Eye Infection?

Since Saturday Ryder has had a small about of whitish/green discharge in the corner of his eye first thing in the morning. Again a little later in the day. Sunday same thing but a little more. This morning, well you get the picture... I should know better but I'm guessing it's an eye infection and not his eye trying to flush something foreign out? No issues with seeing, no squinting, no rubbing even, just some not the right color stuff in the corner of his eye. I also gather it won't go away on it's own? Anything I can do or is a trip to the vet in order?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Vet or canine ophthalmologist

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

I remember when Kasey had "dry eye" and his eyelid was sticking. That scared the crap outta me! Booked for tomorrow at 4pm. Doesn't look like the "pus" is subsiding. Ugh, I can only gather that he somehow got this from his half day at Dogtopia last week :(

Proudly owned by:

Sent home with Tobrex (Tobramycin). Turns out he's got two small ulcers on the infected eye so couldn't have steroids. 2 drops 3-4 times a day for probably more than a week. Recheck on Saturday. She asked me to put a cone on him to prevent any scratching......don't have one, not gonna. He hasnt fussed with it other than a little last night so I will take my chances.

Wouldn't you know it they were rehanging the office doors outside. He had a complete shut down when we were there so now even the vet's office is a bad place and it wasn't before. His nemesis Mr. Drill was loudly boring away. Sigh.

He's so maxxed right now. Calm soothing thoughts appreciated.

Proudly owned by:

Guest MnMDogs

It just took us 2 months to heal Greg's eye ulcer...we were actually considering a grid keratotomy since it was taking so long to heal. The only advice I can give is to make sure he absolutely doesn't scratch it. For us that meant keeping him comfortable with either atropine ointment or tramadol.

I hope you have a quicker recovery!

Could he have developed an ulcer first and then got the infection? Or is it always the other way around (the scratching due to irritation and infection causes the ulcer). I'm not familiar with eye issues. His eye is red today for the first time. I caught this as quickly as possible but gee I never thought it might take weeks to heal.

Proudly owned by:

Guest MnMDogs

The first time Greg had an issue it was ulcer then infection (from what we could tell), next time ulcer only. I learned from the opth that the antibiotics that were prescribed the second time were used to prevent infection (erythromycin 3 times a day). I assume the first time the RX was to treat infection. But abx aren't used to heal the ulcer, that should just happen with time.

Also older dogs (I was sad to be reminded Greg is middle age) take longer to heal and sometimes don't. Fortunately Greg has healthy eyes otherwise and we were able to heal him up with time.

Oh and it shouldn't take weeks to heal- we were told healthy young eyes can heal very fast. Hopefully that's what you're dealing with!

How do ulcers develop? I know I was quick to condem doggie daycare for catching an infection there (which was the only change in his environment to cause it IMO). This came out of nowhere, just trying to understand it. Vet said whike its highly contagious its unlikely he got it there because it would have needed direct transfer....

Proudly owned by:

Thank you. Also I assume its physical trauma? He's had a hell of a lot of mental trauma from anxiety lately that's for sure.

Thanks for all these answers. I'm at a loss.

However, 24 hours since we started drops and his eye is already no longer oozing pus, and redness has drastically reduced much to my surprise.

Proudly owned by:

Guest MnMDogs

Could be anything. For Greg it's been Macy's tail, but I once inadvertently scratched Mork's eye which caused an ulcer, it could be debris, it could be anything. But yes, physical tauma.

Glad to hear he's improving.

Edited by MnMDogs