Full Mouth Extraction Diet

Guest astritle

Guest astritle

Hi everyone,

Marco came to us two years ago with advanced periodontal disease and had most of his teeth removed his first year with us. The vet warned that he would eventually need to have them all out (we're down to 12) and we've now arrived at that time. My poor baby! His appointment is the 30th. With the 12 he has, he eats normal small-ish kibble soaked in water to soften it with some yogurt on top with no issues.

I was wondering what we should feed after surgery? Especially the first days to weeks during recovery as I know he'll be sore, but after he's healed, what do most people do?

Thanks for your help!

The first few days, soft foods, canned food, scrambled eggs, mushy kibble, pretty much anything he doesn't have to chew. Once his mouth is healed, you can go back to feeding him his usual diet. I had a cat with no teeth that ate dry (no water added) kibble just fine :lol I did later wean him off that for other reasons, but lack of teeth didn't slow him down much.

:goodluck hoping your poor boy's dental is uneventful

Percy, at age 11.5, came to us with 8 teeth. He had 6 removed with us. Never missed a meal. His kibble gets water on it, doesn't sit until it gets mushy because he will hoover it right up.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Most greyhounds don't chew their food, they just lap it up and swallow! Unless yours is one of the minority chewers, you should be fine feeding him whatever he is used to. If he balks at it, you can always whir the kibble in a blender or Ninja to make kibble dust and feed that with water/broth instead.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ditto all of the above. I adopted 11 y o Trevor last year right after he'd had a dental and had lost 30 teeth. He has his four canines and five random teeth and has no trouble with moistened kibble. He enjoys Goldfish and mini Milkbones broken in half as treats.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Yup, all of the above.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Sportingfields

Hi everyone,

Marco came to us two years ago with advanced periodontal disease and had most of his teeth removed his first year with us. The vet warned that he would eventually need to have them all out (we're down to 12) and we've now arrived at that time. My poor baby! His appointment is the 30th. With the 12 he has, he eats normal small-ish kibble soaked in water to soften it with some yogurt on top with no issues.

I was wondering what we should feed after surgery? Especially the first days to weeks during recovery as I know he'll be sore, but after he's healed, what do most people do?

Thanks for your help!

Curious what your vet has suggested to keep the periodontal disease in check? A couple of decades ago it was recommended to me that my grey get antibiotic the first 3 days of each month. My vet at the time said the infection was permanently in the gums, even if all the teeth were pulled, the infection would still be there. Dr. said for some reason some dogs, not breed specific have a sweet saliva and that was the root of the issue. Not having had that bad of an issue in a long time, I don't know what further research shown on cause and maintenance treatments. Hopefully someone can enlighten you?

Edited by Sportingfields

Guest OPointyDog

I'm in the same boat, so I appreciate the timely question. My guy has CUPS (Chronic Ulcerative Paradental Stomatitis) and we've been taking out all his teeth in stages. Tomorrow he gets the last of them out. He's 8 years old, and this will be his fourth and hopefully last dental surgery.

We soak his kibble overnight in the refrigerator. I've found if you really want it mushy, use hot water to soak it, and the kibble really will turn into mush. Cold water leaves the kibble intact, but it is soft. I'm not sure he's ever chewed anything - he just swallows things whole. For treats, we use Blue Dog Bakery Softies - they're sort of like fig newtons for dogs. I break them in half and he loves them.

He does make a HUGE mess when he drinks - you may want to invest in a neater feeder if you don't have one.

Good luck!

Ozzie lost 7 teeth during his last dental. I just took his kibble and crushed it up in the blender. Then added some water to it. Voila! :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--