Sileo: Update On Its Affects

As I posted in a previous thread (http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/318155-sileo-worked-for-annie/), Sileo worked well for Annie the first night I tried it, July 2. I didn't have enough to do the whole weekend, so I didn't give her any on July 3, wanting to save the final dose for July 4.

Long story short, it worked only OK on July 4; not as well as it did on July 2.

The fireworks were closer to my house than on the 2nd, and they started at 5:30 so she hadn't had a dose yet. I don't know if the fireworks being closer to my house -- 2 doors away -- or her getting upset before the first dose of Sileo had anything to do with her reaction, but an hour after administering the Sileo, Annie was still anxious, though not as anxious as if I had done nothing.

It was a bad evening for noise and Annie continued to show some anxiety, even after a second dose of Sileo, but not as much as without the drug. I think the close proximity of the noise made it much worse for her and that nothing would have done the trick to make her calm.

Generally speaking, anxiety meds need to be given prior to anxiety beginning. They tend to be less effective once the dog is already upset. I haven't heard much yet for feedback on Sileo, but what you experienced sounds typical of most anxiety drugs. You may have had a better effect if she'd had the dose about an hour before hearing the first firework. Not always possible with people setting them off whenever they please. :(

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!