Oncologist With Zuri - *update: It's Osteo*

^ This ^ We do the best we can with the info we've got. You're all doing your best to get good info. Sending many, many good thoughts.

I have you and Zuri are in my thoughts and prayers today. I so agree with Kudzu .

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are waking him up now. CT showed much clearer signs of the lesion in the left leg, including into the something something part of the bone (corticosomething - basically the hard part) so basically osteo. I opted not to do the biopsy in light of that, but forgot to ask if they were able to get the needle in for an FNA so hoping they did.

The right shoulder and rest of the bony areas they looked at looked good. They do not think he has bone lesions elsewhere, including the right shoulder.

However, his spleen was huge. Like apparently very very large and u-shaped and pushing other organs around. We did an ultrasound in April of last year because of his drinking/peeing and the only finding was that his spleen was enlarged, but not like this (though vet said sedation can increase size of spleen temporarily). The internist at the time discouraged biopsy as she felt strongly that his symptoms were stress related and they do seem to have been based on us being able to resolve them for the most part. So all of this to say, I okayed them doing a few FNAs of his spleen.

I'm not remembering everything, but she did say there wasn't one large mass, it was more nodular (points less to hemangio) and that if it were hemangio that had spread, we would expect to see the cancer in primarily a different part of the bone and probably in a different location.

So a lot is still up in the air. Spleen could be benign, or he has weird presentation of hemangio (please dear God no) or he has 2 different cancers. So...more waiting. Holiday weekend, no spleen results until Tuesday at least.

We're going to do a Zoledronate treatment before we leave in the meantime to hopefully address his pain for now.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It's not great. The left shoulder bone tumor was expected although receiving confirmation still really sucks.

No other signs of bone cancer elsewhere is definitely good.

The spleen is bad. Obviously how bad depends on the path results, but anything cancerous is going to influence our treatment plan. Even if it's benign, I'm not sure huge giant spleen is great as presumably it's going to keep growing.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Splenic enlargement is common after receiving induction agents (esp ketamine) and ghs have huge spleens normally-so hopefully that's all it is. Lungs clear?

I'm sorry -this sucks. F'n OSA

Thanks. She mentioned the spleen enlargement from those, but said this was too huge for just that. When he had the u/s he was not anesthetized so we do know he had some enlargement already back then. I'm working on getting the radiology report from back then in case it's helpful.

Yes, lungs were clear.

Jen,

Thinking about you bunches...his lungs being clear means you have some time to figure stuff out at least. You will do the right thing...that I know!! And do the right thing for him....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I'm so sorry the news is not better. Hopefully they'll find him a med cocktail that will keep him comfortable. And maybe an adult beverage or three are in order for his mentally exhausted mama. :grouphug

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I'm so sorry the news is not better. Hopefully they'll find him a med cocktail that will keep him comfortable. And maybe an adult beverage or three are in order for his mentally exhausted mama. :grouphug

Couldn't have said it better...thinking of you

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Sorry you're going through this. :( It's so hard when they're sick not to feel helpless. I hope the meds give him some relief while you wait for results.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

We are headed home. He is still REALLY dopey. I'm hitting my breaking point. I just hope I can get him upstairs when we get home.

:grouphug Jen

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

Aw, Jen :(:grouphug. Also, are they taking into consideration gigantic greyhound spleens? When I saw Dr. Couto last weekend, he indicated that they are *way* larger than "normal" dog spleens.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

dignity, quality of life(both your, his and the other hounds in the house), pain management and life expectancy all need to be considered. i see you are making a flow chart, are you including these in as well? hugs- life can suck at times.

Edited by cleptogrey

dignity, quality of life(both your, his and the other hounds in the house), pain management and life expectancy all need to be considered. i see you are making a flow chart, are you including these in as well? hugs- life can suck at times.

Unfortunately, Jen has been through this before.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I'm sorry you are going through this again. Lots of scritches and belly rubs to Zuri.

Spoil him rotten.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We're home. He's resting.

Thanks to everyone who kept me company, gave input, and offered support. Don't know what I'd do without my GT peeps.