over again..LOL Even had a more experienced dog person try it (in case it was me causing it) He wont.

So I figured this will either work or he'll have a neat trick learned.

Chancey will jump up into the back of my car when we are going out but I have to put her paws on the back cill and lift her in when it is time to go home! :rolleyes:

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Have you tried a different door, assuming that's an option? Some dogs won't jump in the back but will go in via the back door (versus the hatch) no problem.

If my dog would not go in, I would put his front paws up, then lift his butt in. If my dog did not LIKE that, I think he would figure out pretty fast it was simpler to just comply with my request to jump in!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Literaqueen

Fly will only jump in the right back door. She shook terribly the first few times I got her near the car, but now she associates it with adventures and jumps right in. Plus sometimes we drive for ice cream. . . Did a lot of lifting her in until she associated the car with fun.

Guest xengab

Yes, I tried the side doors and even the front passenger side door. We do lift him in, but Im not allowed to lift more then 5lbs for the next two months. My husband goes away for work, I need a way for him to get in the car so both of use wont need a vet trip..