Rear Leg Wheelchair For Greyhounds

Guest greyhoundgirl1

Guest greyhoundgirl1

Has anyone ever used a rear leg wheelchair with their greyhound? My 12-year-old is experiencing extreme rear leg weakness. She has no feeling in her rear foot so walking has become extremely difficult. She has a fusion of some of the vertebrae in her spine. She has been through a myriad of holistic treatments such as acupuncture, cold laser therapy and chiropractic adjustment. All of which has served her well for more than a yr! She is also now on traditional pain management including gabapentin tramadol and Previcox. I have a rear assist harness and just purchased a full harness from Gods Greyts. She still eats very well wants to go for walks and is not incontinent. Therefore I am hopeful that maybe she would be a good candidate for a wheelchair but don't know if anybody has had an experience with one and how to go about finding the right one. Any help from this knowledgeable group would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Guest Greytfriends

I would also like to inquire about a rear leg wheelchair for my 8 year old tripawd who is just a few days shy of her 11 month Ampuversary and doing quite well. After suffering a pathologic spiral fracture of her femur Labor Day weekend of 2015 her leg was amputated and a diagnosis of osteosarcoma was confirmed. She completed six rounds of carboplatin in January and her chest films have continued to be free of metastasis. Although she gets around fine with 3 legs, she tires easily and I am worried about the long term effects on her spine, joints, and her remaining leg. And we both miss our "long" walks! She is a "funny" girl and is often resistant to trying new things so I would be interested in suggestions or hearing of other's experiences. On a slightly different note, I have yet to find a stroller large enough and stable enough for my "tall" girl who needs room to maneuver before settling in.