Premium Edge Kibble

Wondering if anyone here is using any of the kibble formulas made by Premium Edge. (I know it's a Diamond Product - that doesn't thrill me but isn't a deal breaker)

We feel like Rocket needs a switch after being on the same kibble for many years, and maybe even a protein switch. He used to have bouncing poops most of the time unless there was a flareup of tummy issues. More recently, his output is more inconsistent and ranges from great to pudding with no rhyme or reason as to when it happens. He continues to be on Tylan for the Stress Colitis.

I just picked up a small bag of the Premium Edge Senior which is lamb-based. The reviews on it were pretty good, and it is always a trial and error situation with him when trying to change kibble. I was hoping to try a couple of the Rachael Ray formulas, but the first one gave him liquid poop, so I decided to try the Premium Edge based on various reviews i found that made me think it might work for him. (Before anyone suggests it - he hates the IAMS Green Bag - BTDT)

After 1 meal last night containing 1/3 of Premium Edge and 2/3 his regular kibble, his coat feels like velvet. He has soft fur anyway, but this is unbelievable. After eating his breakfast this morning his fur just keeps getting softer.

If the lamb doesn't cut it, I may try a different formula of the same food. Anyone else using Premium Edge?

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I feed mine Premium Edge Skin and Coat which is salmon based. They love it and their coats are super smooth. The lamb was too rich for them but the salmon is just perfect. I mix Olewo carrots in too and their stools are really firm.

Thanks! One of the reasons I went with the "Senior" formula was that it was lower fat and not as "rich." We've never had much luck with richer foods like TOTW and others, so I'm hoping this goes well. If if doesn't, I may have to try a food that is intended for weight maintenance and hope I can strike a balance between it being rich and Rocket constantly being hungry.

We've tried Salmon based foods in the past, and those are pretty much off the list as far his tolerating them.

Thanks again for the reply!

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I used Premium Edge for years. It was a "non advertised" brand that nobody had ever heard of, but it worked really well for the dogs I had at the time. I had a chow hound that insisted he needed to eat more volume, and he did really poorly on the really good foods. He did fabulous on Premium Edge, and I started feeding it to my other grey, that was on a "better" food, and she did really well on it too. So I stuck with it for a really long time. I posted on GT about it several years ago, just to clue in people to an option that they may not have heard of.

The pet store that carried it went out of business so I couldn't get it anymore, and after trying different foods, I found 4-Health, the Tractor Supply brand, and I was very happy with that, too. It's very similar to Premium Edge in price and quality. Mid grade, which works really well for some dogs.

I used Premium Edge for years. It was a "non advertised" brand that nobody had ever heard of, but it worked really well for the dogs I had at the time. I had a chow hound that insisted he needed to eat more volume, and he did really poorly on the really good foods. He did fabulous on Premium Edge, and I started feeding it to my other grey, that was on a "better" food, and she did really well on it too. So I stuck with it for a really long time. I posted on GT about it several years ago, just to clue in people to an option that they may not have heard of.

The pet store that carried it went out of business so I couldn't get it anymore, and after trying different foods, I found 4-Health, the Tractor Supply brand, and I was very happy with that, too. It's very similar to Premium Edge in price and quality. Mid grade, which works really well for some dogs.

Side note - my Sobe -black grey with super-sensitive skin, had NO itching when he was on Premium Edge. And, his black coat was actually BLACK. No dull brownish like it was on other foods. And so soft. He had no allergies that we could pinpoint at all, but the right food made his skin and coat SO much nicer. The higher quality foods didn't help at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Side note - my Sobe -black grey with super-sensitive skin, had NO itching when he was on Premium Edge. And, his black coat was actually BLACK. No dull brownish like it was on other foods. And so soft. He had no allergies that we could pinpoint at all, but the right food made his skin and coat SO much nicer. The higher quality foods didn't help at all.

Sorry for the delay in responding to this. I just remembered to check this thread.

Rocket is doing great on the Premium Edge Senior. I'm noticing several changes:

1. His fur is bunny soft and even more so for a few hours after he eats.

2. He is not constantly asking for food. He will never turn down a treat or food, but previously he was always telling me that he was hungry by smacking his lips. He has completely stopped doing that. (He is pretty good at communicating and I'm pretty good at understanding. We pretty much have spent 24 hours a day together for over 7 years)

3. Any itching that he was doing has stopped.

I think he really needed the change of protein source. We went from a chicken based food tht he ate for years with good results until recently, to the Premium Edge Senior which is lamb-based.

There's a pretty good chance that the TSC food is the same food or similar since both are made by Diamond. We have a TSC about 10 miles from here, but for now I'm still ordering medium sized bags of Premium Edge from Amazon Prime instead of buying the large bag. I figured that if I buy a huge bag, he will stop eating it or we'll discover some reason that he can't eat it. BTDT too many times. :bgeorge

Thanks for the reply.

I have used Premium Edge Senior for my girls for several years with good results. I did the "test" thingy on it and it scored well, along with being price point I liked better than some of the others. It is not as readily available, but a local independent feed store carries it. I also mix in pumpkin and other cooked veggies as well as feeding yogurt every day. Stools are nice and firm. Suzie's coat is just naturally softer and more bunny like than Lorraine's, but both are nice and shiny. It works well for my girls.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

I have used Premium Edge Senior for my girls for several years with good results. I did the "test" thingy on it and it scored well, along with being price point I liked better than some of the others. It is not as readily available, but a local independent feed store carries it. I also mix in pumpkin and other cooked veggies as well as feeding yogurt every day. Stools are nice and firm. Suzie's coat is just naturally softer and more bunny like than Lorraine's, but both are nice and shiny. It works well for my girls.

Good to hear that it has been working well for an extended time. One of Rocket's issues lways seems to be that a new food will be good for a while, then we start having issues. Hopefully our success will continue.

Thanks!

I may have to look into this for Ruby. I recently switched her over to Rachel Ray grain free, but after the first few days, she seems to not be interested in it. I have to doctor it up with liver sprinkles, broth and other treats to get her to eat it at all. Her coat is also looking dull, so another reason to give it a try.

Karen