Brooke (Glo's Destroyer) Sept 5, 2009 - June 21, 2016

greytpups

I still can’t believe I’m writing this. Brooke died unexpectantly on Tuesday, June 21st.

It’s taken me awhile to write because it’s been such a shock and extremely painful. Brooke was my grief counsellor when Bailey and Ben died and I can’t imagine life without her. In 2009, I saw this picture on GT and I felt a connection to the red greyhound in the pic. I pm’d her foster dad and found out a bit about her, not knowing that Bailey had cancer at the time. We said good bye to Bailey in December and then I got a call about a farm closing in PA. So we went on a road trip and visited kennels, farms, vet offices, and finally Brooke’s foster home. I wrote a story about adopting Brooke in Celebrating Greyhounds. DH fell in love with lots of the pups we visited, but I wanted to drive to Philly because I wanted to see Brooke. There was a ball game on so we got stuck in traffic in Philly and then we got lost, but I persisted and we kept going. When we met I saw that she was timid, but I have a soft spot for the shy ones, and even though I was grieving, I knew as soon as I saw her that she was the one.

The ride home..she was so sweet

13558797_10206155162788560_1247370614468

Brooke turned out to be the happiest, healthiest, smartest, cutest, well-behaved , loving greyhound and we always had a strong bond from day 1. She would meet me at the door, come say hello and then run and play with her toys. She followed me around the house just to be in the same room. When you saw us on walks or at events, Brooke was always on the end of the leash I was holding. She also slept in our walk-in closet (10’ x 11’) which was more like her own private room. Many mornings I would lie down beside her and stroke her and tell her how much I loved my beautiful girl. If she wanted more petting, she’d put her paw on me and many times she would make me smile when she didn’t want me to stop. When she was on her pillow in the living room, I would lie down beside her and she would flop over and lay on me. My feel-good hormones were working overtime when she laid her head on me and gaze lovingly into my eyes.

Grapehounds...I always was the one holding her leash.

13603398_10206155163108568_6084850928944

I woke up early that Tuesday morning and lied down with her while I petted her for about 15 minutes not knowing this would be the last time. When I come home now, the toys are still in the toy box, when I do laundry, no one follows me upstairs, when I get dressed in the morning, no little face is peeking up at me wanting to be pet and no paws reach out for more petting.

Losing Ben in November and now Brooke leaves me with many feelings, so many I can’t even begin to describe them. I keep asking “Why Brooke?” She was really fit, she got ample opportunity to run (which she loved loved loved), probiotics, joint supplements, dentals, etc.

13557869_10206155162708558_1910952553859

“Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger’ is bs. I am broken beyond repair.

Brooke, loving you has been the greatest joy of my life. Rest well sweet baby girl. You will always hold a special place in my broken heart.

13584766_10206155162748559_6693219268537

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss. Sending hugs and strength you way.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Jan,

I am so sorry for the loss of your gorgeous girl so soon after losing Ben. They were both so loved and I always loved following their travels and adventures with you.

Run free, Brooke. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I am so very sorry. I, too, unexpectedly suddenly lost my silly, shy boy this year and still am not able to post a proper tribute. I feel your pain. Many hugs.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I as so very sorry for your loss of Brooke.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Jan, I am stunned to see Brooke's name here. Brooke was a beautiful, gentle girl. She had such a wonderful life with you and Dave. I wish that there was something we could do to ease your pain. Sending you a hug across the miles. :grouphug

22044485856_3a0ef3be1a_z_d.jpg

Dewey Beach 2015

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I am so very sorry. While none of us would wish suffering on a pup, the sudden, unexpected loss is in some ways harder. Many hugs.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

I'm so sorry. What an awful, untimely shock for you and your family.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, Jan. I am so sorry to read of Brooke's passing.

When does the hurting stop? I can't answer; I don't think ever. It gets better, but, it doesn't go away.

I am glad that we got to see her just a few weeks ago. Take care, my friend.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

{{{ Jan, Dave, and Katiebug }}}

:brokenheart

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

SO sad to see this post! :( Run free Brooke....

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest goofydog

Jan, like so many others, seeing Brooke's name in this thread made my heart miss a beat. She was such a beautiful, gentle girl and I know your hearts are shattered. Sending gentle hugs across the miles for you and Dave. I'll find Brooke's star in the sky tonight.

So very sorry for the sudden loss of your pretty girl.

Remember the good times....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

No No No! This can't have happened. She was too young. Too vital. Too special.

I am incredibly shocked and so inexpressibly sorry. I can't even imagine your pain.

Godspeed Brooke.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)