Panting. Is My Grey Okay?

Guest Mossy

Guest Mossy

It started 3-4 days ago.

I've had him for weeks. He's 3 (4 next month)

No particular pattern.

He lays down right after eating and we take a 30 minute walk before meals... not vigorous... literally walking and pooping.

Not sure if it is the weather... I live in CT and we got our 1st 80-90 degree weather this week. He does it outside too... even on evening walks.

Not sure if this is an emergency... he seems comfortable, doesn't seem to be in pain. Sometimes its shallow like in the videos and sometimes its slower but still audible.

Here's 2 videos...

He had just chewed on a bully stick, maybe 1 hr...

Again, this has been going on for the last 3 -4 days.

Was quite worried last night, kept coming downstairs to check on him... he actually came out of his crate to lay on his dog bed...

The healthcare person in me is freaking out that he had endocarditis from his teeth (he bleeds at times when we brush teeth)

I'm also freaking out that I've made him overweight... his ribs are a bit lessvisible since he's been home.

Edited by Mossy

Guest MnMDogs

Seems warm. What's the temperature inside? Anything above 75 in our house and Macy is panting.

Edited by MnMDogs

Guest Mossy

Seems warm. What's the temperature inside? Anything above 75 in our house and Macy is panting.

Thanks.

It was about 75 deg...

I just officially turned offthe heat this week but hadn't turned on the AC yet...

Guest MnMDogs

Gotta love New England! Our AC has gone out on our main floor, and Macy isn't happy...

He may just prefer it cool like Macy does :)

Same here, also in CT and our 2 (an 11 y.o. girl and 4 y.o. boy) have been dragging on walks the last few days and panting tons.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Try spritzing him with some water.

I keep a spray bottle handy and spritz their bellies, necks and groins. Cools them down nicely.

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest FordRacingRon

Although my girl pants almost all the time, it is for different reasons as she is 13. But when she was younger anything over 80 was too much, then every year she got a few degrees less heat tolerant. She got to the point that anything over 70 was too warm for her. We ended up getting a new central air to keep her cool (but we like it too!). Panting can be a sign of pain but I doubt that for you,,I too vote for heat.

I've had 2 or 3 hounds who always panted in the heat even when they were younger. Sometimes they don't pant as much as the hot weather continues and they get more used to it. Sometimes they do. The two precautions I take re 1) walk in the early mornings and cooler evenings; and 2) not feed a panting dog -- I'm worried s/he will suck food right down the airway. I don't have any scientific basis for this. :)

If your bank account doesn't like you turning on the a/c, try just a fan blowing near (maybe not directly on) where he is hanging out. Some dogs love the moving air; some don't.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

So, now you should address the weight issue.

:)

If even you think she's gained too much weight, then I guarantee you she has.

Cut back on meals and treats until she regains her previously svelt figure. It's easier to get a pound or two off than 10 or 20. There are no benefits to being overweight, especially if you're a dog with long skinny legs.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Ellen's suggestion of a fan is a great idea. On a hot day Seamus loved to lay in front of a box fan to enjoy a stainless steel bowl full of ice cubes.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.