Frequent Marking?

Guest RockRoos

Guest RockRoos

Hi everyone! I've had my grey for about a year and a half, and I love him to bits. I have noticed a particular behavior that while not harmful, makes me wonder about the behavior.

My dog is house trained and also has access to the doggy door. We don't really have any problems with him peeing indoors, not since his initial training, and very rarely, on days when there are fireworks going off. This isn't a problem for me.

However, when I take him out on leash, or I take him to the (greys only) dogpark, he makes frequent stops to urinate. Since he doesn't behave this way in the house I've viewed it more of a quirk than a concern, or possibly a manifestation of anxiety. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks!

He's marking. No big deal. Boys and girls do it. They sniff another dog's pee, walk a few inches or a foot, or maybe not, and pee a little bit. My girl would do it a lot also on our walks if I didn't put a limit on how many times I let her stop.

Remember: the last one to pee wins!

Edited by Feisty49

Many of us on GreyTalk call that "leaving p-mail."

All dogs do this. They smell another dog's urine (the "message") and they "reply" by peeing on top of it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My boy Spirit is so eager to get in the last "word" that he's been known to pee on his housemate MoMo in his eagerness to pee on her pee.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest RockRoos

It's comforting to know that it's relatively normal. Sometimes he'll even go and lift his leg even when there's nothing left in the tank! It seems like it's less a serious problem and more a personality quirk.

He's marking. No big deal. Boys and girls do it. They sniff another dog's pee, walk a few inches or a foot, or maybe not, and pee a little bit. My girl would do it a lot also on our walks if I didn't put a limit on how many times I let her stop.

Remember: the last one to pee wins!