Wound Between Toes

Guest WildSparkler

Guest WildSparkler

Has anyone had to deal with wounds between the toes? Roxy had gotten a scrape or something a few weeks back after a play date between the middle knuckles on one of her back feet (I don't know if 'knuckle' is correct dog anatomy or not.. :dunno ). I couldn't tell if it was a scratch or it almost looks like the skin wore down from rubbing, because she doesn't have any fur between her toes.. Anyway, when it happened I cleaned it, and put some neosporin on it, and kept a boot on that foot while we were gone at work so she couldn't pick at it. It seemed to get better, and heal up pretty well, until today. I just noticed a little blood between her toes again today. I took this picture before cleaned it up again, so once the blood is gone it doesn't look as bad (plus my phone camera is crappy), but the skin looks pretty raw. Could it be possibly caused by knuckles rubbing together? Do you recommend a different course of action to get it to heal better? Thanks for any input!

IMG_20160606_191732_zpsrrlir6oo.jpg

I would cold laser it if you have a vet near you who does that. Zuri once punctured his foot in between his toes with a stick, leaving a pencil sized hole. Cold laser really sped up the healing. Also used a product I love that I am brainfarting on - will post the name in a bit.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I like adding Vetricyn spray to a wound like that after it has been cleaned. And if you have some Purification (Young Living Oil) or Animal Ointment (again, Young Living), I would apply those as well (in that order). I wouldn't bandage, but would muzzle a hound that was licking on the wound.

BTW, Riley got one of those wounds (running through mulch) and it was healed within a week. It was still tender, though, so I will be watching for re-injury for the next few weeks.

I keep colloidal silver on hand for just such an occasion. It keeps bacteria away and speeds up healing, but it's basically water that evaporates and not an ointment that stays on. I use this on all kinds of cuts. It was my go to with Kasey the klutz. Looks like it will likely get rubbed and injured again though based on it's location, so ointment will help reduce the friction it seems like. Do you have a tall yogurt container? Fill that with some warm water and epsom salts and put paw in there for 5 mins to soak. Do this twice a day to promote healing and keeping it clean, apply some ointment afterwards and no licking! While I might consider putting gauze between the toes, it's more difficult to KEEP it there, so just leave it open to the air and see how it goes.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

If you use the boot again, I would definitely put a small roll of gauze between the toes to help promote air circulation. Do epsom salt soaks once or twice a day, and keep the foot clean and dry the rest of the time. You will want to limit crazy zoomies or other maneuvers that are hard on the feet for a couple weeks until it's all healed up. Cold lazer is wonderful, as is colloidal silver. I also use the spray on neo as opposed to the cream or ointment as it doesn't require you to touch the wound, and dries pretty quickly.

Since it's in between the toes keep an eyes on it for infection.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest WildSparkler

Thanks for the ideas! I did the gauze once with the boot, I wasn't sure if that would help or cause more friction. I will try some epsom salt soaks and can you just get colloidal silver at any drug store? The problem is she loves to burst into wild zoomies on walks, which probably was part of the problem.. :rolleyes:

Our Krogers has colloidal silver, but it's in the holistic/natural dept. Some pet stores are now carrying it too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly