Is It Time?

Guest greycrew

Guest greycrew

I know you guys get this question a lot so sorry for that, but my Rapunzel is 14.5 years old. I’m wondering if it’s time. Her heart and health are fine, but her body is not and she is on pain meds for arthritis. She eats like a horse – loves to eat and seems happy and content, but the problem is she is very thin and cannot get up or lay down without help. We have 1 step that goes into the kitchen which she can do, but sometimes has a hard time with that. She didn’t do steps to second floor in over a year. I carry her up and down to bed (she sleeps with me). Once I get her up she’s OK – a little wobbly, but sometimes jogs across the patio and even does a little spin (she used to spin A LOT). I also have to hold her up for her to eat her whole meal because her hind end will sink into a sitting position if left on her own too long. Vet says it is just old age and if we are willing to take care of her she is fine. I have no problem – I will carry her around for the rest of my life if I have to, but the reality is I have to work and my boyfriend (retired) takes care of her during the day. I feel bad that I can’t be with her all the time and I feel bad that he has to take care of her. Friends from my greyhound group say “you will know when it’s time”, but I do not. She has her routine each day and seems completely content. She barks when she wants to get up in the morning. After I feed her and go to work she barks when she wants my boyfriend to get her up or if she has to go out to potty. When I get home from work I feed her then she goes to the garage door and I put her in my car and take her for a ride, usually to McDonalds where she barks from the moment I pay until she gets her cheeseburger or on any errand I may have to run. Then we go home and she sleeps in the living room until around 9 pm when she goes outside then heads for the stairs for me to carry her to bed. We go away each weekend camping and she loves it. She loves car rides and has her routine at the campground as well. She can't go for walks so I let her wander around our yard there and when she is ready she goes back to the RV door. I was thinking of getting a wagon to take her around the campground, but finally my question is, does anyone else do this for their elderly dog and for how long? And how do you know? I feel so bad that her body is giving out, but I don’t see it in her eyes if she is ready.

From what you describe, your girl sounds like she is still happy and enjoying a fulfilling life that you are so lovingly providing for her! As long as she gets enjoyment out of each day and her pain level is managed I see no reason to let her go yet. When she stops enjoying the things you are doing with her, or appears to be in pain much of the time or falls ill, then that would be the time to let her go. And, if caring for her ever became just too much for you to manage, I think it would be O.K. to let her go. Thankyou for doing so much to ensure she is happy and content.BTW, I am also from NEPA so hi neighbor!

Congrats on having a 14.5 yr old! Its sounds to me she's not ready to go, if she is still taking pleasure in the ordinary things of her life.

Agree, as long as her pain is controlled, ( and there are still more pain control options available to you).

From what you describe, your girl sounds like she is still happy and enjoying a fulfilling life that you are so lovingly providing for her! As long as she gets enjoyment out of each day and her pain level is managed I see no reason to let her go yet. When she stops enjoying the things you are doing with her, or appears to be in pain much of the time or falls ill, then that would be the time to let her go. And, if caring for her ever became just too much for you to manage, I think it would be O.K. to let her go. Thankyou for doing so much to ensure she is happy and content.BTW, I am also from NEPA so hi neighbor!

THIS. Can't say it any better. Give your precious old lady a little hug for me. :beatheart

Guest Sportingfields

You know her best, you will know, I promise you. Doesn't sound like it is time although unfortunately, it is on the horizon. I'm a huge believer in quality of life. If the pain is controlled, if she is happy in spirit and doesn't mind you helping her, ie doesn't cry or snap at you, when you help her, and you have a support system to help you, then I"d personally not rush to make a decision.

Guest greycrew

Thanks everyone! I feel so much better now! Just wanted to point out Sporingfields point about her minding if I help her. She actually likes it - she is a sweetheart and always was. I have her since she was 1 year old. She's my princess and is certainly treated like one! :)

I never post on these kind of threads because I can't remember the last time I didn't think it was probably time a day or a week ago. However, Rapunzel is not going to the bathroom in the house and barks when she has to go out, has two people that don't mind helping her get outside and back in. She is enjoying her car rides and her appetite is good and your vet says she is in good health except for the legs.

So I say get a wagon and enjoy a little more time with her.

Dick

What everyone else said (so much better than i could) ... and remember that your darling girl gives you her unconditional trust along with the love that you've shared with us in your post. So when you make your final decision, please know that it will absolutely be the right decision, and that SHE knows it.

Sounds premature to let her go so long as you are ok will tending to her needs. Your health-physical and emotional is important too.

May I ask if she taking any medications? She may not act owie but, I would guess some pain meds may help her mobility.

Guest FordRacingRon

My girl is 13,,sound like yours although the rear ending sinking only happens once or so a week. But most everything else is the same. No,,,,not time yet.

I think we try to relate this to human terms and if you do I think that even makes it easier actually. If you grandma needs a walker or one of those stair machines to get up the stairs, but still eats , and enjoys her life, enjoys her friends,, you wouldn't send her to the Soylent Green factory quite yet. Remember the old deal about list the 3 things your dog loves the most and when those 3 things stop it could be close. Sounds like none of those things have happened yet.

My vet actually said he thought for a 13 year old my dog was pretty agile,,I would say yours was too for a 14+ year old.

As you can see above, I've made the call for Benny. He's just 11. The difference? Pain medication isn't helping. He has serious muscle wastage and his rear can't support him. He is disoriented and doesn't like me being out of sight. He is panting a lot. And he's told me he's ready. We can't tell, really, but while Ben is still eating, he's stopped enjoying the sniffs on our little walks, and only wants to go inside again. He isn't trying to run or spin. He doesn't greet the other dogs he isn't enjoying life, or I'd move heaven and earth.

Your girls doesn't seem ready yet, but I think you'll know.

Guest greycrew

Thanks everyone. So someone asked if she is on meds - yes, she takes Previcox in the morning and evening. Last year she had 2 separate rounds of Adequan which helped, but I wouldn't do that anymore. She does sometimes have accidents in the house, not pee, but sometimes when she has to poop it wakes her up and sometimes she can't make it outside on time. Like this morning when I carried her downstairs (she woke me up at 4:40 am to go out) and right at the bottom of the stairs she went while I was still carrying her. Honestly that doesn't really bother me. She is old, lol.

But, people around me are telling me they feel sorry for her and how can I let her live like this. They are making me feel guilty. She can't get up by herself and she is very thin because of muscle loss, but like I said she eats great. Along with blue buffalo dog food she gets pot roast, chicken or turkey with gravy and also eats a few plain cheeseburgers each day (great for pill delivery since she hates to take meds). And ice cream a couple times a week. I see some of the things that Benny is going through though as well. Sometimes she is disoriented, stands in one spot for a long time until she decides where she wants to go next. Oh well, getting a wagon for her this weekend and I will just take it one day at a time. I can't express how much your replies mean to me. Love this group. :beatheart

Kudos to you, and your boyfriend, for being there for her and helping her enjoy her golden years! Don't let others, who do not know your dog at all, impose their thoughts and feelings about your dog onto you. It sounds like you are doing great by her and she is still enjoying life - so enjoy her as much as possible - and know that when it finally is her time, you'll have no regrets. :thumbs-up

Edited by Sundrop

my 12 yr old German Shep could not get up anymore, after two yrs of worsening symptoms and increasing meds.... the difference in our situations is that i work full time and did not have anyone to help during the day... nor could I lift him @ 100 lbs... but you can lift her, you BF can lift her, and she is enjoying life still.... so treasure these moments together... you'll know when it's time... give her burgers, ice cream, and whatever else she wants... spoil her until she doesn't enjoy life anymore... Previcox twice daily seems like nothing... we have pups on multiple meds, dealing with multiple issues... She sounds very healthy to me... can we see a pic of the lovely girl?

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Guest greycrew

I will post pictures when I get home tonight. Rapunzel had a wonderful weekend at the lake. We were able to stay outside most of time because the weather was perfect - nice and cool in the shade where I had the dogs beds and our chairs. But, she had a terrible evening last night. It was much warmer when we got home and that seems to make her extra tired and wobbly. She fell a couple of times even with me right behind her following her when she went out to pee. That really got to me last night and I can't help but feeling I'm keeping her here for me. I know she is happy and has her good days and bad, but I'm so afraid she's going to get hurt if I'm not around. This is torture...

Fear of my boy falling down in some crazy spread eagle type position and not being able to get back up while I wasnt home definitely factored into my decision as to when to let him go. If I ever came home to that I would never be able to deal with the guilt of him laying there in pain all day. It is such a terrible dilemma when they reach this point in their life. My heart hurts for you, I have been there too. Know that any decisions you make are made out of love and you do the best you can to make the best one for your girl.

Going through this now with Lou who is 14.5. Hind leg weakness, kidney disease and some dental problems. Tonight was not a good night as he was panting and just could not get comfortable. I have him a Tramadol but not sure if the panting was from the Tramadol. I am able to tend to his needs as I am retired. He does whine, cry, bark when he needs to go out. He needs help to get up, he wobbles when he gets up but can go to bathroom but sometimes falls into a sitting position when relieving himself. I know he doesn't like that!! I have to travel for 4 days starting Thurs. and he will be with a very competent grey sitter. I feel terrible that I can't be with him and depending how today goes, for his sake, sending him to the bridge. I don't want him to be miserable while I am away. I gave him a Adequan shot at 1 am. and hopefully this can get him through the next couple of days. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I love my boy ad want to do what is best for him.