Splashing Water Into Food

Guest curi0us

Guest curi0us

A couple of months ago, our greyhound (Queso, 8) started splashing water from his water bowl into his food bowl, even though we put water in his kibble. I'm not concerned about getting water on the floor or anything, but I don't want him to hurt himself, and I'm wondering if he is doing that because there is something about his food he doesn't like. He does need some teeth work done, but I'm not sure if this is connected. He also only does this every now and then and not for every meal - he probably does it a couple of times a week. He is otherwise healthy, and he does have an appetite.

Has anyone else's grey done something similar?

Guest curi0us

What is he using to make the transfer?

his snoot!

I think we need a video! LOL My guess is that he's doing this on purpose to make you worry needlessly... But if he needs dental work being an extra messy drinker may be a part of that?

haha, next time he does it I'll get a video

his snoot!

I ask becsuse you very well could have had a chef on your hands! ;)

I think the water into food bowl isn't a cause for concern. Ry does this off and on (usually to an empty bowl tho) to get every last lick. He makes like he's done eating and then goes to drink and 2 sips he back to the food bowl with a bunch of wet muzzle. Yours might be making a game out of it!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest curi0us

Here's a video (I apologize for holding the phone vertically!). After this he moved his bowl to the left once more, and then ate the rest of his breakfast. Hopefully you are right XTRAWLD and he's just playing around :)

Wow, well after seeing that vid (super super helpful), I'm not sure it's water that's the problem. I think it's the location of the dish. I think I may have saw him try to grab the food dish on the edge? Have you tried feeding him somewhere else, or perhaps without the raised feeder to see what he does? He does seem to sniff the kibble quite a bit. What if you add some broth to the kibble?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Silly pup! To me it almost looks like he is trying to bury the food. My dogs do that exact same head movement when they get bones or something special. They use their nose to cover up treats in blankets (or dirt!). It must be an instinctual thing. :P

Silly pup! To me it almost looks like he is trying to bury the food. My dogs do that exact same head movement when they get bones or something special. They use their nose to cover up treats in blankets (or dirt!). It must be an instinctual thing. :P

lucky you don't have a feeder/storage bin. my female used to flip the top off and bing on the kibble stored inside.

how about separating the water and food. two different plant stands in different areas?

looks like he wants his food floating in more water than you provide. he knows where he wants that feeder. :D

perhaps a towel on the floor to catch splashes? he'd probably give you the stink-eye if you move the bowls apart, and try to puch the water close again.

do experiment, videos needed of all trials of course.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Just my 2 cents--that's a LOT of food.

Could be you are over feeding him and he wants to save some for later? And he is trying to "bury" it?

I dunno. Cute video, but that's way more food than my dog gets.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

He's trying to bury it.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest k9soul

Rudy dips his snout in his water dish and then moves over to the food dish and dribbles the water from his snout into there, but his food dish is empty by that time and he then simply licks the water, which I presume is more food-flavored now, out of the bowl. I can't tell the depth of the bowl and how much food is there (or if he has eaten any yet) but his behavior is most commonly associated with burying for later. So I would wonder if he's especially hungry at the time and yet reluctant to leave that dish of food sitting there where someone else might get it.

An interesting experiment would be to drape some newspaper over the water dish side and see if he tries to move that over the food. If so then he definitely seems interested in "burying" it.

Guest curi0us

Just my 2 cents--that's a LOT of food.

Could be you are over feeding him and he wants to save some for later? And he is trying to "bury" it?

I dunno. Cute video, but that's way more food than my dog gets.

He hasn't gained any weight between vet trips and is at a healthy weight, and if he doesn't want it he will just leave it alone, so I'm not sure that's it. He gets 4 cups per day, which I think is pretty normal?

He's trying to bury it.

Seems to be the general consensus. Glad it's nothing that I have to worry about :)

An interesting experiment would be to drape some newspaper over the water dish side and see if he tries to move that over the food. If so then he definitely seems interested in "burying" it.

Will have to try that!

This definitely calls for a scientific approach to problem solving. Try one new thing at a time: decrease amount of kibble (maybe going to three smaller meals), increase amount of water, cover water with newspaper, etc.

Record results of each manipulation, document, and publish a paper.

No? :blush

O.K., just sort out the results for yourself.

But..... while I'm thinking of it, do you think that maybe naming your hound after food might have created some issues?

Just me then, huh?

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Guest curi0us

I think I'd try making his kibble a lot wetter in case he's actually trying to soften it because he's having trouble eating it hard with his teeth problem. Presume you are sorting out a dental for him anyway.

^ my initial thoughts too... and yes working on getting his dental stuff done soon. definitely don't want him to be in pain.

This definitely calls for a scientific approach to problem solving. Try one new thing at a time: decrease amount of kibble (maybe going to three smaller meals), increase amount of water, cover water with newspaper, etc.

Record results of each manipulation, document, and publish a paper.

O.K., just sort out the results for yourself.

But..... while I'm thinking of it, do you think that maybe naming your hound after food might have created some issues?

Just me then, huh?

haha, it's hard to do consistent experiments since he doesn't do it all the time. overall i'm not too worried but it's something to keep an eye on.

and luckily we don't feed him actual queso ;) i can't imagine that ending well!