Supplements To Prevent Urine Burns On Grass.

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

We just moved from AZ to PA, so this is the first time the dogs have peed on grass. The problem is, they're killing it! I've read you should water down your grass after they pee to prevent this, but that's really not practical. :)

I've seen supplements you can give to prevent this, but is it safe for greys? Or, are there any natural supplements or food I can give to combat this?

Thanks!

I've never heard of any supplements that truly worked. Years ago I tried the home remedy of tomato juice (in the dog, not on the grass), but couldn't see any difference. This article from a master gardener program bears this out: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/gardennotes/553.html

I never watered the grass (or weeds, in my former yard's case), but two things that seemed to help were 1) walking my dogs and letting them pee a lot on the walks so they didn't pee as much in our yard; and 2) moving to a house with a much bigger yard so the dogs had more places to pee. You might not find these options practical, either. :)

I should add that I don't let my dogs pee on other people's yards, either. Only in median strips or other public places.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

With greyhounds, after a while you won't have any grass to worry about. :bgeorge

Seriously though, I think it might be better to try and do some training to get them to go in one general area all the time and restrict the yellowing to just that area. The use of a traffic cone or two to give them a target or area to mark might help. Many of the turnout areas on the farms and tracks use traffic cones as a pee target. You can pick them up at any home center or hardware store. Taller is better when it comes to making a target.

We had one in Rocket's turnout area at the previous house, and we brought it with us to AZ. As soon as we put it in the far end of the yard, that's where he goes about 99% of the time.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I just water following a pee if it's in my yard. I understand that isn't feasible for most, but I just watch where he goes in the yard and grab the hose and put water on the area for a good minute. If I didn't saturate the area enough though, my attempt was futile. Water is the best defense IMO. I like the target cone as a suggestion though!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Drs. Foster and Smith sell something that supposedly takes care of urine burn and restores grass (Spot Gone Repair & Recover). The thing is, it has to be applied immediately after urination and then soaked with water.

I've given up. It's my back yard and I don't care about yellow spots. They remind me of crop circles and I consider them Annie's artwork. :rolleyes:

Someone iknow swears by baking soda and hosing it down. I do know that really hosing the spots really helps dilute the ureaic acid. We just rototilled the yard last fall. I now let the dogs out in the front yard,very little grass and I use pine shavings instead of much. I'll deal with the front yard eventually. Just hose,plant,add top soil,fertilize and repeat.:-) :-)

I tried the Australian lava rocks or whatever they are called and it seemed to make a little difference with my whippet and Japanese Chin.

Chancey greyhound does the most enormous wees so the small brown patches left by Aida changed to vast areas of bald earth. I started using something available in UK called GreenPeez

http://www.caninenaturalcures.co.uk/greenpees.html?gclid=CKv_mc_6tc0CFewW0wodKqMP7A

which I put in her food but wasn't convinced that it worked, because we've had such a wet winter I thought any urine was being watered down by the rain. I didn't buy another bottle until recently when I realised that the lawn was getting smaller and the number of patches getting bigger now that both Chancey & Nutmeg are weeing out there. I think perhaps the Green Peez did work so they are both having the drops on their food again and I will watch for any improvement. As Nutmeg races around the garden like an idiot I don't think the 'lawn' will really improve for quite a while but hopefully what grass there is out there will stay green!

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

My father used to give his dogs "Green 'Em," but I refused to let him give them to my dogs because there is no list of ingredients on the bottle.

We have always had a fenced in back yard--front yard was pristine, back yard was for the dogs. Spots be damned!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I have no grass. Between the drought and the dog,,,,I have dirt.

:nod

I put down straw over the dirt. Keeps the mud from getting tracked into the house and the dogs find it comfy to lay on.

We have always had a fenced in back yard--front yard was pristine, back yard was for the dogs. Spots be damned!

:nod :nod :nod Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Scouts_mom

I also gave up on having grass in the back yard. I use mulch, but can't even keep it leveled. Race tracts need elevated curves it seems.

? over the last 25 years here in the UK none of my dogs wee has burnt the grass in either of the two locations i live(d) in... in fact, i have circles of taller greener grass where they went. must be the soil composition. it's slightly acidic.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

? over the last 25 years here in the UK none of my dogs wee has burnt the grass in either of the two locations i live(d) in... in fact, i have circles of taller greener grass where they went. must be the soil composition. it's slightly acidic.

You guys across the pond have gorgeous gardens,fantastic weather for one's completion and skin. Now I'm even more envious, low acid urine!! I'm sure it weather,type of grass and what's not fed to the dogs. My dry skin would be over in the black nk of an eye if I could.

Grass? What's grass?

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest gzgreytfun

Yes we have mostly dirt now too. A few resistant patches of green here and there! lol! We put stones with rubber mats leading to the deck to keep the dirt level down.

Edited by gzgreytfun

I don't have a fenced yard, so Allie is always on a leash. I carry a liter bottle of water (keep a few by the back door) and dump it on the pee spot. No burns. And those spots grow faster and a darker green than the rest of the yard.

AMF All for One "Allie" (1/15/2010 - 3/25/22)

Color Print "Davis" (1/29/2009 - 2/24/19)

Craigie Skynyrd "Zipper"