Heart Murmur

Guest SonjaAndStella

Guest SonjaAndStella

Hi, everyone. I took my boy Remy in to donate blood today, and a cardiologist found a grade 3/6 heart murmur that his regular vet somehow missed. I am going in for an echo tomorrow morning, but I'm pretty upset and worried. The vet said it could be a valve issue, dilated cardiomyopathy, or it could be benign. Has anyone else that has dealt with this have advice to calm my nerves? I've only just had my boy 6 months and the idea of him being sick is a lot to handle. Thanks.

it is very possibly nothing, too. I have had some of my greyhounds with that diagnosis. I might not be able to explain this in "medical" terms. Greyhounds have very thick blood and sometimes it sounds like a murmur passing through the valves. Don't panic, yet.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

It is always good to check a murmur out, but they can often be benign in greyhounds. Kili has had a grade 3 murmur since she was a puppy. I check her echoed every couple of years, but it hasn't caused any concerns so far (she's coming up 4 years old in August) and she's obviously a very active dog. Fingers crossed it's nothing.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Best to have it checked but, gh's often have murmurs-it can be explained as they have big athletic hearts with "normal" dog valves. All that blood volume is pumped through those "normal" values-as the blood is pumped through the values it makes a wooshing sound-=the murmur.

Keep us posted after your appointment. Try not to worry ;-)

If the vet who checked him isn't familiar with greyhounds, he may well have misinterpreted what he was hearing. Greyhounds have a heart that is larger than a normal dog.

I also had one vet tell me my mixed breed dog had a heart murmur, and another vet who rechecked a few days later literally laughed at that assessment. He said, "Dr XXX has probably never met a dog in such good physical condition because what I hear is the heart of an athlete, and no sign whatsoever of a murmur." No other vet in 15 years hear a murmur either.

Don't freak out!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SonjaAndStella

He's okay for now! His left atrium doesn't contract down as hard as other dogs in systole, and his blood is flowing too hard through the aortic valve which could mean a blockage somewhere, but it's not bad enough now to tell. He said Both those are normal for athletic dogs though! The only other thing is he has mitral valve regurgitation but the doc said its not bad enough yet to worry, so to just keep listening to him regularly and bring him in for an echo if it changes. Thanks for your encouragement!