Preventic Question

I bought a couple of Preventic collars for the boys so I wouldn't need to use a topical. I've never had an issue with Frontline, but we just don't get fleas where I live and I figured we'd go with just tick protection. I was getting out the collars and read the box and became a little alarmed. Apparently, you're not supposed to touch the collars without washing your hands afterwards. My dogs, especially Crow, are cuddlers and they sleep on our bed and are always up on the furniture with us. Crow in particular loves neck scritches, which would result in coming into contact with the collar. Have any of you who use Preventic had any issues with (human) reactions to it?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I switched to Preventic collars a few weeks ago and had the same question. So far I don't worry too much about touching the collars and have not had any adverse reaction to doing so. I pet both dogs around the neck and just try not to touch the collars too much. Will be interested in other responses here.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

I switched to Preventic collars a few weeks ago and had the same question. So far I don't worry too much about touching the collars and have not had any adverse reaction to doing so. I pet both dogs around the neck and just try not to touch the collars too much. Will be interested in other responses here.

:nod

No issues here.this is our 3rd year to use them.

I do remove the collar when I go on Therapy Dog visits.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I ignore all that fine print. I've used them for five years on many dogs, since I usually have five dogs at once! I have dogs sleeping on the bed with me, and have touched the collars many times. I would rather touch those that the greasy frontline spot. No fleas here, either. The collars work because I get lots of ticks on me and none on the dogs!

Edited by Neighsayer

I guess the other thing is, whatever active ingredient is on the collar must, presumably, move around and coat the entire body of the dog -- otherwise it would not work to detach/kill ticks. So touching the collar might mean getting a higher exposure, but there must be some exposure where ever you touch the dog (unless the collar does not actually work :-)

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Just rember-no kitty contact.

My kitties have all passed away :(

Thanks, everybody!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

No,as long as you don't decide to wear one yourself you should have no problems. Used them for years/put them on and take them off each morning before I leave for work and we all sleep together. No issues. We LOVE them. They are effective and I believe them to be much safer than some of the topicals.