Ruby Is Changing Quickly

Ruby has always been a bit quirky when it came to loud noises, such as thunder, fireworks, etc..... the last few weeks, she has decided she is afraid of the ice maker in the fridge (not new), the BBQ when it contracts and expands outside, and today the cord for the sliding door. We decided to take her to the vet to get her looked at, and he found nothing wrong. She had blood work about 2 months ago to check her levels and her thyroid. He said everything looks great, and she probably is getting dementia, which was mentioned to us by our old vet about 8 months ago. He also said there isn't anything to do for it.

Tonight and last night, she has went out for her last turn out, and stood and stared at me instead of going. I told her about 10 times before she finally shook her head and headed out. Both nights she also has refused to come back in. Last night I went out and tried to get her to come in with her collar and she planted all 4 feet into the ground and wouldn't budge. My husband came home shortly after that and carried her in. Tonight, same thing, only she won't let me catch her. I tried cookies and er jerky treats, nothing. I left her a few minutes and then went back. She just runs from me. My husband will be home in a couple hours and will corral her and bring her in. I left the light on and she has a cozy bed she loves on the deck, but she is lounging on the grass right now.

This is scaring me. Any ideas on what to do ? I thought about taking her out on a leash, but she will not, and never has, peed or pooed on a leash.

Ideas ? Suggestions ? Medications ? She will be 9 next month.

Karen

Hugs - this must be very sad to see. Not something I have had to deal with myself but here in the UK something called Vivitonin is often prescribed for doggy dementia, apparently with good results. It may be called something else in the States, but here are the details: http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/birds/prescriptions/v/vivitonin-tablets-50mg.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Karen, this is so worrisome. I don't have any advice so can offer only sympathy and along with the rest of us, an ear to listen.

A question: Ruby was boarded for a week (?) when you were on vacation. Do you think that could have something to do with it? Has she shown different behavior when she's been boarded before?

They do continue to change, but this is obviously more dramatic than liking a new stuffie. I'll be following this to see what info comes through.

Edited by Feisty49

Scary, frustrating, worrisome :bighug I have never had to deal with a dog with dementia, but have had two cats with what I call kitty Alzheimer's.

I believe there are some drugs you can try, sometimes they work, sometimes not. In the short term, can you let her out dragging a leash? Might make it easier to catch her, but you might still need your DH to carry her in. Unless the weather is bad, I'd just let her stay outside until she comes in on her own.

I believe there are others on GT that have dealt with this, hoping they will have better advice for you.

thank you, I will research that medication.

Marla, yes, she was boarded about a month ago, at the same place she always goes to. She has been fairly normal since, and we were seeing some changes prior to this. We have had a couple workers here off and on, but she wags her tail and visits them all, and her bed and things have not been affected at all. It is almost daily that we see a new fear, or behavior. Our vet says that dementia can come on slowly or quickly. I hate to think that is what it is, but there are no other explanations. So hard to watch her confusion. After trying 3 times to get her to come in last night, I finally called my husband to ask him to get her when he got home. Around 5 AM, he came in with her and said she ran right in like she normally does. It was just getting light, so I wonder if that is part of Sundowner disease ? I don't know, I am just so sad to see her this way.

Karen

Really quickly, what is the lighting like outside at night? If she can't see as well as she used to it could contribute to the symptoms you are seei g. Same inside, leaving brighter lights on or a nightlight if she need it could help. I'm not disputing the sundowners or dementia but these suggestions re lighting have helped my seniors. Hugs for you and your pretty girl.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Amber

Both my oldies went onto Vivitonin, seemed to help, but think they were more about the age of 11 or 12 when they started getting dementia.

Maybe you could try some of the OTC anti-anxiety meds (though can be a bit pricey some of them), Adaptil, Calmex etc first to see if it's more of a being unsettled/anxious thing?

Then if there are further signs of dementia go back to the vet to ask about drug therapy?

Hope she feels better soon.

Thank you all for the replies. I have tried every anxiety med I could find OTC, and nothing has helped her.

The lightning is mainly just the loud thunder here. We do not see a huge flash of light in our area more than once every few years. She seems to see and hear fine, I asked the vet to check both when we were there.

9 seems young to me for dementia, but I just read an article about a man that has Alzheimers at age 29. I guess we won't really know if this is what it is or not, but her symptoms sound like it.

I will investigate the Vivitonin. I asked the vet about meds, and he said that they really don't work, just a way for the companies to make money. I will still ask him again.

No problems tonight after last turn out. She ran right in the house and into her cage. Good day for her.

Karen

Practically speaking, your problem is solved by taking her out on a leash for her last outing.

There IS medication for dementia, although I'm not sure how well it works.

Has her vision been checked? Because she might have night blindness. I had a mixed breed acting really weird on me, and it turns out he had a degenerative eye condition which made it very difficult to see in the dark and he was reacting to shadows and such. Keeping him on a very short leash at night and limiting our walks was all we needed to help him.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yes, her eyes have been checked, and all looks well with them.

She will NOT pee or poo on a leash. She never has, never will. We have walked her miles and miles, and she will wait until she is back in our yard, behind her favorite shrub to poop. So leash walking at night just makes both of us cold and tired.

Karen

Can you set up a smaller pen off the deck with a couple of X-pens? That way she isn't on a leash, but you should be able to catch her.

My twelve year old tripod is deaf. Recently, when she goes out late at night, I have to bring her back in. She just settles down in the dirt to sleep, even if I leave the door open. She can't hear me calling, so I have to grab her collar. Once she sees me, she does come in. It's like she thinks she has to stay out there until I come get her, even when she sees the other dogs go in. I have only had her for three months, but this behavior is new. I understand how frustrating this can be. Good luck!

Hmmm, our nongrey is becoming very flighty at loud or sharp noises and is no longer responding to quieter noises that she used to, so we think she is losing hearing so her world is quiet except with sudden noises that frighten her. She often misses the doorbell, people coming into the house, and our calling her for food or walks. It is hard to check sight acuity and hearing in animals, but in a nervous animal I would think that changes like this might make things even more nerve-wracking.

I hope you can find the cause and help her as best you can!

Hmmm, our nongrey is becoming very flighty at loud or sharp noises and is no longer responding to quieter noises that she used to, so we think she is losing hearing so her world is quiet except with sudden noises that frighten her. She often misses the doorbell, people coming into the house, and our calling her for food or walks. It is hard to check sight acuity and hearing in animals, but in a nervous animal I would think that changes like this might make things even more nerve-wracking.

I hope you can find the cause and help her as best you can!

I am pretty sure that Ruby has some hearing loss too. Lately we have to yell or bang on something hard to get her to notice we are there. She doesn't seem to hear me walking up to the door to let her in until I open it. The last 2 days she has acted completely normal again. Poor girl, I don't want her to age............

Karen

Oh gosh, I'm sorry this is happening, and seemingly rapidly as well. What if you go out and in with her in your yard....maybe she just wants some reassurance someone is there while she does her business? Have you tried a Thundershirt? I got one for Ryder that did NOTHING for him, but for some it appears to work. It is a very snug sweater, that makes them feel secure, I wonder if that would help?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015