Radiation For Osteo

We just had our radiation oncology consult for Zuri. Still processing everything, but my gut response is stereotactic radiation is not the magic "cure" I had hoped it might be and probably involves a level of treatment that I am not willing to commit to when we might not get the result you'd hope. The treatment itself wound involve him being sedated 4 times in a row, every other day, which is a lot and there are slightly greater risks of side effects, plus we would want to commit to doing chemo and bisphosphonate treatments in conjunction.

So I am leaning toward trying palliative radiation therapy. We would go with the 2 treatments on 2 consecutive days and they can get him in on Tuesday/Wednesday. My big concern is the potential delay until it takes effect. Unfortunately with the weekend coming we can't start sooner (of course :rolleyes: ) and he said with the majority of dogs who see benefits you see them within 7-14 days. A smaller number see them sooner and an even smaller number take longer. About 20% (although I've heard quotes ranging from 10-25%) see no benefit.

All of this to ask, those of you who have opted for any sort of radiation treatment, I would love to hear about your experience. Would help to know the exact treatment you chose and how painful or progressed the tumor was when you started. Thanks yet again my awesome GT friends. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Are you still touch with Eliza anymore? I think she initially tried radiation with Cookie. She might be able to offer some insight.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Are you still touch with Eliza anymore? I think she initially tried radiation with Cookie. She might be able to offer some insight.

Thanks. How long ago was that? Radiation treatments have improved a lot in recent years so hoping for recent experiences.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I would have been in the last 8 years :P Probably closer to 8 years ago than not.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Taylor's Osteo was in his right front "wrist".

Started with once a week for 4 weeks of radiation, along with the bone strengthening drug Zoledronate every 3 weeks.

No side effects from the radiation, other than the hair came off in the area treated, after around 5 weeks.

But the bone had already been compromised by the cancer, and started to break.

Diagnosis was January 10, 2015 and amputation was April 10, 2015.

He was just ROARING around the back yard like a lunatic.

The problem with SRT radiation is that it still doesn't prevent a pathologic fracture but, neither does palliative radiation.

The SRT radiation I'm familiar with is ct planning and then 3-4 treatments done on consecutive days--palliative

-a ct scan then one a week for 4 treatments.

In 2011 we treated Arlie with Pamidronate, then the biophosphonate of choice, and palliative radiation. Her tumour was in her left rear leg. She responded very quickly to the radiation and other than being very tired the next day, didn't seem to experience any side effects. She was also on oral pain meds, but with that combination seemed to feel really well.

However, as tbhounds points out, radiation in any form doesn't address weakening of the bone due to cancer, and indeed, a couple months in Arlie tripped and fractured the leg. As factures go it could have been a lot worse (it was a green stick fracture) but there was nothing that could be done for her and we let her go.

In some jurisdictions (unfortunately not ours) your oncologist can dispense a morphine or similar syringe, so that if this happens you can address the pain quickly and give some relief until you can get your dog in to the vet or the emerg.

I am so sorry you are facing this. :grouphug

We did palliative radiation for Effie, starting in August 2014. We caught her osteo pretty early. She got about 4 really good months out of the first session (she was getting pamidronate monthly as well). We had to do another round in December, and it did help again, but not quite as dramatically. We also switched her to zoledronate monthly at that time. She lasted until early March 2015, and then the pain was too much and we had to put her to sleep. The cancer had also metastasized at that point (she started coughing up blood the day we euthanized her).

Edit to add, her tumor was in her right humerus.

Edited by EffieGrey

Effie (Nadine's Effie), Carmen (PHX Downtown), & Benny (the chihuahua)

Thanks everyone!

The problem with SRT radiation is that it still doesn't prevent a pathologic fracture but, neither does palliative radiation.

The SRT radiation I'm familiar with is ct planning and then 3-4 treatments done on consecutive days--palliative

-a ct scan then one a week for 4 treatments.

Here - or at least what was offered to me - SR is CT + 3 treatments every other day. Palliative you have the option to do once every week for 4 weeks or 2 consecutive days. We both agreed 2 consecutive days is best for Zuri. We already have the CT so they will just do a quick lateral x-ray that day.

I am waiting for the doctor to call me back - he needed to review the CT scans more carefully and I have a few follow-up questions and then I will decide, but I am pretty sure I'm going to try the palliative. We talked about the risk of fracture, but it's only a 10% increase in risk that he suspects is often due to increased activity more than anything else, while with the SR it's 35%. That number scares me a bit, as does the 4 sedations in a row. Plus you're committing to chemo and Zoledronate treatments with the SR and Zuri has a historically low WBC count, which could complicate chemo, plus he's got this big spleen. We can still pursue those additional treatments if the palliative goes well, but I won't have put Zuri through so much (or spent $5500) counting on being able to do them.

Still mulling things over though...

Edited by NeylasMom