Grey Not Adjusting As Well As I Hoped

Guest SonjaAndStella

Guest SonjaAndStella

Hi, everyone! Thank you in advance for your help-I know I can always go to y'all!

So, I got my first grey Stella last July, and she's doing so well. She listens to me well, is well adjusted to our schedule, etc. I adopted her brother Remy in December. Because of all that was going on in my life in December, I had less time to devote to the same kinds of bonding exercises I did with Stella (from Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies), but I still have continually worked on training with him. He only comes when he feels like it (and never comes if we're outside), he even will run around and tease me. I feel a lot more connected with Stella even though I have tried so hard to communicate well with Remy. For that, I think more and more training will help. That's not the main issue though.

When I first got him, he refused to poop on leash and would go inside all the time. He got over that after a few weeks, but now he's doing it again. I walk them for 20 minutes in the morning (I work early and just can't get out of bed to walk them for an hour in the morning), and it's a 50/50 chance that he'll go poop outside. If I stay home, he won't go inside. But if I leave even for 15 minutes, he'll poop inside. He has never chewed anything up though. I can't crate them- they both injure themselves trying to get out and will poop and pee on themselves. I'm currently working on associating the crate with positive things. When I'm gone, he does collect my shoes and dirty clothes on his bed.

I've heard a lot about alone training. I've tried leaving jazz music on, spraying Adaptil, holding his food until lunchtime, etc. I guess I'm wondering if alone training is what is required here, even though his only symptom I can tell is pottying? How do I get him to just go outside?! Thank you in advance. I'm starting to feel really frustrated and find myself getting on to him about it, and I don't want to cause more harm than good because he can tell I'm upset about it.

Edited by SonjaAndStella

Short answer? - Yes. Do the alone training.

Longer answer: Yes. Because this doesn't seem to be a potty training issue to me. He *can* hold it - he does so while you're there - but he doesn't when you're gone. The collecting, while very cute and not necessarily an indicator of separation anxiety, does seem to me like he feels stress when he is separated from you. This isn't the typical presentation for separation anxiety that we think of - he's not alone - he has another dog there - so his separation anxiety is focused on an individual - you. So yes, you need to build up his ability to be calm when you're not around.

Do you walk them together in the morning? Does your girl readily toilet on-leash? Will he follow her lead if she does?

He might also benefit from an Adaptil collar and diffuser, rather than the spray. I imagine the spray dissipates rather quickly, and the collar and diffuser both will give a continuous amount. If he wants to collect things with your scent, see if he will be happy with an old shirt or towel that you have worn that he could have for his own. Or sleep with a particular stuffy that he gets when you leave.

It's also good to remember that even though your two are siblings, they are still individuals, and will each have their won quirks and requirements.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If he collects your dirty clothes on his bed when you are gone he might benefit from you giving him a worn shirt which smells of you to keep in his bed when you leave. It may calm him and help him to feel more comfortable.

And perhaps you can take him for a solo walk in the morning and take time for him to poop. I know it means getting up even earlier than before and you wrote that as a problem but I guess your boy might need the special attention for a time.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

At what times are you feeding your hounds? You really can help regulate when they have to go by knowing how long they take to digest their meals.

Can you increase the morning walk to 30 minutes? That extra ten minutes of activity could help get things moving for your boy. If not, try a combination of jogging and walking with the dogs.

I have found for bonding, there is nothing better than a good group obedience class. I've taken almost every Greyhound I've adopted to classes. It is fun for the dogs and it teaches them to look to you for guidance. Having them learn to obey you in distracting situations around strange dogs and people, and getting a solid recall are important. You can not duplicate this type of learning situation at home.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

How many opportunities does Remy have to relieve himself in the morning? Mine have a quick turnout when they first wake up, then breakfast, then they go back out for a quick P/P if they "forgot" the first time, then again two hours later before I leave for work for the day. They need time to digest their morning meals and then an opportunity to P/P before having to wait until I get home. Maybe adjust the feeding/turnouts a bit?

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

You need to get up earlier and take them /him for an extra long walk. Every single day.

Walk until he poos, then praise praise praise.

He will eventually learn to poo while on leash, but you have to put in the extra effort to help him figure it out.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thirty minutes may not be enough time. Unfortunately he's on his schedule, not yours.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest SonjaAndStella

Thank you all so much! Yes, I walk them together in the morning. I can definitely start to walk him alone and see if that makes a difference. Stella potties readily, and he doesn't seem to follow her lead. I really like the idea of doing a group obedience class. He picks up on things quickly (besides "down"- he can't get that one haha). I feed them at about 6:30 am and 6:00 pm. I only take them out once in the morning. I can take them out again right before I leave and see if that helps.

Guest SonjaAndStella

I will say- Stella typically, but does not ALWAYS, readily poop in the morning. But she never will poop inside. She always pees readily in the morning and if she doesn't poop, will hold it til lunch.

Also, I am at my parents house visiting this weekend and he does seem to readily potty in their large back yard. I don't have a back yard where I live though.

I feed them at about 6:30 am and 6:00 pm. I only take them out once in the morning. I can take them out again right before I leave and see if that helps.

Two trips ought to make all the difference in the world. Good luck.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Step by step, how would you suggest I go about alone training for him?

There are lots of threads on that...just do a search.

Patricia McConnell has a wonderful booklet 'I'll be home soon'

Anything by her is good.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

So here's what I suggest. Let them out immediately when you get up. And yes, you CAN get up earlier. Would you rather have a dog crapping in your house or 30 minutes less sleep??

Bring them in, then feed them. Wait 30 minutes (this is when I drink coffee, watch the news, decide what to wear, etc.). THEN walk them. Most dogs will poop within a certain time period after a meal. If you're walking them BEFORE you feed them, that could be a problem.

Perhaps I missed the sequence above and if so, disregard! But most dogs I think need to go out twice. Once to empty their bladder from holding it all night, and a second time after they've had time to digest breakfast.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck