Tell Me About Dap Collars

I know nothing about them, but I've slowly been coming around to the idea of getting anxiety meds for Ryder. Loud noises just completely shut him down and he shakes and pants and if it happens on a walk, I end up getting dragged pretty good.

A truck just drove by our house, big rig loaded with supplies to build other homes down the street. He didn't see it, only heard it, and started shaking like a leaf. He does this also if I run my tassimo machine. He nearly fell apart last week when I had work done on my house. And naturally our luck, entry doors were being hung at the vet on Tuesday with his nemesis Mr. Drill.

Would a DAP collar help? How does it work? What does it do?

These sounds are not in my control (aside from the coffee maker) so I cannot predict when he'll have a bad walk. Garbage day is almost guaranteed though!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

You don't know until you try, but for noise anxiety I would probably try Composure as well. You can do both and if it helps worry later about which you remove. Or if cost is an issue I'd probably try the Composure first (you can double the dosage if you think it's helping a little but not a lot). If neither of those help, straight l-theanine is where I'd go next. 100 mg 2x/day, make sure it's just Suntheanine and no Xylitol (human supplement is fine).

There is also Zylkene. I have less experience with it because it's more expensive, but do know some for whom it has worked.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

You don't know until you try, but for noise anxiety I would probably try Composure as well. You can do both and if it helps worry later about which you remove. Or if cost is an issue I'd probably try the Composure first (you can double the dosage if you think it's helping a little but not a lot). If neither of those help, straight l-theanine is where I'd go next. 100 mg 2x/day, make sure it's just Suntheanine and no Xylitol (human supplement is fine).

There is also Zylkene. I have less experience with it because it's more expensive, but do know some for whom it has worked.

I second the l-theanine suggestion. Works wonders for me! I used it on Daisy while she was adjusting to my house and it helped her settle in (she was a wreck - everything outside made her nervous). You can get it on amazon. One of my local walmarts had the 100 mg capsules too, but the other didn't. Worth checking!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

I agree that you won't know until you try. Every dog is different.

DAP is a pheromone produced by lactating bitch when they give birth to soothes the pup. The pheromone is in the collar and with the heat of the dog, slowly diffuses in the air around him. That's also why the collar must NOT get wet. It says it lasts for 4 weeks, but it was mostly 3-ish for us. The thing I know is that when I opened the collar package for Jack, he sniffed frantically around it. Same when we bought the diffuser, he had left for his walk, when he came back, the diffuser has been plugged for 5 minutes and he went on a search around the house to look for the smell. We never smelled anything.

It made the difference for us for separation anxiety, he went from barking ALL day to barking every hour or so in a week. Which was very impressive at the time. When the collar "ran out" at 3-ish weeks, he broke out of his cage in panic. Then we bought the diffuser and all was well, we don't use it anymore.

It isn't magic, but for us it took the "edge" off of us leaving :) I bet it could have the same effect with loud noises and thunder, although I would perhaps try the spray for that use? That way when you know something is coming, you can spray his bed or his blanket instead of having a collar all the time.

It works so well for us, I already bought a collar for Charlie for his international flight. Hoping it will help him.

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Fwiw, I think the spray is pretty useless. Maybe in addition to the collar or diffuser, but on its own, meh. :P

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

This is helpful. Am I able to get this through my vet at all, or I should find a place to get it? Amazon.ca isn't always as friendly as the .com for buying things.

Locket, where did you get yours?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

I would urge caution when using "natural" supplements such as l-theanine.

My vet recommended Valerian Root extract, and within weeks George's liver values went WAY up. She was mortified, having recommended it without doing any research because a friend of hers used it on himself.

I'd talk to my vet before giving him anything orally.

As to a DAP collar, I use one on my cat (only the cat version) and it helps him a lot. He has been marking.

DAP diffusers helped George with his SA. Never tried the collar but at the very worst it will not do anything.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

This is helpful. Am I able to get this through my vet at all, or I should find a place to get it? Amazon.ca isn't always as friendly as the .com for buying things.

Most vets don't carry this stuff, maybe Composure. DAP is in most stores at twice the cost of Amazon, but they often have the diffusers and not the collars. Any health or supplement store will have l-theanine though some brands are more reliable than others so if there's a brand you trust go with that one (I like Enzymatic Therapy and take it myself). Composure is usually in some pet boutiques, but not Petco, etc. I would not get an alternative calming chew, you want Composure specifically. Basically I'd check Amazon first and go from there.

As for the comment about safety of supplements, always a good idea to run things by your vet, but l-theanine has a HUGE safety range. Its just an amino acid, not an herbal supplement so I really wouldn't worry. If you do discuss with vet, it may be helpful to know the dog version is labeled as Anxitane. Anxitane is available without Rx but is much pricier than the human supplements.

Edited by NeylasMom

Sorry hadn't seen your comment!

Amazon.ca (3 week shipment...) Or the vet ($). I went to my nearest vet and they had it.

Edited by locket

Thanks guys. I'm planning to speak to the vet about this on Saturday when we go in for Ryder's re-check for his eyes and then try to figure something out. I love going there armed!

Proudly owned by:

I've used both the Sentry and Adaptil collars on whippet Winnie because she had gotten very anxious when we would leave the house. The Adaptil collar didn't work for her but the Sentry one did. It took the edge off so she was just a bit calmer but her personality still came through. In reading about both collars, I've seen that sometimes one collar will work for a dog while the other doesn't and vice versa. The Sentry one worked for Winnie but either one might be worth a try. It took about a week for it to take full effect and I could tell when the 30 days was about to be up....her anxiety started increasing. I think I used it for about 5-6 months but she's fine now so I've stopped using it. Our local Petco and Petsmart stores carry both but it's cheaper on Amazon. Because it can take some time to be effective, you may want to try finding one locally and if it works, order more on Amazon.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I tried them with Toula but they didn't work...I have heard success stories from other people though, so it may depend on the dog. I have an extra that you can have if you want to try before spending $$. :) I got mine at Globals. Not sure if mine is the same type of collar that people have mentioned here. The one I have has "mother dog" pheromone on it plus a few other relaxing essential oils.

This is the one that worked for Winnie:

http://www.sentrypetcare.com/products/sentry-calming-collar-for-dogs/

We also tried this one but it didn't work as well:

http://www.adaptil.com/us/Adaptil/Adaptil-Collar

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

After reading this info and the links, I'm kinda wondering why I've been waiting so long. I'd love to give this a shot.

So best to try one for 30 days and then a different brand if it doesnt work?

Also, he is naked when I'm not home. I'm assuming this collar is safe to be left on when i'm not home?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

Yes to leaving on. It would pull off if it got caught on something. I would definitely give it a few weeks. I made the mistake of not trying it long enough the first time around. I was going to put Zuri on meds for his SA and thought I'd give the collar a shot and it helped. Like above, he lets me know if I forget when it's worn off. I had first tried the diffuser btw, not the collar and I think part of the problem was his crate and the diffuser were by a window that was open a lot because of the season so I think I was diffusing the world. :P

Fwiw, the Adaptil collar has studies to back it's efficacy. I don't know of any for the other collar (doesn't mean they don't exist) or how the ingredients differ.

Edited by NeylasMom

After reading this info and the links, I'm kinda wondering why I've been waiting so long. I'd love to give this a shot.

So best to try one for 30 days and then a different brand if it doesnt work?

Also, he is naked when I'm not home. I'm assuming this collar is safe to be left on when i'm not home?

Definitely safe to leave on, you will see, there is no locking mechanism and I was always afraid of it dropping off at the dog park.

Lurcher Nutmeg came home from the rescue kennel wearing an Adaptil collar, I was lucky that the the day before I collected her the kennel had put the collars on all their dogs to help calm them down.

As I have no idea what her temperament was like before I got her I assume it helped with the transition to my home, she seemed pretty laid back about it all. (She had been found wandering loose a few weeks before I got her). I bought another collar after she seemed a bit jumpy as the original one came to its 30 day limit but haven't invested in another, she does seem more vocal now but that could just be due to the fact that she is settling in now.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Is this my best method of defense against his noise anxiety? Do I have blinders on to anything else out there? I really would prefer not to medicate but I dont know if other options are out there. Training is out! Been there, done that.

Proudly owned by:

Vet could order in an Adaptil collar for $60. No pet stores near me carry that nor the other version. That looks to be the going rate for the on Amazon.ca too. https://www.amazon.ca/P-Collar-Appeasing-Pheromone-Size/dp/B000O5FPQ0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1465075065&sr=8-6&keywords=dap+collar

Apparently there is a "size" of adaptil? Maybe indicating width? Which one do I order - med/lg?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:

You only need a small/puppy for a greyhound neck. That price is insane. We pay about $20/collar.

We have used the Adaptil collar on our spooky Remy with great success. We have also added the diffuser and put a collar on the timid foster. It seems to have helped her, and she no hangs out in the room with the diffuser, Remy's room. I have to say Remy has become more outgoing, we've had him 2 years in August. He will come up to us to get petted now, where this was not his personality previous to having an Adaptil collar.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps