Argh! Hookworms!

Guest kerber

Guest kerber

It has been a while since I've been here, but my Blue has been dealing with hookworms for the majority of the four years we have had her. Vet now wants to try Advantage Multi- anyone have success with that topical as a means to rid a dog of hookworm? If she goes off Frontline to do Advantage Multi, what can I use for ticks?

Thanks!

Edited by kerber

I believe the topical treatments are more of a preventative against fleas and ticks than therapy for an existing case of hookworm. After a diagnosis of hookworm, our vet gave our grey two doses (oral chewable pill) of Drontal Plus ( a combination of praziqualntel 136mg/pyrantel pamoate 136mg/febantel 680.4 mg). She gave two doses three weeks apart and then a fecal analysis 4 weeks after the last dose.

Edited by Potomacpupsmom

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Guest Sportingfields

So sorry you are dealing with this. Have you treated your yard? If not, talk to your vet about what product to use and how often as most likely he is getting re-infested in his yard. I know of someone that used this product but they didn't have Greyhounds, so I don't know if this is safe for them or not. The site says it's safe for outdoor cats, so should be okay for greys. Better ask someone that knows more than I :)

http://blog.wondercide.com/hookworms/

What have you done so far to treat?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest kerber

For about two years it was a cycle of Nemex and Pancur with monthly heartgard. Then she tested negative. Last week tested positive again. Yard is clean, northern winters kill off, etc.

my foster Marie came from track with a broken hock, and hooks. She was on the every 14 day panacur treatment. but i was getting frustrated because she was shedding an angel hair 3/4 in segment. All the reading i was doing i found these weren;t hooks or tapes. Well i read about using Food Grade Diatomatious Earth in her food. I was giving her about 1 1/2 tsp per meal and she started having more of these segments in her poo. from looking at parasite specialty sites, these are a variety of tapes. She finally got treated with Praziquantal. And her fecal has been clear.

i would suggest you read and decide for your self, but it helped my foster sweety.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps