So this is probably a goofy thought.

My beautiful new friend, Morrie, is up for his rabbies. So I want to take him in for his shot. His other shots expire in October. Do I do everything together or go back in October. I'll get the 3 year rabbies (he's 4 now).

Thanks!

At least a couple of weeks between vaccines. If he gets them all at once and then gets sick, which vaccine caused the problem?

My guys get bordatella oral vaccines twice a year, and I don't mind doubling that vaccine with one set of injections. But I don't do DHLPP and rabies together. (And my guys are on the 3-year rabies shot.)

Make certain you're not late on the 3-year shot. In some places, you can't get a 3-year shot if you let the previous shot expire.

Also, just as a precaution: don't get the last appointment of the day. Leave enough time that you can sit in the waiting room for 30 minutes or so afterward, just in case he has a reaction.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Never have had a problem with rabies and DHPP at the same time every three years. Not one of my vets has ever been a big believer in bordatella outside of boarding situations. Almost any groomer/kennel/daycare will give inter nasal for around $10-$15 and I've given it to dozens of dogs.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

In Germany it is a common thing tomgive the vaccines together and I never had problems with them - rabies, 3 years and the rest once a year.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

When was the last dhpp? Some clinics are still old school by giving them yearly-most if not all clinics are giving them every 3 years now

That said it's commonplace to give the rabies and the dhpp vx in the same appointment. Those can be combined with the bordetella vx.

Lyme and Lepto are or should be given separately and are usually given with a prior Benedryl admin.

For at least 7 years now, my dogs get at least 4 weeks between vaccines. Vaccines are intended to instigate an immune reaction and having too many immune reactions going on at the same time is not necessarily a good thing. More vets and people are starting to pay attention over the last decade or so to what vaccines to give and over what period they should be given.

I have never gotten the kennel cough vaccine. It's only necessary if you're going to be boarding the dog.

I don't do bordatella vaccines, but there are situations other than boarding that might warrant it. Some of those include attending doggie daycare, frequenting the dog park, or living in an area where the new dog flu is prevalent. Everyone should discuss with their vet about their individual dogs.

As far as giving multiple at a time, I won't do it. I came across a study once that I have since been unable to find again that reported a significant increase in risk of side effects when multiple vaccines were given at a time. And consider that the DHPP is already multiple vaccines in one so I would definitely do that separately from rabies. And as others have said above, you only need to give that every 3 years, or consider titering rather than re-vaccinating. The only downside to titers is that they tend to be more expensive than the vaccines, which sucks.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We had Grace's titer panel done at UWMadison. Your Vet can draw the blood and send it to the Dr. Ronald Schultz Laboratory at the School of Veterinary Medicone. Dr. Schultz is one of the top Immunologist in the world and leads the Rabies Challenge. We had her distemper, parvo, and rabies done. She is well protected against all of the diseases.

Guest Sportingfields

We've always split up all vacs, minimum 4 weeks in between. After initial shot, 18 months in between, not yearly and follow 3 years rabies as per our state law. At a healthy 10 years and older ran titers and only gave vac if needed. Bordatella is given yearly in March which coincides with yearly well dog check up. Never, ever give shots with sedation. We don't do dog parks or day care although we do walk daily where other dogs and wild creatures frequent, so protecting them is vital in our situation. Also we frequently travel and my concern is rest stops, motels and other common areas where dogs are walked.

I give Heartworm -1st of month, Flea/tic -15th of month and plan any shots the week in between. Have never had a negative reaction following this schedule. Immune compromised pups would be under vets care and I'd follow my vet recommendation.

I spread them out as well.

Ry had a light reaction to the Lepto shot (and in hindsight I always said no to this in the past and for some reason just accepted that he needed it and he didn't really had to, but I'm in an area with coyotes and raccoons and we hike so and one little lick of urine and boom). Anyway, he was a little "off" the next day, but he happened to get that shot the same day as a new Tick prevention called Bravecto started, so I actually don't know if it was that or the shot that affected him. So learn from us, and just do one at a time to find out how they handle it.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Be honest with yourself about the likelihood of forgetting to come back in later. If you won't, spreading them out is fine, if you might, I'd do them together. I would prefer to separate Frontline and Heartworm, but realistically, that substantially increases our risk of forgetting one so we do them on the same day. I only do Bordatella in dogs I feel are in high exposure situations--so previous dog sitter, with just their two dogs, nope. Current situation, where there are sometimes up to 10 dogs (still in a wonderful home environment) from different families, yes.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I guess part of splitting up shots is if multiple ($50 here) office visits are in your budget.

As far as HW it is given here religiously year around but Advantage (we don't have ticks in this old area for some reason), washing everything and Adams spray happens when I spot a flea, not every month....more like once or twice a year. I plan to use Pitou as my flea alert in my future. Fleas like nothing better than white.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I guess part of splitting up shots is if multiple ($50 here) office visits are in your budget.

As far as HW it is given here religiously year around but Advantage (we don't have ticks in this old area for some reason), washing everything and Adams spray happens when I spot a flea, not every month....more like once or twice a year. I plan to use Pitou as my flea alert in my future. Fleas like nothing better than white.

I don't know what's typical, but when I used to split up Patrick's, I wasn't charged for the second visit. But I only split them by a week.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.