Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jordan33

Martingale Collars

Guest Jordan33

I'm wondering what brand of martingale collars people use? What are you happy with? What lasts the longest?

Regular collars are usually nylon and can last seemingly forever. The martingale Adrien has had for two months is already showing a small bit of wear and tear, and while I like the collar because it functions well, seems comfortable, and looks nice, I don't want to have to buy a new one every few months. I need to be a bit on the frugal side, though I certainly don't mind spending a lot initially if something will last a long time.

I've seen the leather and chain ones, which do look nice. Has anyone tried them? How are they?

And thanks for all of your thoughts and feedback. It's all greatly appreciated!

I have collars from different makers and have been happy with them all. Wear and tear has been relatively minimal, but each dog has about a dozen collars so no one collar gets used on a daily basis.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Our dogs do not wear martingale collars in the house. Martingales are for walks only. This cuts down on the wear and tear on the collars. Martingales also pose a choking hazard. Martingale collars can get caught on knobs, on a dog's paw when scratching, etc. When our dogs are home alone, they only wear thin leather bolo breakaway tag collars from LongDog Leather. Here you can see the bolo tag collar worn with the martingale.

25796291096_a82e499a08_z_d.jpg

Our favorite fabric collars are from Classic Hound. They are very well-made and built to last. We also have several beautiful (and strong) collars from 2Hounds Design. As Kristie mentioned, each of our hounds has several collars, so wear and tear is very minimal on any one collar. As far as fabric goes, cotton canvas collars tend to hold up best in my experience. They're not always easy to find, though.

Happy shopping. :)

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Hopper the terrier mix and Kaia the wolfhound-schnauzer mix
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, and Holly Oaks Holly our perfect hounds gone too soon
Walls turned sideways are bridges. -Angela Davis

For utility, it's hard to beat the basic Premier brand martingale collars. Many adoption groups sell them, and you can find them online easily.

We received one from the group when we adopted Rocket as well as a leash. Almost 8 years later and although it's starting to show it's age and multiple daily uses, when I throw it in the washer it looks like new but slightly faded. It shows no sign of wear that makes it unusable.

For fancier martingale collars with designs, it's hard to beat NancyB collars for price and quality.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Always missing my boy Hi Noon Rocket. The home of Petunia, MW Neptunia and Kate, Miss Kate.

Our martingale collars last for years and years but our boys only wear them on walks, too. At home the don't wear any collars. Before I joined this community I never knew dogs who wear collars at home - only new dogs in house training.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Andy (Riot Officer), Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice) and bridge angel Colin (Dessies Hero).

Guest Jordan33

Our dogs do not wear martingale collars in the house. Martingales are for walks only. This cuts down on the wear and tear on the collars. Martingales also pose a choking hazard. Martingale collars can get caught on knobs, on a dog's paw when scratching, etc. When our dogs are home alone, they only wear thin leather bolo breakaway tag collars from LongDog Leather. Here you can see the bolo tag collar worn with the martingale.25796291096_a82e499a08_z_d.jpg

Our favorite fabric collars are from Classic Hound. They are very well-made and built to last. We also have several beautiful (and strong) collars from 2Hounds Design. As Kristie mentioned, each of our hounds has several collars, so wear and tear is very minimal on any one collar. As far as fabric goes, cotton canvas collars tend to hold up best in my experience. They're not always easy to find, though.

Happy shopping. :)

Actually, this tag collar might be even better! Right now she's got a regular nylon collar for tags, which the martingale rubs up against. This wouldn't rub and it would be more comfortable! Thanks for suggesting this.

And yes, here oo, martingales are for walks only.

Guest Jordan33

I had two dogs growing up and they both wore collars 24/7. I can't imagine not having a collar on a dog with tags. You just never know what's going to happen.

I had two dogs growing up and they both wore collars 24/7. I can't imagine not having a collar on a dog with tags. You just never know what's going to happen.

:nod

You never know when you might need to grab onto a dog quickly!

And for that reason I don't like the 'breakaway' tag collars. I have tried a couple of different ones, but they break open very easily if the dog pulls away quickly.

We just use a thin nylon collar for tags...loose enough that it will come off over their head if it got caught on something.

NSK-Winter.jpg.a6ea578c2e544932c5222b81cda3216d.jpg

Nancy...Mom to Nigel (Nigel) , Sid (Peteles Tiger) and Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos)Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie) and especially Ruby (Watch Me Dash) waiting at the Bridge.

On rare occasions, a dog can get caught up on something in the house wearing a collar, but in my mind, the risk of not having the collar on is 1000 times worse, so my dog is never naked. He now has a tag collar, but George wore his martingale 24/7 for 7 years, and Buck mostly wears his all the time too. My home is not full of stuff that a dog could get caught on. I know accidents can happen so I get the thought of "no martingale in the house," so if that worries you, invest in tag collar.

I also have an entire drawer full of martingales, so I can't really help with what lasts longest....to me they are fun and pretty and I don't have any kids to spoil, so I indulge in pretty collars.

The leather fishtail type collars last forever. They're the kind of collar sighthounds wear in Europe. You can Google them.

I expect the leather and chain type last too, but I don't like the look of them at all. That's just my person opinion.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Martingales - Premier is my standard for long term every day collars. Lupine also makes martingales and guarantees them even if chewed. Premier is the softer of the two, but both wear well. For my first grey I replaced his Premier once a year, and my second grey only every 2-3 years. For fancy collars I have NancyB, Majestic, and a few from Aid4Greys and Collar Town. My dogs are only naked after a bath. ;) Good luck on your collar search :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest Jordan33

:nod

You never know when you might need to grab onto a dog quickly!

And for that reason I don't like the 'breakaway' tag collars. I have tried a couple of different ones, but they break open very easily if the dog pulls away quickly.

We just use a thin nylon collar for tags...loose enough that it will come off over their head if it got caught on something.

Very true! And I've been thinking about that even as I look at the bolo collars. I like them, but not sure if breakaway is good.

Thanks for all of your thoughts guys! Keep them coming. I'm very interested to know what everyone uses, even if it's having a drawerful of collars!

We recommend a tag collar for every day wear, something in velvet or grosgrain (or we also make a reflective grosgrain tag collar) works beautifully and holds up well. Then you can just slip the fancy collar on when you are heading out and they last forever. I still have original collars that I made for the "original 2 hounds" that are silk brocade that are in great shape (made over 13 years ago).

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest DarkHorse

We've got Nancy B martingales and tag collars from 2 hounds. For Dexter (who we've had 8 years), we've had to replace his tag collar once. His martingale has lasted forever, and although it's a little more shaggy now, it's still perfectly functional. And we use the same one everyday - for the first 4 years we had him, he was walked 3-4 times a day and now it's once a day.

Shortly after we got it:

Picture209.jpg

And just a couple of weekends ago (you can see Cole and KB wearing their newer ones in the background):

13413009_418937724943410_709330928793124

I buy all Annie's collars from Crowncollars.com I've got enough so that I can switch them out often, to suit my mood, so they don't wear out. As others above, Annie doesn't wear it around the house. It's used only when we walk or go somewhere in the car.

For the tag collar, we have a velvet one from Mimi Green on Etsy, which I love because the info is engraved on the buckle itself, so no jangling. For martingales we like the selection and quality of Wetherby and Collar Town, both Greytalk members. We also have a 2Hounds (linked upthread) Freedom No-Pull harness, which has worked great since Sweep can be somewhat leash reactive with non-greyhounds.

49001591033_2aaeeba8f4_o.jpg

Rachel with Sweep and kitties Olive and Momo.
Always missing my boys Mud and
Henry

Guest k9soul

I have bought martingales from multiple sellers and can't say I've had any that I was displeased with. Some of my favorite dressy/fancy collars have been from Crown Collars. I also have collars from 2 Hounds, and several Etsy sellers (I particularly like some of The Hound Haberdashery's designs).

Lupine collars are what I own the most of. Classic leather fishtail collars are second,silk lined MacKenzie belt collar is my extravagant purhase. Cotton lined martingales rub off too much neck hair on my dogs.

Thin cotton covers on our martingale collars have worn faster, but none have ever worn out. (We can rotate between many martingale collars, but often use harnesses.) GreyTalk's merchandise section lists many excellent collar sources (some mentioned above).

I.D. Collars:

I recommend these thin (5/8"), flat, reflective, embroidered I.D. collars to wear 24/7 (only exception: no collar if locked inside a crate).

tn_gallery_18414_3447_22988.jpg tn_gallery_18414_3447_68972.jpg (Click image to enlarge.)

Phone number was covered on photo for public posting, but # can be viewed from afar if a loose dog won't let a human approach.

Cell phone numbers are recommended for ID collars. (If dog is lost, most owners keep their cell phone with them while out searching.)

Upon ordering ID collars (side-latch), we ask for the "tag ring" to be cut off/removed (to eliminate possibility of ring catching on anything).

Black thread is most visible on these reflective collars, IMO.

Source link: http://www.fancyk9s.com/collar/identification

(Tags can be placed on the martingale walking collar's side hardware -- not the big D-ring -- due to choking hazard, plus it's too easy to attach leash to a weak tag ring by mistake.)

I very strongly caution against any use of chain on Greyhounds' necks for many reasons. Most importantly, their necks/throats are more fragile with thin skin, lack of thick double-coated fur, and lack of fat.

Even with soft martingale collars, Greyhounds' necks should be treated gently to prevent damage to the delicate throat/neck. (Avoid jerking/yanking on a dog's collar.)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Most of us pick them to accessorize the dog and they are the kind of thing you can easily post a link to someone when it is birthday time or whatever.

I usually get them direct from Silver Peacock here in the UK http://www.silverpeacock.co.uk/

Peggy never has hers on when she's left home alone and so wears a 'KeepSafe' breakaway that has too little D rings that can be pulled together to clip in the lead when a dog minder looks in.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keepsafe-breakaway-collar-Medium-REd/dp/B0002H3ZU8

Guest aceyouknow

Love all the recommendations! I cannot deal with the sound of tags jingling, I know it's pretty helpful but it drives me insane. So to combat that I have an engraved buckle collar thats worn separate from the solid martingale collar that came from the rescue group. I really only have one set that we use which is a big surprise, but I'm pretty indecisive and currently have eleventybillion different options on a pinterest board. Any suggestions for brass or gold options since Cyrus is such a pretty shiny black and I think it makes him look very regal :beatheart

I love collars from Greyhounds of Distinction. Well made and fair prices.

2cojt6t.jpg7)

I have all rescue info,eveyone's cell # on a boomerang collar tag. No,noise, just need to use either a 1"or 3/4" collar

Guest goofydog

This thread inspired me so much I just ordered 2 collars for Morrie from Houndstown Collars! Chris thanks y'all very much! (no emojis on pad)